Google Calendar momentarily not available (yellow triangle)

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
zeepster

Google Calendar momentarily not available (yellow triangle)

Post by zeepster »

Hi,

I can't write new items in my Google Calendar anymore. It says: "The calendar [user id] is momentarily not available" and shows the yellow triangle.
On my macbook, using iCal, i still can access the google calendar. Also on my iphone.

I'm using Thunderbird 17.0.2 and latest Lightning 1.9.1. How can i fix this?

Thanks

PS: This is my main calendar, on the pc. I use it every day. So i'm sure i didn't change anything for it to stop working.[/quote]

*Edit* forgot to mention i use Google Calendar. ](*,)
Last edited by zeepster on September 3rd, 2013, 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zeepster

Re: Calendar momentarily not available (yellow triangle)

Post by zeepster »

Am i the only one who's Lightning stopped working?

So far i tried removing the CALDAV and API from Password manager, restarting TB and entering the account and passwords again, no fix. :(
ssitter

Post by ssitter »

As far as I know Apple is blocking Lightning due to a bug in Lightning.
zeepster

Post by zeepster »

ssitter wrote:As far as I know Apple is blocking Lightning due to a bug in Lightning.

I use Google Calendar. It works on my macbook, just not on my pc with TB and Lightning.
zeepster

Post by zeepster »

double post
kbmcguire

Re: Google Calendar momentarily not available (yellow triang

Post by kbmcguire »

Had the same issue with all of my google calendars. Running Thunderbird Beta 24.0 and Lightning 2.6b2. I was able to restore full functionality by toggling the "Offline Support" option in the calendar properties for each calendar. Once I disabled the offline feature, they started working again. I then re-enabled offline support and everything has continued to work fine. Hope this helps.
zeepster

Post by zeepster »

kbmcguire wrote:Had the same issue with all of my google calendars. Running Thunderbird Beta 24.0 and Lightning 2.6b2. I was able to restore full functionality by toggling the "Offline Support" option in the calendar properties for each calendar. Once I disabled the offline feature, they started working again. I then re-enabled offline support and everything has continued to work fine. Hope this helps.

That worked! I could have sworn i tried that!
Thanks so much :)
primehalo

Post by primehalo »

kbmcguire wrote:Had the same issue with all of my google calendars. Running Thunderbird Beta 24.0 and Lightning 2.6b2. I was able to restore full functionality by toggling the "Offline Support" option in the calendar properties for each calendar. Once I disabled the offline feature, they started working again. I then re-enabled offline support and everything has continued to work fine. Hope this helps.

This worked for me as well, initially, but I've noticed that both of my Google calendars become disabled and have that "Google Calendar momentarily not available" message with the yellow triangle/exclamation point icon if Thunderbird & Lightning are open after my PC resumes from sleep mode. To fix that, I have to restart Thunderbird. If I just try switching on the calendar (by right-clicking on one of them, selecting properties, checking the box for "Switch this calendar on") then the calendar turns on for a fraction of a second and then becomes disabled again.

I had Lightning 2.6b2 but just today I upgraded Lightning to version 2.6, yet that did not fix the issue. My Thunderbird is the latest Beta 24.0.
Ken F. Innes IV
My phpBB3 MODs | My Site: Absolute Anime
Experience the wonder of Japanese Animation!
ssitter

Post by ssitter »

If you are using latest Thunderbird Beta with latest Lightning Beta and if you are using the Provider for Google Calendar extension too don't forget to update it too. Older releases might not work with newer Lightning version.

Keeping applications running while putting your system to sleep might cause problems. For example internet connection might not be restored yet when you resume from sleep, Lightning fails to read calendar and switches to offline mode.
primehalo

Post by primehalo »

I'm not using Provider for Google Calendar anymore, I stopped after upgrading to Thunderbird Beta 24.0.

I never had this problem before switching to Thunderbird Beta with Lightning's built in CalDAV support, and it's definitely not in offline mode when I try to re-enable the calendars.
Ken F. Innes IV
ssitter

Post by ssitter »

Google closed (or plans to close) the existing CalDAV access point to Google Calendar on September 16, 2013. If you are using Thunderbird 24 and Lightning 2.6 you can test the new CalDAV access point offered by Google.
https://developers.google.com/google-apps/calendar/caldav/v2/guide
http://blog.mozilla.org/calendar/2013/09/google-is-changing-the-location-url-of-their-caldav-calendars/
primehalo

Post by primehalo »

Yep, that's what I've been using since I updated to Thunderbird Beta 24.0. Like I said, the calendars work fine normally, the problem only happens when Thunderbird is already running and the PC wakes from sleep mode. Then they go inactive and will not sync or re-enable until I restart Thunderbird.
Ken F. Innes IV
rgloor

Post by rgloor »

I've got the same problem. The whole thing started a few days ago, when still using TB 17.0.8.
(Probabely around the 16th, when google startet to shut down the old API.)

Then yesterday, I upgraded to TB 24.0 (and Lightning 2.6).

The problem with "momentarily not available" calendars got worse. While googling for the problem, I read about the new v2 API, with OAuth 2.0.

So I setup my calendars with the new URLs.
And everything became worse.

I tried so much. Toggling off and on the Offline-Mode.
It usually works for a short while. Then however, I guess when reaching the next sync interval (I've set to 30 minutes), the calendars stopp working. It was funny, they stopped working, one after another, about the sequence and time gap, I used to set them up.

NB: I have 7 calendars to sync (1 private, 6 for different business I work in / for).
NB2: I have the same / similar problems on a windows workstation as well as on my main system, a Linux workstation.
(All systems up-to-date and patched.)
mkoenecke

Post by mkoenecke »

I ran into the same problem, so went back to the Provider for Google Calendar extension (in fact, the 0.21pre version that also syncs tasks). After a solid half hour of Thunderbird freezing after startup (I assume it was building its database - I have an old computer), it eventually unlocked and since then has been working properly. Lightning's CalDAV support has not inspired confidence, overall.
craig100

Post by craig100 »

I have the same problem. Using Linux Mint 13 and 15 with Thunderbird 24.0 and Lightning 2.6. As my Google calendar stopped working, reconfigured them from the Google Calendar provider to CalDev using the new addresses. It didn't work initially, then it did for a day, now it's stopped and won't restart! Is this a fault with Thunderbird, Lightning or Google? Whichever it is, it needs fixing FAST, so what's the plan?