Lightbeam

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
KenWA

Lightbeam

Post by KenWA »

Has anyone tried Mozilla Lightbeam? I thought it looked useful and installed it but I have clicked on the Lightbeam icon while viewing numerous websites but I never get any information. Does it have to be activated in some way?
LIMPET235

Re: Lightbeam

Post by LIMPET235 »

First I've seen of it, but have you tried asking/reading the support site/s?
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... lightbeam/

Maybe someone will know all about how it functions.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
KenWA

Post by KenWA »

I have read all there is available about Lightbeam but they all imply that once installed it searches every site you visit and stores all the information but so far I have seen nothing. Here's hoping someone know what is happening.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

You might have better luck poking around here: https://github.com/mozilla/lightbeam/issues
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I used the old Collusion in a few profiles ... more to test them than use them on a day to day bases... kind of checking out my blocking extension etc...

Anyway, I updated the old extension with this new one and as some of the posters over on AMO indicate... all one gets is a blank screen. In a test profile that pretty much looks like this loaded one (40+extensions) ... it did the same black screen... so, I disabled NoScript and Cookie Monster just to check out if it would work then... it did not and I don't want to spend that much time on it... But, I did update my bare-bones test profile ... just a couple of extensions in it... and, it did work fine... So, if you want to see it in action I suggest that you create a test profile and use as-is except for that extension... then you could copy and past some of your links from your default profile and test it.. or, just surf?
Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

If you want to run that test profile along with your main profile.. follow this doc...
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Opening_a_new ... er_profile

And... with no blocking stuff in a profile... it can get scarrrrryyyy when you see how the net tracks you.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Lightbeam seems to be working fine for me on 32-bit WinXP, but there have been reports at the official Mozilla Firefox support forum about Lightbeam on Win7 64-bit versions not working properly or at all. Also some reports from Mac OSX users not having the Add-on Bar button or a Tools menu item for Lightbeam.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

It worked fine in one of my bare-bones profiles... only a couple of extensions and basically no changes to config stuff other than to clear out everything when it quits... Privacy stuff.

I have so many changes in this profile that I wouldn't know where to start to get it working... also, it works fine in that profile... running a 64bit system.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Didn't work for me on W7 Home Premium. Uninstalled ...
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Give it a little time. On my computer some of the connections don't show up immediately. Sometimes you even have to restart it before the third-party connections show up. But they do show up.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

In my loaded test profile... it sat there for 20 minutes and displayed nothing... if did show the site connections in its heading but no graph right away though. I'm sure that there is a extension conflict somewhere...
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Well, I was running it in a new profile, which is how I usually test extensions in case they screw everything up. The results are VERY interesting, however.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Yeah... they are very interesting... I also test a lot of this stuff in a basic-profile but in this case I loaded a large number of links into it and went to the pages... mind-boggling on what will come up... almost a NSA type of picture :lol:
harleypt

Post by harleypt »

dom.storage.enabled/true For it to work
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Still seems to be quite buggy ... that basic test profile that I used... where it worked before had that dom.storage.enabled set to true but now I don't get anything in the window... hmmmm...
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

harleypt wrote:dom.storage.enabled/true For it to work

I have it to true,and still nothing is showing:any other thing that I should look for,conflicting addons,other dom-related preferences in about:config ?