Plugins: Always/Never Activate.. more choice?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
patrickjdempsey

Plugins: Always/Never Activate.. more choice?

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Is there a way to have your cake and eat it too with Plugins? I see this "Always/Never activate" choice in the Addons Manager... which looks like they've just rebranded the old "Enable/Disable" buttons. I'm also vaguely aware of Click to Play. Personally I don't have time nor want to be bothered with websites asking me if I want plugins activated every day, and I see many people having problems with it. What I would love however is to have the question for one plugin... that old evil Java (which we have to use for AC control at work), and for the rest to just use the proper DISABLED/ENABLED settings. I'm also aware of the Permissions Manager setting that allows you to choose between the incredibly unhelpful: Allow/Always Ask options... which I'm guessing just enables Click to Play. Is there no way to choose Click to Play for ONE plugin? For example:

Shockwave Flash: Always Activate

Java Platform: Always Ask

Java Deployment Toolkit: Never Activate

etc.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
morat

Re: Plugins: Always/Never Activate.. more choice?

Post by morat »

You can enable the plugins.click_to_play preference to see the ask to activate state.

plugin.state.flash = 0 --> never activate
plugin.state.flash = 1 --> ask to activate
plugin.state.flash = 2 --> always activate
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

I have "plugins.click_to_play" set to true in about:config, and my options for plugins are, "Ask to Activate", "Always Activate" and "Never Activate".

I think that would give you what you seek, but my only plugins are Flash and the IcedTea-Web Plugin for executing Java applets.

Flash: Always Activate
IcedTea: Ask to Activate
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Thanks... that's what I was suspecting. I'll see if I can get the work machine setup for that.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/