Re: Local Directory Path Is Not Suitable For Message Storage

Post by graziano »

why this folder is not suitable ????

F:\thunderbird\Local Folders

when I had my profile folder set to
C:\Users\graziano\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\4vyfdyrt.default\
the mail folder F:\thunderbird\Local Folders was suitable

when using this http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_: ... r_Location I moved
the TH profile in F:\thunderbird , F:\thunderbird\Local Folders is no more suitable

Why ?
Eckard

Post by Eckard »

Those users who fail to solve the problem by editing the prefs.js file and modifying or deleting "mail.root..." paths
might try a workaround I've seen in the German "Thunderbird Mail DE" forum:

instead of opening the account manager via "Tools" -> "Account Settings", they right-clicked on an account name in the folder pane and chose "Settings..." without getting the error/warning message.
Hence they were able to modify the account settings unless they clicked on "Local Folders" where they got the error or warning message again.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Well, so bug 921371 had a band-aid patch up for review to reduce the error to a simple warning while restoring the ability to at least edit the settings, but it got stuck in the review queue and didn't make the 24.1 release which is due tomorrow. :-(
SamMadHands

Post by SamMadHands »

I’m obviously not as experienced at this as you folks are, but serendipity got me here. Early this month a PUP had puppies in my computer and I had to mindwipe it and do a clean install. THIS time I am creating three versions of myself, Standard, Admin, and Superpowers. Yesterday Admin downloaded TBird and TBird asked did Admin want to set up a new account or use an existing one. Existing, please. Hm, ISP, which formerly offered only POP, has switched to IMAP in order to add mobile phone to its bundles. Admin enters the usual prefs but leaves the IMAP change alone; down comes the mail for the main account, and for Local Accounts, which seems to function as usual. But the SECRET account for friends and family isn’t there. Today I went to my ISP’s website and finally found it, but during that loopy and menu-riddled hunt I also found this:
"Switching from POP to IMAP
To prevent losing your Email or Email folders when switching from POP settings to IMAP:
If you had "Leave messages on server" enabled since initial Charter.net Email setup, follow these steps:
1. Create an imap enabled account for the Email address you want to switch to within same Email client. (Most modern Email clients can have both a POP enabled and IMAP enabled mailbox/account that share the same account credentials)
2. Delete your pop mailbox account from the Email client
If you did NOT have "Leave messages on server" enabled since initial Charter.net Email setup or unsure, follow these steps:
1. Ensure that you have the option "Leave messages on server" checked in your account settings on your Email client. This setting should be available under "advanced settings" or something similar, depending on the client.
2. If you have the option to disable Send/Receive in your Email client, disable it to ensure no new messages are delivered to the POP enabled mailbox/account.
3. Create an imap enabled account for the Email address you want to switch to within same Email client. (Most modern Email clients can have both a POP enabled and IMAP enabled mailbox/account that share the same account credentials)
4. Move messages and/or folders by creating a storage or data folder (Outlook calls these PST), then drag and drop the messages/folders you wish to keep into the new folder.
5. When you have moved over all of your Emails/Folders you can delete your pop mailbox"

I hope that helps give the disappearing profiles some context. Here’s more:

My Standard Self set up the main account, too, because we're not sure how it will distribute. Standard Self then set up, per instructions above, both POP and IMAP versions of the secret account. While setting preferences for these, I noticed code resembling what Mikael340 cited. His were

“user_pref("mail.server.server6.directory", "AAAAAA **** CAA7//wAA");
user_pref("mail.server.server6.directory-rel", "[ProfD]Mail/smart mailboxes");
user_pref("mail.server.server6.hidden", true);
user_pref("mail.server.server6.hostname", "smart mailboxes");

mine were multiple Charter mail servers, some mobile, some not. Again, we left the IMAP as Charter had set it, but restored, as closely as I could remember, the original settings for POP, whereupon about five years’ worth of the secret account downloaded into Standard’s TBird.

MEANWHILE, and here’s where we really get context, when I reinstalled Windows, a Microsoft Cloud appeared and started nagging me to register. Friday, I had to get a Chrome account because I like YouTube. So today I register for MS Live. As soon as I log in, they tell me someone has hijacked my Outlook account and now it speaks Arabic. I have never even looked at Outlook, much less used it. I used Netscape and then Thunderbird. As far as I knew Outlook existed only in the little black box of my computer. So in my Standard persona I was checking you out about merging the two recipients of the main account, started to type this to you in Word (sorry; Word makes me wordy), but found that Standard’s Word 2003, with all its updates, was also speaking Arabic. Saudi style, so I didn’t write it.

I think the exponent on tech growth has just acquired another zero. All at once we have Microsoft Live, Google Plus, and my cable company switching from POP to IMAP without ever telling me. Now I’m wondering if the Mayans just miscalculated by about a year, LOL!http://forums.mozillazine.org/posting.php?mode=reply&f=39&t=2750681#
jjrowan

Post by jjrowan »

My TB started doing the same thing recently.
I had deleted some old mail servers I didn't need any more and TB started with the "... not suitable" stuff.

Today I forwarded a message that I had filed in a sub folder off Local Folders. The forwarded message is no where to be found.
I had forwarded a previously replied to message to the same recipient with an updated comment. I wanted to forward that to my wife but couldn't find it. I then forwarded the message to the same recipient as a test. That forward is no where to be found. I then forwarded it to myself. I received the forward but the copy I expected to end up in my sent folder is missing. I checked the message filter log, no mention of it in there. I cleared the logs, did it again, nothing in the log. I think it has something to do with the removal of the defunct mail servers.
linkuphost

Post by linkuphost »

Hello, I have posted what I am guessing is a related problem on another forum that I have been unable to solve and am reluctant to try some of the solutions as it seems with my luck I could make matters worse. I don't know if my problem is a mistake I made when setting up a new email account or if like someone suggested, it has to do with the upgrade in Thunderbird.

Whenever I click on an account to edit it, I get this error:

"A parent directory of the directory specified in the Local Directory setting is already used by the "it gives the previous account I created" account. Please pick another directory".

It gives me no option to edit any of the accounts to change the directory. I would even be all right with totally deleting the account it refers to if that would help, but I can't even highlight the account to choose the delete option. I got some tips about using the config editor, but they were confusing to me and I couldn't understand how the would help my problem.

If I can't get an answer that I can easily do with confidence, are there people who I could pay something to that are able to fix these things?

Thanks
linkuphost

Post by linkuphost »

I should also mention that when the last upgrade occurred, I totally lost one of my toolbars, the one that contains the things like font, font color, font size, underlining, etc. I tried an add-in to restore it and that didn't work either.

a suggestion was to go back to version 17 or something like that but that makes me nervous too.

thanks again..
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

That sounds like the HTML toolbar in the compose message window. It doesn't exist if the message is a plain text message. Double check that you really are creating a HTML message.

If you are, see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Toolbar_or_wi ... ot_working . You might need to delete localstore.rdf.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

linkuphost wrote:Whenever I click on an account to edit it, I get this error:

"A parent directory of the directory specified in the Local Directory setting is already used by the "it gives the previous account I created" account. Please pick another directory".

It gives me no option to edit any of the accounts to change the directory. I would even be all right with totally deleting the account it refers to if that would help, but I can't even highlight the account to choose the delete option. I got some tips about using the config editor, but they were confusing to me and I couldn't understand how the would help my problem.

Worst case exit Thunderbird, move your prefs.js file to a safe location somewhere else, start Thunderbird again and recreate the same accounts. Temporarily switch to working offline using file -> offline -> work offline, use the browse button in tools -> account settings -> account_name -> server settings to change the local directory as needed to use the old locations that your mail was stored at, or import the mail folders using the ImportExportTools add-on. Then switch back to working online. The reason for working offline is to avoid complications due to downloading messages or headers while you are fixing things.

The prefs.js file contains all your settings, including your account settings. So you will have to tweak your settings again.
kukolarik

Post by kukolarik »

So easy way to make it good in win7
Turn off internet and turn of thunderbird
backup all data
aaaaand
0. uninstal thunderbird and rename folder to any other, f.e. xThunderbird (users/name/appdata/roaming/thunderbird)
1. go to users/name/appdata/roaming/xthunderbird/Profiles and you see something like blablabla.default
2. rename it f.e. XXXXX.default
3. instal new one and run it and quit it
4. go to users/name/appdata/roaming/thunderbird/Profiles and you see ejejej.default
5. open thunderbird and set local folder to profile blabla
6. open thunderbird and import anythink you want from backup (i mean mozbackup) it will restore it to new profile ejejej
7. open account setting in thunderbird, now you can click anywhere and on each email on server something(econd from bottom) set route to new profile and move there from old profile the folder...

So this is way, just move your brain, a bit thing and all come easy...
DO NOT DELETE OLD PROFILE, to save space, move mail folder, but other things leave as it is...
Enroub

Post by Enroub »

Using SeaMonkey 2.22, when trying to look at Server Settings I also started getting the message "The Local Directory path "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\xxx.default\Local Folders" is not suitable for message storage. Please choose another directory".

The error prevented me from moving from the Server Settings section of the the Mail and Newsgroup Account Settings dialog and I had to cancel to continue. I follow two IMAP email accounts in addition to the "Local Folders" account in SeaMonkey, which I've been using for years without this problem.

I noticed that viewing the Server Settings for my other email account didn't give me the error and it had the following setting for the Local Directory:
C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\xxx.default\ImapMail\servername-1

Looking in the ImapMail folder, I saw that there was a folder with the name of the other server (presumably prepared by an earlier version of SeaMonkey). When I changed the name of the Local Directory to point to that folder rather than the one that had been objected to and which is used to store my local emails I no longer received the error message.

On closing the Server Settings dialog, I was prompted to restart SeaMonkey and, after a pause while it filled the folder with the relevant .sbd and .msf files, I was able to view the Server Settings without getting the error.
billee

Post by billee »

I have this problem on two computers. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable but after spending most of a day trying to fix it I am giving up.

I have used Thunderbird for many years and have been very satisfied. Lately I have had several problems that require a lot of time to fix. I get the impression that it has just become too complex to be reliable.
Jon Read

Post by Jon Read »

The same happened to me with a previous update. Very annoying. In fact it was the day I added an update, and when I searched the net all threads on it were started the same day I got my problem, so was obviously all in the same update a couple of months back in late September or there-abouts. How are people meant to change any settings ? Everything worked fine. There has been 3 or 4 updates since this problem started and no update fix. If it is a problem with us and what we are doing, then how come the majority suffered around the same time and everything else works fine ? By that I mean if the location is so wrong, how come Thunderbird works perfectly other than the annoying error message telling you the location is wrong ?

Thankfully I have a Google POP3 account that I added before the problem started, so if I right click on that for settings it allows me to add or change everything, however if I hadn't got that made prior to the problem happening I would not be able to have made that workaround. So if you have 2 POP3 accounts people, try right clicking on the other one or the lesser used one, it will let you access settings via that for all POP3 accounts without the error.
remilton

Post by remilton »

I am having the same problem: "C:\Users\Ron\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\x9gfi2hk.default\Local Folders" is not suitable for message storage. Please choose another directory. After reading much of this thread, I have tried several things without success and not having but a rudimentary understanding of how Thunderbird works I am just going to have to wait till those with a greater understanding come up with a fix. What I and many other users need is either an auto fix, or a detailed description of what is causing this and what steps to take to resolve it.
alecp

Post by alecp »

Disappointed to report that upgrading to Thunderbird 24.1.1 does not resolve this issue