Java 7 update 45 : blocked

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Modaquitaine

Java 7 update 45 : blocked

Post by Modaquitaine »

Hello
Since yesterday, Mozilla blocked the Java 7 plugin update 45 which is yet the latest version of JRE.
Why ?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/blocked/p463
I read the query, but I do not understand why this version of Java, the most secure, was blocked.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=914690
One person can thus impose his opinion? Strange
Regards
Elbart

Re: Java 7 update 45 : blocked

Post by Elbart »

Probably because it's Java. Doesn't matter if it's the latest, it's still Java. Years of bad security-practice leave a mark.
And isn't it just click-to-activate'd instead of blocked?
gone
Modaquitaine

Post by Modaquitaine »

Indeed! but this is a little unfair, java applets are useful in science.
Adobe Flash is no more secure without being blocked!
All this is a bit excessive and it is rather that Oracle has no good reputation!
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Modaquitaine wrote:One person can thus impose his opinion? Strange
Regards

You know two seconds on any search engine would have saved you looking foolish
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Modaquitaine

Post by Modaquitaine »

Excuse me, but I do not understand what you mean!
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Did you try typing Benjamin Smedberg into a search engine?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Modaquitaine

Post by Modaquitaine »

Yes ! No comment !
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Ok then I will comment. I think this is the most intelligent proactive move Mozilla have made in many years. Pity they didn't have the guts to do it in regards to other sleazy toolbars and addons.
"Terry Pratchett"
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Modaquitaine wrote:Indeed! but this is a little unfair, java applets are useful in science.
Adobe Flash is no more secure without being blocked!
All this is a bit excessive and it is rather that Oracle has no good reputation!

Abode at least has a history of fixing their security holes. There are MAJOR exploits in ALL versions of Java which were reported a year ago that Oracle is either unable or unwilling to fix. Apple has stopped shipping Java with new computers, and Google is slated to completely remove support for legacy browser plugins (including Java) for Chrome early next year. The writing is on the wall for Java on the web.

It's still being used heavily in business and intranet systems, as well for commercial hardware controllers, but online, most of what Java used to be used for is now done easier, and safer in Flash, JavaScript and HTML5.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Modaquitaine

Post by Modaquitaine »

All this is true but for 6 months, Oracle made ​​great efforts to secure JRE, regularly renew JRE versions, so that Java was not blocked in Firefox except now! Why? No replies to this!
But the transition to HTML5 is expected without plugins, but there will still java-scripts ..
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

JavaScript has nothing to do with Java.
gone
Modaquitaine

Post by Modaquitaine »

Yes, of course, but the java scripts are also security vulnerabilities, this is what I meant.
The words that I raised are out of news :
There are MAJOR exploits in ALL versions of Java which were reported a year ago that Oracle is either unable or unwilling to fix. Apple has stopped shipping Java with new computers

since Oracle has evolved its JRE.
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

Modaquitaine wrote:Yes, of course, but the java scripts are also security vulnerabilities, this is what I meant.

The difference is: JS-bugs can be fixed by Mozilla (or every other browser-maker), and JS is used on probably 99% of the web.
Bugs in Java can only be fixed by Oracle, and Java-applets are going the way of the dinosaurs.
gone
Scarlettrunner20

Post by Scarlettrunner20 »

Just install this updated extension:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... er/?src=ss

It will solve the problem. It is a great extension by a Moz dev and updated yesterday to work with blocked plugins also. This extension also works on SeaMonkey 2.21 which is where I am using it. (My Fx is still at 17.0.9 ESR and will remain there until automatic internal update is pushed in January. There is no blocking of Java by Mozilla on this version of Fx).
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Great idea Scarlett open everyone up to the black hole of disaster Java has become
"Terry Pratchett"