Not so new addon to compact header pane in Thunderbird

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Re: Not so new addon to compact header pane in Thunderbird

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy 0rangegal,

it's essentially just putting in a link. lookee ...
Posting a screenshot on the forum - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

take care,
lee
0rangegal

Post by 0rangegal »

@Lee_Dailey: Oh; I thought one could simply attach an actual image to their specific post. I've done the 'link' option before, it's not the quickest or simplest way to accomplish this. Thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@jmozmoz
[quote="jmozmoz"]This obviously should not be the case. Can you please check the error console (Tools->Error Console) for error messages. Which version of Thunderbird do you use? Any other addon? Please try to reproduce the bug with some/all other addons disabled. What happens if you press the reset to default button in the customization dialog? Can you provide a screenshot showing thunderbird + customization dialog.[/quote="jmozmoz"]

Well, I found that there's an Archive button in the main toolbar (top of the page), so I'll just use that. Still, I don't know what happened to the little button in the message headers. I thought maybe if I removed the bigger button from the top that that would then show the smaller header button, but no.
BTW, I have TB v17.0.8 (don't like the current version because the folder icons [such as a trash can for the Trash folder] have reverted back to simple yellow folders.)
And, I have many add-ons; and, when I use the "reset to default button", the Archive button in the headers does appear again.
Anyway, I have an Archive button, so it's best if I just go on to other things.
Thanks!
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy 0rangegal,

you are quite welcome! glad to help a tad ... [*grin*]

take care,
lee
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

It would have been interesting, what causes this problem. But it is good if you can work with the way it is.
0rangegal wrote:Well, I found that there's an Archive button in the main toolbar (top of the page), so I'll just use that. Still, I don't know what happened to the little button in the message headers. I thought maybe if I removed the bigger button from the top that that would then show the smaller header button, but no.
BTW, I have TB v17.0.8 (don't like the current version because the folder icons [such as a trash can for the Trash folder] have reverted back to simple yellow folders.)
And, I have many add-ons; and, when I use the "reset to default button", the Archive button in the headers does appear again.
Anyway, I have an Archive button, so it's best if I just go on to other things.
Thanks!
K4RBQT99

Post by K4RBQT99 »

After upgrading to Thunderbird 24, I see that the toolbar buttons managed by CH of "menu-button" type (as "Forward") aren't correctly styled in "flat buttons" mode. Linux.
oeekker

Post by oeekker »

Hi,
Two things:
  • In Earlybird (Thunderbird 26.0a2) the compact header toggle key 'h' doesn't work. I get the following error in the console:
    Error: TypeError: cs is null
    Source file: chrome://global/content/bindings/button.xml
    Line: 86
  • In every version of Thunderbird I can remember I see the following message in the error console, which I think is also cause by Compact Header:
    Error: TypeError: headerEntry.enclosingRow is undefined
    Source file: chrome://messenger/content/msgHdrViewOverlay.js
    Line: 882
oeekker

Post by oeekker »

Hmz, I get the error about headerEntry.enclosingRow being undefined also with CompactHeader disabled, so I'll have to search further to find the cause of the message...
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

I cannot confirm these issues. The keyboard short cut is SHIFT+h. It works for me on Windows with 26.0a2 (2013-10-10).
oeekker wrote:Hi,
Two things:
  • In Earlybird (Thunderbird 26.0a2) the compact header toggle key 'h' doesn't work. I get the following error in the console:
    Error: TypeError: cs is null
    Source file: chrome://global/content/bindings/button.xml
    Line: 86
  • In every version of Thunderbird I can remember I see the following message in the error console, which I think is also cause by Compact Header:
    Error: TypeError: headerEntry.enclosingRow is undefined
    Source file: chrome://messenger/content/msgHdrViewOverlay.js
    Line: 882
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

I didn't even know that for Linux this option still exists. :roll:
I think you have to either restart Thunderbird or switch the position of the header toolbar to e.g. right and back to top to make the changes effective.
K4RBQT99 wrote:After upgrading to Thunderbird 24, I see that the toolbar buttons managed by CH of "menu-button" type (as "Forward") aren't correctly styled in "flat buttons" mode. Linux.
oeekker

Post by oeekker »

jmozmoz wrote:I cannot confirm these issues. The keyboard short cut is SHIFT+h. It works for me on Windows with 26.0a2 (2013-10-10).

You are right about both issues. I thought the keyboard shortcut was h, but apparently another extension uses that key and throws the error. And I already found out about the other message that CompactHeader wasn't the culprit. It looks like it was the TB Header Tools extension. I noticed in the CompactHeader add-on description that there are more problems with TB Header Tools.

One more thing: The Shift+H keyboard shortcut is now somewhat hidden. Maybe you can add an item to the View -> Headers menu where you can toggle Compact on and off and display the keyboard shortcut along with it.

reevuur

Post by reevuur »

Does anyone know how I can change the background of the compact header pane?

I want to have it always the same color (not white or transparent) with or without focus.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

reevuur wrote:Does anyone know how I can change the background of the compact header pane?

I want to have it always the same color (not white or transparent) with or without focus.

This code makes it a light gray. The same color older versions of TB had. You can change the color reference to the color you want.

Code: Select all

#msgHeaderView { background-color: #eeeeee !important; }

http://www.ehow.com/how_8605077_hex-number-color.html
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
reevuur

Post by reevuur »

Thank you very much!
That did the trick!
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

reevuur wrote:Thank you very much!
That did the trick!

=D> You're welcome!
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

Thank you for this idea. I have already implemented it and will release the next beta version this week (just waiting for the translations on babelzilla).
oeekker wrote:One more thing: The Shift+H keyboard shortcut is now somewhat hidden. Maybe you can add an item to the View -> Headers menu where you can toggle Compact on and off and display the keyboard shortcut along with it.