Seamonkey Project - Proposed Alternative Name Archive.

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Scarrow

Seamonkey Project - Proposed Alternative Name Archive.

Post by Scarrow »

While certainly not the most important matter currently in need of consideration.
A possible name change from the venerable, but apparently unpopular, <em>SeaMonkey</em> moniker, has gleaned some considerable attention, following the <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/seamonkey-transition.html">announcement</a>.

Herein, I would like to gather all those currently scattered, disparate suggestions into a cohesive list, for the sake and consideration of those who will eventually be steering the project.

Please post your suggestion herein and perhaps a <em>short</em> paragraph long blurb as to why you believe your particular proposal should replace that of <em>SeaMonkey</em>.

<strong>Please refrain from off-topic chatter/commentary.</strong>

If you desire targeted feedback, start your own specific thread for discussion.
Please just post your label and your blurb.

I will compile the list here and once I've harvested a number of thoughtful suggestions, I will move them over to their own page on the project <a href="http://wiki.mozilla.org/wiki/SeaMonkey:Home_Page">Home Wiki</a>.
I will expand the list, of course, as suggestions roll in.

Thank ye kindly for your consideration. 8)

(Appearing in order of suggestion).

<strong>Notice: Any suggestion that employs <em>"Mozilla"</em> or <em>"Gecko"</em> will be discarded. As per Mozilla.org it is <em>highly unlikely</em> that we'll be allowed to make use of these in any official naming capacity, any longer.
So, please refrain from prefixing/suffixing your suggestion with<em>"Mozilla"</em>or<em>"Gecko"</em>!</strong>

After having delved into some of the discussions on the <a href="http://groups-beta.google.com/group/netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey">Netscape.Public.Mozilla.Seamonkey</a> developers list, the use of the suffix <strong>"-zilla"</strong> is also extremely unstable ground that's best not tread upon.
So I'll be editing those out, per developer recommendation.
Please avoid it.

Although <strong>"Moz"</strong>, per <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/trademarks/policy.html">Mozilla Trademark Policy</a> (scroll down to the <em>Related Software</em> header) is still a useable suffix/prefix.

Also, if you know a name has already been laid claim to by another piece of software, then please don't suggest it.
These will be removed.

Everyone recalls the <a href="http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=3082&message=59&state=reply">Firebird DB debacle</a>.

<a href="http://www.google.com/">Google</a> your proposal before posting.
If your search returns more than 1000 hits, then it's probably best to move on to a different suggestion.

A little research beforehand goes a long way.

<strong><ins>The List:</ins></strong>

<strong>Thumper (Chris)</strong> - Navigator Internet Suite

<em>Navigator is one of the better-remembered terms for the Scaly Beast over the years, and "internet suite" is what the suite is.
It uses an existing series of terms and doesn't sound cheesy. I'd be highly surprised if AOL didn't have the trademark for Navigator (or Communicator) though. </em>

-

<strong>Paul</strong> - (Owl)Suite/MarcoPolo Suite

<em>I like the name Owl or Owl Suite. The owl is a symbol for intelligence and would produce a fine logo.

MarcoPolo Suite. Marco Polo was a Medieval explorer and his image would lend itself well for a logo for the suite.
</em>

-

<strong>GNTMN</strong> - Bear Suite

<em>It'd be an (I think) ideal name because it is a real survival story of an animal that was near extinction,but
is now making a comeback in some areas.</em>

<em>Another Idea would be "Bear Suite" there are 3 reasons.
1)It stays with the Mozilla penchant for naming its apps after animals
2)The bear is an animal that many can relate to.
3)If the name is changed to this it'd make a nice addtion to the
plush toy collection at the Mozilla Store</em>

-

<strong>Hangnail</strong> - Hydra/Strada/Constellation/Rosetta/Meridian/Sextant/Astrolabe/Leviathan/Shen-Lung/Zephyr

<em>
Hydra is also an option but not as (IMHO) cool sounding. Many heads on a core "body".

Strada - Italian for road. Other language speakers can chime in for words meaning road, highway, etc ... might be a way to go (pun intended).

Constellation: A stellar group of 'starts' to navigate by ... a bit cheezy but still cool and I think different enough to avoid dupes. If anyone knows of a specific constellation that was important for early navigation perhaps that would be useful. I know big dipper was one but is a little corny. I think it was also known as Ursa major (big dipper), but I'm not sure

Rosetta: Like the map symbol used to dileneate compas directions - more on the navigation theme

Meridian: Another naivation term that might apply (means longitude)

Sextant: Navigation instrument

Astrolabe: Another celestial navigation instrument

Leviathan: A serpent-dragon so large that its coils encircle the Earth. Leviathan holds his tail in his mouth to keep the world from falling apart. The coils of this huge beast are multi-colored and so bright that they outshine the sun. Leviathan is armed with huge, terrible teeth, and scales. This biblical creatures nemesis is Behemoth despite their being created together when the universe was forming. I particularly like this one as it has that all encompasing nature to it.

Shen-Lung: The mightiest in power of the eight orders of Chinese Dragonhood. The Shen-Lung's realm is the sea, sky, sun, moon and all of earth's soil. Good and bad weather are under the Shen-Lung's control. The Shen-Lung is very powerful thus lazy. To avoid work of any kind a Shen-Lung need only shrink to the size of a mouse and hide. If lightning strikes a house or trees that is because the Thunder God sent his servants to search for the lazy Shen-Lung. Together with Ti Lung, they make up Wang Lung. Shen-Lung is the Chinese New Year Good Luck Dragon that appears in festivals and parades in a vast assortment of colors.

Zephyr: (Greek mythology) the Greek god of the west wind or a refreshing breeze.

</em>

-

<strong>Jezza</strong> - OpenMoz Suite

-

<strong>mmcguigan</strong> - XI Suite/Netnizer/Uniter/NetWorker Professional

<em>XI Suite "The Cross-platform Internet Suite"

Netnizer "Organizes your internet"

Uniter "All your internet needs in one place"

NetWorker Professional "Works for you." </em>

-

<strong>UncleVR</strong> - Spider

-

<strong>CaetckGurl</strong> - Navigator Millenium/Navigator Millenium Suite/Navigator InterSuite/Navigator Web Suite

<em>My first choice would be Navigator Millenium because it has a well known history and identifiable about what the
product is, anyone familiar with the product knows its a "Suite",
so no need to include it in the name, on the Home page it could
explained that the product is a suite of internet applications. </em>

-

<strong>Philonius</strong> - Lupa

<em>Roman lupa, who took care of orphans</em>

-

<strong>L Squared</strong> - Heliodore/Web Schooner

<em>Heliodore, a golden gem of many facets, uncommon word, unlikely to clash.

Web Schooner, sail the web with a full suite of functions.</em>

-

<strong>asteko</strong> - Ana

<em>Noone has done this yet, but different from animal-like or Mozilla-related names, I recommend Turkish word ana (pronounced /un-ah/) for the new application. (Ana as brand name with capital a.) This is the word I've been using to distinguish Firefox, Thunderbird and the main application, Mozilla Suite, who gave birth to Firefox and Thunderbird. Ana means mother (who gives birth), base, main, origin, core, essential. I think Ana is able to reflect what lies behind Mozilla Suite. It is also easy to remember.</em>

-

<strong>schapel</strong> - MozSuite

<em>The name doesn't seem to be currently used. It's fairly self-explanatory and builds off the Mozilla name recognition. </em>

-

<strong>herbalist</strong> - Open Websuite

<em>Open Websuite.
Component names:

Open Navigator
Open Composer
</em>

-

<strong>bwrobinson</strong> - NetLizard/WebLizard

-

<strong>MerlinHK</strong> - Dragon

<em>The connection to the original Seamonkey is obvious, but does not violate any Mozilla trademarks. Also, designing a good logo would be easy. </em>

-

<strong>bleyz</strong> - Wyvern/Drake/Drake2

<em>Wyvern: Seen on the wiki, and think it's a great name, and compact

Drake or Drake2: Not in use that I know of, strong and compact </em>

-

<strong>BamseIsUnix</strong> - Midian/Midian Suite/Midian OpenSuite

<em>It begins with an M like the original product. It's very easy to remember and pronounce, just like Mozilla was. It doesn't have any specific meaning: it's just a place name mentioned in the Old Testament (Bible). It's not very much used (although it's a Cradle of Filth album Shocked). If it's being written with the same font as the original Mozilla logo, the name transition shouldn't be too painful.

The final, registered name of the suite would then be Midian Suite or why not Midian OpenSuite (combining previous suggestions).

Sounds a bit odd at first, but one gets used to it quickly.</em>

-

<strong>emmeffe</strong> - Lighthouse

-

<strong>Cusser</strong> - OpenWeb

<em>It even encapsulates a key goal. This name also means that if AOL decides to rip it off for a release of Netscape, we can refer to it as OpenInTARW3b1.</em>

-

<strong>xandman</strong> - Legion/Tertiary/Tertiary Suite

<em>Legion can mean a large military unit (those who want to carry on with seamonkey) or it can mean a vast multitude, which is exactly what the suite offers.

Looking it up, tertiary as a noun means "From 2 million to 63 million years ago" thereby in keeping with the mozilla idea (dinosaur/dragon). As an adjective, it means "Coming next after the second and just before the fourth in position" which is right about where this project falls. Netscape, Mozilla Suite, this project and the fourth generation being Firefox. </em>

-

<strong>Joe1962</strong> - Tarentola/Albatross/Albatross Navigator/Albatross Internet Suite

<em>It's a genus of the Gekkonidae family, in keeping with the lizard theme. It climbs vertical walls, which relates to what the suite must do to get over these hard times.

The Albatross (a bird, if anyone doesn't know) is a long distance flier, which "navigates" the skies over the oceans. It has a huge wingspan which allows it to soar effortlessly for long distances.
</em>

-

<strong>Rickkins</strong> - NetSweet

-

<strong>w1cpo</strong> - Navigator Complete Internet Suite

<em>This really is what the Suite represents... a complete package.</em>

-

<strong>javonera</strong> - reMoz Internet Suite/Bramido Suite

<em>"re" gives idea of something that's done again.

Bramido is the spanish word for the "roar" that bulls and other savage animals make. Gives the idea of a robust, powerfull product that wants to keep it's "territory". It's completely independat from the kind of names related to MOFO, but still keeps a connotation with animals.</em>

-

<strong>Gyges</strong> - Drake/Phosphorus

<em>
Drake - another famous sailor and fits with the dinosaur/dragon concept of some of the others.
Phosphorus - Latin for light - bringer and harkens back to the old Netscape logo, downside close to Lucifer.

-

<strong>MilesTeg</strong> - OpenInternetSuite

<em>"Open" like OpenOffice/OpenSource and "Internet" because it´s about email, irc, usenet, web... = the complete internet suite</em>

-

<strong>meinsen</strong> - Mozoo

<em>speaking name.
contains moz.
short. </em>

-

<strong>Ernest</strong> - Marzipan/Mozipan

<em>Phonetically it is similar to Moz Open.
It is also a sweet which serves as an English language pun on suite</em>

-

<strong>robbage</strong> - Brahma/Tantrix

<em>"Brahma", an Hindu mythical creature/being with many heads.
"Tantrix", something multiple involved there :)</em>

-

<strong>adamhauner</strong> - Mocko Internet Suite/Moscape/Moite/Sumo/Mozaline

<em>Mocko Internet Suite (MOzilla geCKO)
And some less interesting:
Moscape (MOzilla netSCAPE)
Moite (MOzilla suITE)
Sumo (SUite MOzilla) </em>

-

<strong>wsm</strong> - Sweet

<em>provocative
simple
recognizable
double meaning
seems unlikely to have comptetion for the name http://www.google.com/search?q=sweet+tm
not geekish (both good and bad)
the challenge - a logo/icon to go with it</em>

-

<strong>BenoitRen</strong> - StarDrake

<em>It keeps with the dragon/drake theme, and when I saw someone suggesting a name relating to stars, I thought of combining it. It also connects with Mozilla's logo of the dragon's head in a star.</em>

-

<strong>DJGM</strong> - Seascape Internet Suite

<em>It retains the first part of the SeaMonkey name,
and since the whole Mozilla Suite was largely thanks to Netscape releasing their source
code in the first place (one of the best things Netscape have ever done) the second
part of my suggested name gratefully doffs it's cap to it's Netscape legacy.</em>

-

<strong>tommytoyz</strong> - Zeppelin

<em>German for Blimp</em>

-

<strong>HighlandSun</strong> - CyberDrake

<em>I suggest CyberDrake, to drag in the connotation of cyberspace.</em>

-

<strong>kef vurge</strong> - Kaisaru

<em>So perhaps Kaisaru. Which I think should be a rough combination of sea (kai) monkey (saru). I do not know what the actual word/phrase for real sea-monkeys (Artemia salina) would translate to. Perhaps saru could be morphed into saurus (lizard) since they are near in spelling. Though (to me) a word containing 'saurus' seems a little cumbersome phonetically. There are no companies, products, or technologies named Kaisaru.</em>

-

<strong>Sunny Rabbiera</strong> - Tempris/Whiterabbit/Barnstormer/Resurrection

<em>Tempris: a name I made up
Whiterabbit: to keep with the animal names.</em>

-

<strong>bleyz</strong> - Alice
<em>
Has a similar ring to other popular software such as Maya, Amaya, Operaand such (2-3 syllables without consonant clusters).</em>

-
Last edited by Scarrow on March 18th, 2005, 7:50 pm, edited 44 times in total.
Thumper's Evil Twin

Post by Thumper's Evil Twin »

Navigator Internet Suite. Navigator is one of the better-remembered terms for the Scaly Beast over the years, and "internet suite" is what the suite is.

It uses an existing series of terms and doesn't sound cheesy. I'd be highly surprised if AOL didn't have the trademark for Navigator (or Communicator) though.

-Chris
schapel

Post by schapel »

<i><b>Gecko Internet Suite</i></b>. The name <i>Gecko</i> is more widely known than <i>SeaMonkey</i>. For example, the user agent strings of all Gecko-based browsers contains the string <i>Gecko</i>. This name makes perfect sense -- it's the Gecko-based suite of internet software.

Edit: fixed spelling of "more".
Last edited by schapel on March 13th, 2005, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
DEFIANT

Post by DEFIANT »

gecko (suite)...

youll save more on car insurance, by swithcing to gecko. =p
E=mc²
Paul

Post by Paul »

In other forums some have liked the name iSuite. Be aware that this name is already taken http://isuite.nwcg.gov/ .
Paul

Post by Paul »

I like the name Owl or Owl Suite. The owl is a symbol for intelligence and would produce a fine logo.
GNTMN

Post by GNTMN »

Are the guys that chose the name aware of what a seamonkey is?
To have a mozilla app named after those little critters that a kid put in water. It was a lame product & to me since I had those as a little whipper that name=lameness!
The suite's logo is still that T-rex why not Mozilla T-rex!
A strange idea hit me while writing this, Mozilla has a firefox, a thunderbird, & now a sunbird.
How about Mozilla Wolf, it 'd be an (I think) ideal name because
it is a real survival story of an animal that was near extinction,but
is now making a comeback in some areas. Sound just a little
familiar?
Life is a journey, live the journey, because every
destination is the door to another.
Scarrow

Post by Scarrow »

GNTMN, in order to save me unnecessary editing of the list, please stick to the format I've outlined, and save any excessive commentary for other threads.

Make your suggestion and leave a concise justification.
That's all I'm asking. Thank you.
Keeping in mind that it is highly unlikely that we'll be able to employ the old Mozilla brand name.
larrybpsu

Post by larrybpsu »

How about: NetClique?

I was looking throug M-W for the definition of suite....I ended up at 'clique.' It ties in pretty well with the project and it's purpose.

:( probably scratch that...there's a netclique.net out there.
Philippe-Pierre

Post by Philippe-Pierre »

Hi,

Whatever the name, it should be "international", i.e. easy to understand and pronounce whatever your motherly langage is. I think we should keep that in mind. The name "Mozilla" is a perfect exemple...
Regards

Philippe-Pierre a.k.a. pierre_h
----
* Dedicated to software which sucks less ... http://suckless.org/
GNTMN

Post by GNTMN »

Another Idea would be "Bear Suite" there are 3 reasons.
1)It stays with the Mozilla penchant for naming its apps after animals
2)The bear is an animal that many can relate to.
3)If the name is changed to this it'd make a nice addtion to the
plush toy collection at the Mozilla Store
Life is a journey, live the journey, because every
destination is the door to another.
ray alex

Names?

Post by ray alex »

Navigator Internet Suite : YES nice.
If not then, maybe Lizzard?
Last edited by ray alex on March 22nd, 2005, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rickkins

Post by Rickkins »

-=WebZilla=-

Still keeps a touch of the old...catchy, compact, on topic, short and "suite"... :wink:

And I'm sure graphic types could whip some interesting "Spider-Godzilla" type monsters.... :mrgreen:
buggy

Post by buggy »

I think Suite should be just Mozilla. At least that's the name everyone I know knows Mozilla as just "Mozilla". Or "Mozilla Suite".
Hangnail

Post by Hangnail »

Cerberus (3-headed guardian of the underworld - mail, news, web) for those who are mythologically inclined ;)

Chimera would have been better (as it has 3 different heads) but the Camino folks tried this one and I think there was a cofliclt a la phoenix and firebird.

Hydra is also an option but not as (IMHO) cool sounding. Many heads on a core "body".