Update themes!

Discuss application theming and theme development.
LoudNoise

Re: Update themes!

Post by LoudNoise »

Personas are a picture that appears at the top of the browser. Themes (err, "real Themes") are not.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
James

Post by James »

willarson wrote:Thanks James. How do they differ?

Really? what you linked to is basically toolbar wallpaper and therefore should not even be called Themes, while the Real link I posted is to the complete themes on a.m.o, the ones where it can take a lot of time and effort to make and maintain as they can change the appearance of pretty much everything in Firefox.
willarson

Post by willarson »

O.k. The walnut on my browser is a 'real' theme whereas the 'wallpaper' is just at the top. I f that's right then I got the jist of it. Thanks.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

willarson wrote:whereas the 'wallpaper' is just at the top. I f that's right then I got the jist of it. Thanks.

You should have worked that one out before you posted here.

How likely is it that Patrick would have been posting here as he did about something that is 'created' in less than 10 minutes, like these are? - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/developers/docs/themes
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
willarson

Post by willarson »

Not everyone has your technical knowledge. Most of us 'COMMON' users search 'Themes' because they are there. We come here to learn, not to succumb to condescending comments.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

To sum up: *everything* you see in Firefox that isn't a website is a part of a Real Theme. Every icon. Every line. Every font. Every color. Every menu. Every single part of the browser interface is controlled by a Theme. Be that the "Default Theme" or one created by an independent designer. You know how much work it is to come up with a solid design and build a working interface out of it? Maybe ask Mozilla why it's taken them over 2 years to deliver on the Austrialis re-design with dozens of people working on it and it's still nowhere near finished. That's the amount of work that every single Theme designer does, quite often with only a few weeks to fix major changes that come down the pipe that Mozilla has spent months on with an international team.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

willarson wrote:Not everyone has your technical knowledge. Most of us 'COMMON' users search 'Themes' because they are there.

You don't need technical knowledge to realise that Patrick wouldn't be kicking up so much fuss about something that takes only 10 minutes to do.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
GCG

Post by GCG »

James wrote:
willarson wrote:How hard can this stuff be? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/developers/docs/themes Can't find what want? Make your own

That is about Personas Themes which are not even close to Real Themes ;)

IMHO, Mozilla should only worry about their default theme, stop pushing Personas, provide a standardize theme interface for current and future releases, and nothing else. Let the independent theme development alone, to do their own thing.

GCG
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

Good grief I haven't been here in months and the first thing I see is how the same old debate is still alive. As the saying goes, "The more things change, the more they stay the same." Good to see you again Aaron, Frank, and Patrick!!!

For folks who think creating a theme from the bottom up is easy, I have just three words... Try it yourself.

Then I have two more... Good luck. ;)
Still passionate for Mozilla themes and extensions, just not actively developing them for public release anymore.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Since the OP seems to have disappeared is there any reason to keep this open? Your choice folks.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Not much reason except to say hi to CatThief!
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Hi Cat :)

LoudNoise wrote:Since the OP seems to have disappeared is there any reason to keep this open? Your choice folks.

The OP disappeared because they had nothing left to add.

Now imagine if we could force the OP to return to this thread every 6 weeks and spend 3 or 4 hours writing another post and checking that every word was right...even though they had nothing new of interest to add. How hard can that be?

I ask because that is what it's like to update themes these days since 'Rapid Release'. ;)

Yep, time to lock this, I reckon.
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

Not before I can say: Hi Cat! :-)
Silvermel - A Theme for Firefox and Thunderbird
YATT - Yet Another Theme Tutorial
Don't give a man a fish. Teach him how to fish instead.
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

ShareBird wrote:Not before I can say: Hi Cat! :-)

Hey there Pardal! Great to hear from you! :D
I'm really missing the good old days when this place was lively with discussions. Times sure have changed. :(
Still passionate for Mozilla themes and extensions, just not actively developing them for public release anymore.
jivko

Post by jivko »

CatThief wrote:
ShareBird wrote:Not before I can say: Hi Cat! :-)

Hey there Pardal! Great to hear from you! :D
I'm really missing the good old days when this place was lively with discussions. Times sure have changed. :(

Unfortunately.... :?