Pinned tabs get lost

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mikecox

Pinned tabs get lost

Post by mikecox »

I frequently pin 2 or 3 tabs to my tab bar but they frequently disappear on me. ](*,)

I'm not sure what makes that happen, I just know it does and I have to keep reloading and pinning them.

How can I get pinned tabs to lock in, and stay put; and not get mysteriously unpinned somewhere along the way?
Michael; in San Diego
Firefox/24
Win 7 and 8 64 bit
Adrian Bell

Re: Pinned tabs get lost

Post by Adrian Bell »

I've found that if I get a pop-up window that does not get blocked, and that window gets closed last, my pinned tabs get lost as the pop-up window has no tabs and it seems to remember that. I'm not sure how to stop this though, apart from looking for pop-up windows and closing them first.
mikecox

Post by mikecox »

Hmm, I block pop-ups. But maybe when I allow one in this happens; I'll watch for a connection.

In some respects I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in this; even if there is no solution.

Thanks
Michael; in San Diego
Firefox/24
Win 7 and 8 64 bit
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Pinned tabs are just part of your previous session history. If your browsing history is cleared or the previous session file is corrupted, they will disappear. Also, if you have two Firefox windows open, and one does not have pinned tabs, then closing that window last can cause the entire session to be erased. You can avoid all of this by disabling session restore and just have Firefox always open with a new session that contains those pinned tabs. You can do this like so:

Menu > Options > General >
When Firefox starts: Show my home page.
Then click Use Current Pages button.

Now your pinned tabs will always open.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
mikecox

Post by mikecox »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Pinned tabs are just part of your previous session history. If your browsing history is cleared or the previous session file is corrupted, they will disappear. Also, if you have two Firefox windows open, and one does not have pinned tabs, then closing that window last can cause the entire session to be erased. You can avoid all of this by disabling session restore and just have Firefox always open with a new session that contains those pinned tabs. You can do this like so:

Menu > Options > General >
When Firefox starts: Show my home page.
Then click Use Current Pages button.

Now your pinned tabs will always open.
Thanks for that very complete explanation :D I will disable session restore because I often have more than on session open, on two different computers.
Michael; in San Diego
Firefox/24
Win 7 and 8 64 bit
dwneylonsr

Post by dwneylonsr »

Patrickjdempsey, although this seems to be a good answer it hasn't helped me. The only tabs restored this way are non-pinned. I'm still losing pinned tabs.