Firefox update browser pop-up

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Firefoxer22

Firefox update browser pop-up

Post by Firefoxer22 »

I'm not sure if this is the right section, if it isn't please redirect this elsewhere.
Anyway, when I switch to a new tab or click a link I sometimes get sent to browser-fast. I dont think sending links are appreciated so if a moderator wants the full link ill provide it.
On this site it tells me I have to update firefox to access the page. The site does not look legit and my firefox is fully updated.
If this is a problem associated with firefox, I would like to know how to fix it.
If this problem is someone attempting to trick people into downloading something malicious and someone knows how to stop getting these browser pop-ups that would be much appreciated as well. If any other information is needed I can send it. If anyone wants a screenshot of the page I can do that as well.
Thank you.
trolly

Re: Firefox update browser pop-up

Post by trolly »

Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

browser-fast is malware. Search of google for browser-fast turns up several links.

I would download and run free version of malwarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/
Firefoxer22

Post by Firefoxer22 »

Hopefully that screenshot works. And to the second reply, I've already done a full scan with the software even while on safemode. Did so yesterday, to no avail.
Anyway I'm gonna try a full reinstalling of firefox in case there's malware hijacking the firefox folder itself. I'll mention whether I'm successful later or tomorrow.
If anyone has any other suggestions feel free to post them.
Last edited by James on October 21st, 2013, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: image was too big for img tags at 1,599px × 1,251px, so made it as a thumbnail link to full size.
James

Post by James »

This is not associated with Mozilla or the Firefox browser. This is a popup that some websites serve sometimes as it tries to convince people to download a Updater_setup.exe that is malware.

All you can do is report the www.browser-fast.com/Firefox/ website at http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/legal/fraud-report/ as I have done it a few different times now.
Firefoxer22

Post by Firefoxer22 »

Thank you James. I will do so. I suppose I'll go to Java as well because a fake updater is asking me to update their software too. sigh.
Firefoxer22

Post by Firefoxer22 »

Thank you for all your help. I just recently deleted an add-on that may have caused the problem, either way I'll continue running virus scans.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Firefoxer22 wrote:Thank you for all your help. I just recently deleted an add-on that may have caused the problem, either way I'll continue running virus scans.

You might want to post which extension was causing you this problem... it could help others around here...
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!