Losing bookmarks

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Post by Guest »

D'oh, I missed a few things, in between the lines....

right clicked the mouse (in the IE browser), clicked "select all"

and

Exported the Bookmarks on to my Desktop
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your supposed to SAVE the file onto your desktop.

Then click Import/Export in the same IE browser

Then click "Export Favorites"

Export to a "File or Address"

I think that was it.

Sorry.

Post by Guest »

Actually, let me add to that....once you Export to a "File or Folder" (I Exported it to my "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox" folder) ........ go back to Bookmarks Manager in your Firefox browser, and import your bookmarks from that same folder, and I think thats fnally it........heh.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Well anyway, you figured it out, even if you have a hard time describing how you did it. Congratulations.
Win 10 Pro x64, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 core, 3900 MHz (4450 Turbo), AMD Radeon Vega (integrated graphics). 16GB DDR4-3200, Firefox 124.0.1, Developer Edition 125.0b5, Nightly 126.0a1.
kyteroo

Post by kyteroo »

What do MAC users do? control/alt/delete does not work on MACS. My profile page can not be found either. I have a 2 1/2 year old nephew that keeps insisting on throwing firefox in the trash. So, I always lose all my bookmarks. The extension does not work on MACS. So, I realize I should use only the multi- bug proned PC. However, I have a father who insists upon using MACS. I do not own my own computer yet. I am just frustrated with all these programs and features that refuse to work with macs. Macs are the only system that does not crash because of viruses and the only system that no one makes programs for! (oops, linux has same problem). Please help! [What if kid throws out IE? Can he throw out IE?]

Post by Guest »

I find it funny that several people refer to problems with MACS and NO ONE has responded. Are MACS really a apiece of bloody shit that can be laughed at?? We are laughing at the all you stupid pc users who have bugs and viruses galore that WE MAC USERS DO NOT HAVE!

WHY DOESN'T ANYONE COME UP WITH A SOLUTION FOR MACS!!!!! WE DESERVE EQUAL ATTENTION! WE ARE NOT BLOODY FOOLS. ONLY THE MANIC ONE TYPING THIS IS! EXTENSION FILE HAS TOO MANY BUGS AND HAS BEEN PROVEN TO NOT WORK ON MACS. WE WILL NOT DIE. SO YOU MIGHT AS WELL CREATE A PROGRAM THAT WORKS FOR US! If I ever figure out programming, I will go to town. And write all the programs that should exist for macs and linux but don't. Fat chance. I suck at flow charts/math.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

There is Mac information at this link: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder
Win 10 Pro x64, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 core, 3900 MHz (4450 Turbo), AMD Radeon Vega (integrated graphics). 16GB DDR4-3200, Firefox 124.0.1, Developer Edition 125.0b5, Nightly 126.0a1.

Post by Guest »

Yes, Mac owners are. Everyone knows that know one gives a royal hoot about macs, except another mac owner. However, when I quit IE, it crashed and wiped out all my book marks. Never did find them. However, what I did, was save links to all my bookmarked pages on a free web site www.livejournal.com. Another site one can use it www.tripod.com. Both are pretty reliable and usually do not lose data. AND THEY WORK WITH MACS!!!!!!! Plus, livejournal is at least in read mode only when they are having problems. Plus, they are extremely quick to work out problems.
Jaydlyn

Post by Jaydlyn »

All I've got to say is FIX this. I've lost my bookmarks twice now. Yes it *might* be an easy fix for me, but you see I gave up IE, so the book marks there are old, and sites I rarely need. I can install the ext... but my ext's are missing as well. One good thing, my history is there, so I'll go surfing and rebookmark.
Firefox has not prompted me about profiles, when I last closed it down, there were no odd behaviors. There is no bookmarks-1.html, no Found.00 file... Just gone. FIX IT!!! I love the program but this is a headache.
Jazie

Post by Jazie »

Hi,
I've done the above searches both ways, and I get this message:
"cannot find the file 'firefox.exe' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct & that all required libraries are available."

And other tricks I can try ?

In the mean time, I did import the old boookmarks & will d/l 'Bookmarks Backup 0.3.1'

~Jazie
Jazie

Post by Jazie »

sorry, when I said I followed the above, I was refering to this advise:
Close Firefox.
Open Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del) and look in the 'processes' list and if you find 'firefox.exe' then highlight it and click on 'end task'.

Now go:

Start > run, and type in: firefox.exe -p

That is firefox.exe<space><hyphen>p

That should launch Profile Manager and you should see TWO profiles listed. The original 'default' one has all your old settings. Delete the new one you created and launch with the old one.

If the above path doesn't launch Profile Manager, you may need to enter it as follows instead:

Start > run > firefox.exe -ProfileManager
FoxFan2005

Bookmarks Problem

Post by FoxFan2005 »

Hi,

Encountered a similar problem today, where after an OS crash, when I started Firefox again, all my bookmarks are lost. I read this thread and none of the solutions offered work for me.
Any additional thoughts on how to get my lost bookmarks?

Thanks.
Hazemi

Post by Hazemi »

This is like the fourth time this has happened to me.
I wake up, turn on my computer, open firefox to browse the internet, AND ALL MY BOOKMARKS ARE GONE.
I can't describe how annoying this is, because I don't do anything wrong. Just load up firefox!

Last time I did this I couldn't find the backups. Maybe they exist somewhere, but I don't know.

THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. I like firefox, but I can't use it if my bookmarks are going to dissapear every two weeks!!!

please email me if you've had this problem and learned how to solve it.
Last edited by DanRaisch on December 16th, 2010, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed email address per forum rules -- http://forums.mozillazine.org/faq.php?mode=rules#f4r4 and user request.
docs89gta

Post by docs89gta »

I've had the same problems and nothing has been found yet. I've never been asked to make a new profile, i always close out Firefox by clicking the "close" button. I have actually lost mine when i was done and closed out Firefox and came back about 30 minutes or so later and re-opened it and NO more bookmarks. It seems with this many people with the same problem, it would/could be fixed. I am starting to go back to IE alot more now to make sure i do have my favorites in a safer place. So far the only thiing i haven't done is the download but i will be trying it and seeing if that works. But IE doesn't have to have a download help it. I hope this gets resolved soon.
frankenc

Post by frankenc »

This has happened to me three times. The first two I had back-ups and assumed it wasn't Firefox's fault. Now I know it isn't and I'm somewhat upset. The end.
Kyteroo

Post by Kyteroo »

THE ONLY SURE FIRE WAY TO NEVER LOSE BOOKMARKS:

This works for all computers, all makes and all models. It only requires you to sign up for a free tripod account or livejournal account. I highly recommend doing the simple page start up on tripod and pressing the +link button on the bottom of the page while in site builder to copy a link over to that site. for livejournal (also free) type in using "<" an d">" brackets instead of the [ ] the following code: [A HREF="http://www.thesites addressIambookmarking.com"]the name of site I booked marked [/A]

The links always work. Their servers rarely lose data. And I have had no data loss issues in 2 years. When I used firefox, even my history was erased. It had not been 9 days yet. It had only been 12 - 16 hours. By the way, livejournal IS Ad free. Tripod is NOT! (I do not work for either company just found a solution that has worked for me.)