Project Squeaky: Add-on File Registration

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
u251

Project Squeaky: Add-on File Registration

Post by u251 »

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.dev.planning/zLwLNyWm7es

This was recently posted and I was hoping to find out the exact implications for addon devs? Does this mean that 'unregistered' addon will be blocked from being installed?
patrickjdempsey

Re: Project Squeaky: Add-on File Registration

Post by patrickjdempsey »

It is pretty obvious that this would have to be able to be disabled for Addons Developers since it would make it impossible to use Firefox as a development platform for a new Addon.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

It would also mean that any extensions delveloped by a company for internal use only would have to be registered.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
patrickjdempsey

Yup. I think this is one of those features that as long as it can be turned off for "expert" users it would actually be a reallly good thing for grandma who just wants to check her email. I'm all for it. Mozilla has been beating around the bush about how to handle dangerous global extensions for a LONG time now. Unfortunately, since their official policy is to allow search hijackers under the guise of "monetization", this annoying and dangerous "feature" (which keyword.URL was removed to "fix") will undoubtedly continue.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

There will be a transition period where unregistered files will only be shown as an error in the Browser Console. The following step would be to show the message, but with the option to override it. Having no way to override it will be the third step.

Yeah, no, not with this user.
gone
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

By the way, the google doc does speak of either a whitelist (unuseable) or a command line option (-noaddonreg). Assuming A) they ever actually get around to this and B) they don't blow up a number of other things in the process, the command line is perfectly acceptable to me. We could easily roll out a new shortcut and it would be easy enough to add to the short cuts at home.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
patrickjdempsey

If there's a command-line option, surely there would be an about:config pref as well.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Patrick- you are assuming that AMO has a set of clues again....
Post wrangler
patrickjdempsey

Either way, it won't bother me. Whatever switch will be required by developers will be on all of my machines anyway. They can make all of the threats they want, but it's impossible to develop extensions without an override.

And like I said, as long as "legitimate" extensions hosted on AMO continue to hijack the urbar search then all bets are off. You can't punish one group of extensions and break major features to try to stop a behavior that you ALLOW for another group of extension. All you have to do is read the Bugzilla entries about Babylon Toolbar to see how pointless it all is without a systemic ban on the behavior.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Or Brandthunder or those idiots who purchased dead extensions and made them into spyware. The entire idea of AMO is broken and the folks in charage simply don't care. While Mozilla is chasing Chrome they aren't bothering to take Google's good ideas like providing a market place where folks who improve functionality can be paid for their efforts.
Post wrangler
patrickjdempsey

Well, they DO have a "marketplace" but you can't even look at the website without a mobile device. Eventually it will be merged with AMO... so, we can expect some serious fun then.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

I am looking forward to it :). With a bit of luck it will happen at the same time Squeaky goes live. Now that would be fun :)
Post wrangler
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

patrickjdempsey wrote:If there's a command-line option, surely there would be an about:config pref as well.

... which would be easy to modify for any setup-program. So the gain regarding security will be what?

Am I alone in thinking this is just like Chrome Web Store? Mandatory registration, sideloading being a PITA, constant calling-home... :-"
gone
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

AMO already calls home alot.
Post wrangler
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

LoudNoise wrote:AMO already calls home alot.

Every day, every addon, plus some ... even if you disable updates.