Seamonkey Project - Proposed Alternative Name Archive.

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
ndebord

MozSuite

Post by ndebord »

Since The Mozilla Foundation has indicated that Seamonkey can not use either "Mozilla" or "-zilla" in a new name for the Suite, but have indicated that the preface "Moz" can be used, the best name recognition IMO would be:

MozSuite

N
larrybpsu

Post by larrybpsu »

Hey....

Don't mean to rain on folk's parade....but I mentioned "MozSuite" the day that MoFo dropped the hot potato.... the thread was "What's in a Name?"

I really thought it could be a name to 'run' with.....I thought of NetClique, but that seems to be taken.

Off-topic, but very important....

can someone here sticky the link for the wiki for folks to browse over and keep up to date? I find it VERY difficult to keep track of MZ postings, and those happening on the wiki.

Maybe we should seriously start our own forum site....just to streamline the communication(s) to ONE location?

I'd be willing to host at the university....I just need some guidance on software setup and such ( would be hosted on a slackware linux system....I can tweak that to perfection!).... PM me if this sounds like something we'd like to undertake.
Scarrow

Post by Scarrow »

If it's Off-topic Larry, could you please start a new thread outlining your recommendation/suggestion?

Thanks.
BamseIsUnix

Post by BamseIsUnix »

- It should begin with M. There have been so many name changes for Mozilla software that have irritated the users that they don't want a name that is completely different. If you change the name to e.g. "OpenSuite" or "Webinator" they'll start to see red.
- It could be something from the ancient mythologies. Like Phoenix and Chimera are.
- I hope you keep the lizard/dinosaur theme. That's the creature people have learnt to connect to Mozilla.
- If you pick an ancient god's name, make sure it's male. Mozilla is male, too.

Meridian is a good name proposal, but it doesn't quite fit. It's also too common. "Mozilla Suite is now knows as Meridian Suite" -- judge for yourselves.

It can be a combination of two different names, in a same way Mozilla is (?).

Some words/names/gods/whatever that may inspire: Minotaur, Raptor, Python, Manticore, Griffin, Skythian, Trodon, Typhon, Gargantuan, Areion...

Sorry I can't help more.

EDIT: I like "Skythian". It hasn't been used anywhere but I don't know if it's good either. "Leviathan" is also nice, but very common and maybe a bit of cliché. But neither of them has any connection to the original Mozilla, so let's forget them. What I'm waiting to see is a combination name similar to "Debian" but beginning with M. There.
BamseIsUnix

Post by BamseIsUnix »

No, wait...! I do have a name proposal. Since I seem to like names ending with -AN:

<b>Midian</b>

Why?

It begins with an M like the original product. It's very easy to remember and pronounce, just like Mozilla was. It doesn't have any specific meaning: it's just a place name mentioned in the Old Testament (Bible). It's not very much used (although it's a Cradle of Filth album :shock:). If it's being written with the same font as the original Mozilla logo, the name transition shouldn't be too painful.

The final, registered name of the suite would then be <b>Midian Suite</b> or why not <b>Midian OpenSuite</b> (combining previous suggestions).

Sounds a bit odd at first, but one gets used to it quickly. <a href="http://safelyinrussia.com/tmp/miikka/midian.png">(link)</a>
Last edited by BamseIsUnix on March 16th, 2005, 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adrianer

Post by Adrianer »

What about Mozzia?
-begins with "Moz-"
-the name says "all but nothink" - similar to Mozilla
-some people use it when they speak about Mozilla
Last edited by Adrianer on March 15th, 2005, 4:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Teleport Suite

Post by The Teleport Suite »

We need to realize one fact: Telepoert is taken and cannot be used with any name before or after it, period.

Teleport is a generic term because it is an English verb. No one can register and patent a term that is in the dictionary, Microsoft has tried to patent "Windows" so that no one could create software with the term "windows" in it, but the court refused for the reason aforementioned.

I doubt some one was able to patent the term "teleport", however, they could patent for instance "teleport FTP". Searching on Google gives half a reply only, to know if a name has been patented.
emmeffe

Post by emmeffe »

I like the idea to leave the name as "Seamonkey", anyway I like also the name "MozSuite" :)

Another suggestion for the name could be "Lighthouse"...
The Teleport Suite

Post by The Teleport Suite »

OpenSuite.org :)
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

OpenWeb maybe. It even encapsulates a key goal. This name also means that if AOL decides to rip it off for a release of Netscape, we can refer to it as OpenInTARW3b1.
Philippe-Pierre

Post by Philippe-Pierre »

BamseIsUnix wrote:- It should begin with M.

Hey, by the way, why not just <b>M</b> ?

Still related to Mozilla, plus a flavour of enigma. It can make a great logo, too.

;)
Regards

Philippe-Pierre a.k.a. pierre_h
----
* Dedicated to software which sucks less ... http://suckless.org/
schapel

Post by schapel »

philonious wrote:Hey, by the way, why not just <b>M</b> ?

It needs to be a longer name than that. Think of users who try to search for it in Google:
m: 594000000 results
m suite: 17400000 results
msuite: 1220

So MSuite might be a possibility, but there already seems to be a product called mSuite.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Openzilla - Keeps the 'zilla association, but follows a similar naming convention to OpenOffice.
It turns up two abandoned domains, but no meaningful results. Could be a more feasible name.

I don't see why products can't use 'zilla in their names, tbh. Plenty of other applications already do it (Go!zilla, Filezilla, etc).
xandman

Post by xandman »

Scarrow wrote:Xandman, please save your "bitter" commentary for other threads.
If you have a suggestion for a name to make, then by all means, please feel free to provide one:

Name - Concise blurb/justification.

I'd simply like to keep this thread as clear of excessive comments as I'm able.
As it allows me to compile suggestions much more swiftly and adroitly.

Sorry, you're right. But the suggestions are still there. Legion can mean a large military unit (those who want to carry on with seamonkey) or it can mean a vast multitude, which is exactly what the suite offers.
Scarrow

Post by Scarrow »

I don't see why products can't use 'zilla in their names, tbh. Plenty of other applications already do it (Go!zilla, Filezilla, etc).

Mozdev.org, does not allow the use of <strong>"-zilla"</strong> either.
And I do believe they provide a more than adequate justification as to why:

<a href="http://mozdev.org/pipermail/project_owners/2003-December/001120.html">Here</a>.

Teleport is a generic term because it is an English verb. No one can register and patent a term that is in the dictionary, Microsoft has tried to patent "Windows" so that no one could create software with the term "windows" in it, but the court refused for the reason aforementioned.

Teleport is used apparently by numerous other pieces of software.

<a href="http://www.tenmax.com/teleport/pro/home.htm">Here</a>, <a href="http://www.abyssoft.com/software/teleport/">here</a> and <a href="http://www.fx-max.com/fxt/">here</a>, for instance.

This overloading of a term can result in considerable confusion.
And potentially <a href="http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=3082&message=59&state=reply">unpleasant entanglements</a>.