Bookmarks in new tab

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
lnx64

Bookmarks in new tab

Post by lnx64 »

On my Mac, when in Safari, if I click a link in the bookmark bar or in the bookmarks menu, while holding down the Command key, it opens it up in a new tab.

On Seamonkey, this only works from items in the bookmarks bar, but not the bookmarks menu. Is there a fix for that or something I can enable to allow that? Or is it simply not part of the program? I absolutely really want that function instead of manually opening a new tab and opening a bookmark, because I have accidentally at times forgot and lost what I may have been typing on the page I was just on.
therube

Re: Bookmarks in new tab

Post by therube »

Center-click the link, though I suppose your mouse does not have a center-click button?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
lnx64

Post by lnx64 »

therube wrote:Center-click the link, though I suppose your mouse does not have a center-click button?

I can enable center click on my trackpad.

Just tried it. Middle clicking on links in the Bookmarks Menu does NOT create a new tab. It just loads the link in the same tab already open.

As stated however, command clicking, and tried, middle clicking links in the bookmarks bar, DO however create new tabs.

I tried my other Mac, same thing, even wired up a regular PC mouse mouse to it with the clickable wheel. Same results, the bookmarks menu will not create a new tab.
rais

Post by rais »

right click the Bookmark
click Open in a new tab
lnx64

Post by lnx64 »

In the bookmarks menu, items can't be right clicked.
In the bookmarks bar, they can be.
In the bookmarks bar in a menu, they can NOT be.

However, in a bookmarks bar in a menu, middle clicking or command clicking still opens in a new tab as expected.

But that bookmarks menu at the top of the screen, it's still problematic. Tried a few other Macs, same behavior with the right clicking.
lnx64

Post by lnx64 »

You both are using Windows.

I do believe SeaMonkey on Mac does things differently sadly.
rais

Post by rais »

lnx64

Post by lnx64 »

That link doesn't answer this problem.
lnx64

Post by lnx64 »

So, yea.. I'd like to see this feature added to SeaMonkey, being able to middle click or command click an item in the book mark menu to open up in a new tap. It just doesn't exist on the Mac, only in the bookmarks bar, but not the bookmarks menu.

I checked other Macs and same behavior. It just doesn't work.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

The menu bar at the top of the screen is controlled by Mac OS, not by the application. I doubt it will be possible to do what you want unless Apple does something to enable it by changing Mac OS. That is why you cannot use right-click, and middle-click is treated the same as left-click.
lnx64

Post by lnx64 »

Anonymosity wrote:The menu bar at the top of the screen is controlled by Mac OS, not by the application. I doubt it will be possible to do what you want unless Apple does something to enable it by changing Mac OS. That is why you cannot use right-click, and middle-click is treated the same as left-click.

Works in Safari, so I know the application can in fact read those commands. Just maybe not the same way Windows does is all.
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

@op - try pressing ctrl key or whatever it is on Mac. Pressing on control key when clicking on links always opens bookmarks in new tabs in (windows as well as Linux)
lnx64

Post by lnx64 »

vazhavandan wrote:@op - try pressing ctrl key or whatever it is on Mac. Pressing on control key when clicking on links always opens bookmarks in new tabs in (windows as well as Linux)

That never works for Mac OS X, that specific command is the command key.

I tried anyway to just enlighten, but doesn't work.

I do not see this actually existing in the Mac version of Seamonkey, and feel all attempts to try and get something to work, to something that doesn't exist, is pointless. This is now a feature request.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Since Safari comes with Mac OS, maybe Apple set that one up as an exception to the rule, but my other browsers cannot use middle-click with the menu bar.
lnx64

Post by lnx64 »

Anonymosity wrote:Since Safari comes with Mac OS, maybe Apple set that one up as an exception to the rule, but my other browsers cannot use middle-click with the menu bar.

Google Chrome on OS X works just fine with this, so that's not true.

It's just not implemented in Firefox or SeaMonkey.