Seamonkey Project - Proposed Alternative Name Archive.

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Scarrow

Post by Scarrow »

Xandman, please save your "bitter" commentary for other threads.
If you have a suggestion for a name to make, then by all means, please feel free to provide one:

Name - Concise blurb/justification.

I'd simply like to keep this thread as clear of excessive comments as I'm able.
As it allows me to compile suggestions much more swiftly and adroitly.
doron

Post by doron »

The name should be similar to the existing product anmes at Mozilla. So something like:

Seawolf
Skywolf
Stormwolf
If you see a marquee, clap your hands!
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

From all the posts here, the best one to my mind is MOZSUITE.

N
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
L Squared

Post by L Squared »

Web Schooner- Sail the web with a full suite of functions.
L Squared
Lyle Greg Lisle
Retired EE, Web Wanderer, etc
Rickkins

Post by Rickkins »

-= The Webinator=-

We'll be back....:p
bleyz

Post by bleyz »

I'll add:

Wyvern: Seen on the wiki, and think it's a great name, and compact

Drake or Drake2: Not in use that I know of, strong and compact

I think a navigation or lizard related name is the rightdul choice. I also don't think making it similar to the birds is good at all. Nor hanging on to moz- or -zilla, for one thing because they make alien names. OTOH, maybe the name isn't so important - 'Mozilla' is baerely pronounceable and yet it had its day.
Hangnail

Post by Hangnail »

Another suggestion

Constellation: A stellar group of 'starts' to navigate by ... a bit cheezy but still cool and I think different enough to avoid dupes. If anyone knows of a specific constellation that was important for early navigation perhaps that would be useful. I know big dipper was one but is a little corny. I think it was also known as Ursa major (big dipper), but I'm not sure

Other ideas:

Rosetta: Like the map symbol used to dileneate compas directions - more on the navigation theme

Meridian: Another naivation term that might apply (means longitude)

Sextant: Navigation instrument

Astrolabe: Another celestial navigation instrument

--
A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep.
mromarkhan

Discoverer

Post by mromarkhan »

Internet Discoverer

Exploring leads to discovering
Last edited by mromarkhan on March 14th, 2005, 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hangnail

Post by Hangnail »

Last Entries that I can think of.

Liked the Dragon theme that someone mentioned earlier so I did a search for famous dragons:

Leviathan: A serpent-dragon so large that its coils encircle the Earth. Leviathan holds his tail in his mouth to keep the world from falling apart. The coils of this huge beast are multi-colored and so bright that they outshine the sun. Leviathan is armed with huge, terrible teeth, and scales. This biblical creatures nemesis is Behemoth despite their being created together when the universe was forming. I particularly like this one as it has that all encompasing nature to it.

Shen-Lung: The mightiest in power of the eight orders of Chinese Dragonhood. The Shen-Lung's realm is the sea, sky, sun, moon and all of earth's soil. Good and bad weather are under the Shen-Lung's control. The Shen-Lung is very powerful thus lazy. To avoid work of any kind a Shen-Lung need only shrink to the size of a mouse and hide. If lightning strikes a house or trees that is because the Thunder God sent his servants to search for the lazy Shen-Lung. Together with Ti Lung, they make up Wang Lung. Shen-Lung is the Chinese New Year Good Luck Dragon that appears in festivals and parades in a vast assortment of colors.

--
Real programmers don't draw flowcharts. Flowcharts are, after all, the illiterate's form of documentation. Cavemen drew flowcharts; look how much good it did them.
The Teleport Suite

Post by The Teleport Suite »

Intermoz Explorer
therube

Post by therube »

Guinea-zilla, or a play on that.

""Guinea-zilla"—World's Largest Rodent? "
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... index.html

Phoberomys pattersoni, a 1,500-pound (680-kilogram) rodent the size of a buffalo, roamed South America eight million years ago. Researchers say Phoberomys looked more like a giant guinea pig than an oversized house rat. Like the buffalo and many dinosaurs, it flourished on a diet of vegetation.

Mosaicus browseronomous, a 21st century explorer killer the size of a video screen, roamed the desktops of users for millennium to come. Time travelers report it was the wave of the future, securing the lives of denizens of the planet Earth. Unlike many before it, it flourished on a diet of Redmond.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
DEFIANT

Post by DEFIANT »

moz-saurus-rex

extinction suite -- sorry, had to.

goodzilla suite -- i know, zilla, but how in the hell can they copyright zilla without triping on godzilla?

i do like webzilla alot.

not internet explorer suite

we hate firefox, that replaced our beloved mozilla internet browser, suite

the, seamonkey is a stupid name so were going to make a new name for our favorite browaser, suite

yes, i use firefox. why am i here then? because while fire fox was under contruction, i was a proud user of mozilla. i have fond memories of this suite, so i thought id give my 2 cents to help you loyal mozilla,seamonkey users. some of thoes are serious, btw.
E=mc²
tgrantt

Rosetta and Cerebus

Post by tgrantt »

I saw Cererbus suggested; it's been used by an FTP server. I like Rosetta, not only the compass rose, but also the Rosetta stone that helped us to understand the incomprehensible.
Scarrow

Post by Scarrow »

Folks, a further little request.

Please try and keep your suggestions serious and in the realm of useability.
I'm generally not editing for content, as I don't feel that to be appropriate at the moment, however, the overall list begins to be robbed of any value if we simply plunk everything and anything onto it.

I really hate to disparage anyone's effort and I appreciate all the creative humour out there, but it's making it really difficult for me to edit the list.

In the end, I'd like to gather a strong collection of useable names to present to the eventual heads of the project, from which something we can all(or many of us) be happy with comes to fruition.

So please just stick to the format:

<em>Suggested name - concise justification/blurb.</em>

sweet, simple and swift.

Also, after having delved into some of the discussions on the <a href="http://groups-beta.google.com/group/netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey">Netscape.Public.Mozilla.Seamonkey</a> developer's list, the use of the suffix <strong>"-zilla"</strong> is extremely unstable ground that's best avoided.
So I'll be editing those out, per developer recommendation.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I like the name <b>MarcoPolo Suite</b>. I googled both "MarcoPolo Suite" and "Marco Polo Suite" and just "MarcoPolo" and "Marco Polo" and saw no obvious conflicts. Marco Polo was a Medievil explorer and his image would lend itself well for a logo for the suite.