[Ext] UK TV Guide and Search

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Yoss1960

Re: [Ext] UK TV Guide and Search

Post by Yoss1960 »

As promised, I said I'd post info when I got an FF update. I discoverd a "hidden" Debian repo that has a much newer version of Firefox than is available in the usual distribution chain. I decided to give it a whirl, meaning I am currently using v19 of Firefox. After updating TV guide to v1.3.10 as well, I can confirm it works correctly; No more wierd offset caused by style non-compliance.

Obviously, something relevant has changed in FF between v10 and v19, but I've no idea what.

Cheers.
Regards,
¥ø$$1960
"The blindingly obvious is never immediately apparent"
Benjamin Markson

Post by Benjamin Markson »

Thanks for the update. Add-on developers are on the same roller-coaster - stuff changes and we try and keep up. :)

Ben.
XUL is dead. Long live the Google Chrome Clones.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Benjamin: I've just changed to using the Noia 4 theme (version 1.8.1) and for some reason the horizontal scrollbar slider doesn't appear. The scroll buttons are there though - as is the vertical scrollbar slider.

Edit: the horizontal scrollbar reappears if Noia 4 is set to "Firefox default".
Benjamin Markson

The implication is that Noia 4 isn't properly rendering the XUL <scrollbar> element. This is a standard XUL element but my add-on does change the style of its 'thumb' (that's the slider bit) to stop its width getting too small.

In skin\gude.css there is:

Code: Select all

#UKTVGuide-guide-scroll thumb
{
    -moz-appearance: none !important;
    min-width: 48px;
}

Incidentally, scrolling the mouse wheel will also shift the horizontal scroll (assuming there is no vertical scrollbar showing).

I've added a post here: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2259239&start=360 in case Aris can offer any advice.

Unfortunately, Noia 4 is also not something I use. I use: Firefox 2, the theme, reloaded. :)

Ben.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Having seen Aris' reply I did a bit more experimenting, to no avail.

Even disabling all plugins and all add-ons except UK TV Guide and Noia 4 Theme Manager didn't work. I also tried the New Scrollbars add-on: no change there.

The slider doesn't pick up Windows 7 styling either.
Benjamin Markson

Okay, I've had a go too.

I loaded up Noia 4 onto a Test Profile and saw exactly the same as you with my TV Guide.

I removed all styling from the <scrollbar> element... no change.

I then added just a <scrollbar flex="1"></scrollbar> to a very tiny test extension... exactly the same thing.

It is probably true to say that the XUL <scrollbar> element is not widely used. I'm using it to scroll both the time headings and programme guide horizontally, while separately allowing the programme guide to scroll vertically using the 'regular' scroll bar that you get naturally - this trick stops the headings disappearing off the top of the area.

So, I kind of conclude that the XUL <scrollbar> element is somehow not playing well with the Noia 4 theme, and perhaps all themes that restyle the 'thumb'.

Sorry I can't be of more help, :(
Ben.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Thanks for your time, Ben.

I have tried some other themes and have found a couple which do style that slider, notably MacOSX for example.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... b-dl-users

NASA Night Launch

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... b-dl-users
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Hi Ben: is there any chance you could update the channel feeds, please? There are several new channels which have launched - notably BT Sport - and also a few redundant ones which could be deleted.
Benjamin Markson

Good question, and I really wish I had a simple answer.

The brief answer is that I have no influence over the data feed - we get what we're given.

The data feed comes from xmltv.radiotimes.com, and indeed you can view the channel list by simply going to: http://xmltv.radiotimes.com/xmltv/channels.dat ...where you will notice that there are missing channels.

The fuller answer is a lot more convoluted - you may want to stop reading here!

The data is supplied under the stewardship of: http://metabroadcast.com, and the XMLTV feed is considered, by them, as depreciated in favour of their, so called, Atlas api data feed.

The Atlas api comes in two flavours v3 and v4. See here for v3: http://atlas.metabroadcast.com - so far, so good, but some digging will reveal that the EPG schedule data's source is provided by the Press Association and its use is restricted. Use of the schedule data requires an api key.

Now, while anyone can apply for a key, it is only for the use of the individual that applies for it. Therefore, I am forbidden from distributing a publicly available application that would use a key issued specifically to me. I, in fact, have no key but read on...

Enter the Atlas v4 api. Under the v4 api the Press Association supplied schedule requires no key - specifically, if my understanding is correct, this is for use by the XMLTV grabbers (of which my add-on is one). I believe that some restrictions apply when no key is used but nothing that should bother the XMLTV grabbers.

So... I do have a Version 2 of my add-on: UK TV, and Radio, Guide and Search, based on Metabroadcast's Atlas v4 api. But there's a problem. The v4 schedule api doesn't currently work.

If you're feeling really masochistic you can go here: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... dWtGcFu368

Buried in this thread Metabroadcast say: "Similarly, we're aware the schedule is currently empty. I have no date for when this will be fixed, but we'll get back to 4.0 as soon as we're able."

...and that's where I'm currently at. Waiting for Metabroadcast to finish development of their v4 api - as, I suspect, are several other interested parties.

Even then it's not all plain sailing. The current XMLTV data feed is a dumb CSV feed. Dumb but very compact, and very fast. The Atlas feed is a much more sophisticated JSON feed, and not really designed for the bulk grabbing of all data. The amount of data you end up grabbing is, I'd say, around a hundred times greater - it really is in a very verbose format. The data is also being 'compiled' by the api and not just sitting there waiting to be downloaded. Basically, I still have concerns over the time it takes to download and parse the data.

On the plus side the data does include radio channels and it also carries platform identifiers (freeview, freesat, sky, etc.). This has allowed me to add platform and media filters to the channel list. There are likely other interesting things in the mountain of data included in the schedule data but thus far I've been concentrating on just replicating what I currently have.

My plan is to release a Version 2 of my add-on as a completely new add-on (the data feeds are wholly incompatible). Announce the new add-on here with its own thread: [Ext] UK TV, and Radio, Guide and Search. Then, at some time in the future, add a notice to the current add-on advising users that the data feed is to be discontinued (Metabroadcast have stated that this is their goal) and direct them to the newer version.

I've had all this in progress for over a year now but in the absence of a working replacement I can only assure everyone that my frustration is probably at least that of everyone else watching the slow decay of the XMLTV data feed.

Ben.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Thank you for the swift response, Ben. I shall await developments. But now my brain hurts ... :lol:

joe_evans

Blank screen - UK TV Guide and Search

Post by joe_evans »

Hi Ben
Sorry to trouble you but for the life of me I can not get your add-on to work and I wonder if you could throw any light onto my problem. I am running linux mint and firefox browser. Once upon a time when I first installed your add-on it worked!! yay :¬) and then for some reason it didnt! I am sorry but I can not remember what I did inbetween to make it not work. All I get is a blank screen of channels and your outlined screen. I have a screen-print if you would like to see but am not sure how I can get it to you.
No buttons work except the hide colours button. I can not add groups I can not download tv programs or nothing. It is just beyond me. I have disablesd it and removed it and reinstalled it a number of times but to no avail.
Is there any pointers you could give me? Anything I could try out? Anything at all please if you have the time.

Thanks in advance

JE
Benjamin Markson

Hey Joe,

Without something more concrete it going to be difficult to tell.

It kind of sounds as if you're not getting any data from the feed... do you see anything if you go directly to: http://xmltv.radiotimes.com/xmltv/channels.dat - this is where the list of channels is coming from.

Do any errors appear in the, so called, Browser Console? You can get there using Ctrl-Shift-J, or via Firefox's Tools... Web Developer menu. Best route is to Clear the Console and then fire up the add-on and see if anything is reported.

The add-on itself has some logging too. From within the add-on, Ctrl-Shift-L, or click the Information Icon (bottom right) and then the Log button. From there, right-click and Select All, right-click and Copy, then you can Paste the output here.

Finally, you could try deleting the database - it will recreate itself. It lives in your profile folder under the UKTVGuide folder, you can just delete (or rename) the sqlite file.

Ben.
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

Hi Ben,

Just wondering if you'd happen to know when (or if) the TV channel list will be updated?
Cheers,
Keith
kronckew

Post by kronckew »

keithy397 wrote:Hi Ben,

Just wondering if you'd happen to know when (or if) the TV channel list will be updated?

did you not read the last few posts prior to yours? ben's 11:16 of 07OCT13 especially...
CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Retired: Everyday I make a list of those things
That I am not going to do today, Then I don't do them.
Benjamin Markson

Hi Keith,

Sadly, nothing has changed since I posted my reply here to Vitesse on October 7th. I did raise the issue with Metabroadcast over on their support forum: Where for art thou 4.0 schedules? but nothing has really changed.

Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do to change what channels do, or do not. appear on the feed. :(

Ben.