Phoenix needs a new name

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

It was the Junkers Ju-87 "Stuka", which simply means "dive bomber" in English. Not a nice name for a browser.
dgil

Post by dgil »

fittysix wrote:I think if it's a bird it should be Raven

Do you know Raven software ? They produce the Heretic or Hexen series.
rdrr

Post by rdrr »

how about charon?

the ferryman that carried people over river to hades, and the moon of our smallest planet... pluto.
Paula

Post by Paula »

laszlo wrote:It was the Junkers Ju-87 "Stuka", which simply means "dive bomber" in English. Not a nice name for a browser.

Radiowriter wrote:When "Stuka" starts getting attention I worry that we've run completely out of ideas!

I also think so. Bird names are ok. But not such "birds"

The often proposed names out of the greek mythology are a good idea.
But "charon".... I don't know.... it's a bit to dark. Isn't it?
Whats about Hermes, the messanger of the goods? Or is this name to common?

Nice avatar, Paula.

Thanks. d'oh! :D
"If there's nothing wrong with me... maybe there's something wrong with the universe!"
flii

Post by flii »

ehume wrote:*Zephyr (top votegetter in my poll)

many think that this is because the zephr name was voted for when people voted for "none of the above". i'm not sure that poll is very valid. zephyr *was* listed twice, after all, and both instances as well as "none of the above" always had the same amount of votes.

jensf wrote:hmm i prefer the name Mozilla Light or Light Mozilla.
Don't know if someone allready suggeste the name becuase this thread is very very long...

for the last time (i wish) this has been suggested multiple times, and the developers <i>do not want any -zilla names</i>. it has been confirmed. and confirmed again.

@fantasai. i kinda like flare/flair. :) my favs are now firebird, scamp, phox/fox, flare/flair.
dgil

Pegais

Post by dgil »

I propose PEGAIS. As recorded by Pliny, the Pegais was a great bird with the head of a horse.

I own the pegais.org and pegais.com web site. I will give it for free to the phoenix group on request.
shimage

Post by shimage »

Paula wrote:Whats about Hermes, the messanger of the goods? Or is this name to common?

YAY! there's someone else that likes that! well. i suppose i was just joking, but i think that out of all the greek godesses and gods, Hermes fits the bill best. but that's just my thinking. then again, no one thinks my suggestions are even worth deriding, but oh well...

edit: i just realized something... if they're planning on releasing 0.5 tonight, then they probably already have a name chosen, which would make this thread obsolete. or did i miss something?
Paula

Post by Paula »

delited by Paula.
D'oh! I should read with more concentration.
The avatar fits realy
Last edited by Paula on December 7th, 2002, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's nothing wrong with me... maybe there's something wrong with the universe!"
seb

Post by seb »

shimage wrote:edit: i just realized something... if they're planning on releasing 0.5 tonight, then they probably already have a name chosen, which would make this thread obsolete. or did i miss something?

From Phoenix 0.5 FAQ:
The truth is that we'd already had this 0.5 released planned for awhile, so it was okay to release under the Phoenix name. But under no circumstances will any future release be called Phoenix.
shimage

Post by shimage »

Netsabes wrote:
shimage wrote:edit: i just realized something... if they're planning on releasing 0.5 tonight, then they probably already have a name chosen, which would make this thread obsolete. or did i miss something?

From Phoenix 0.5 FAQ:
The truth is that we'd already had this 0.5 released planned for awhile, so it was okay to release under the Phoenix name. But under no circumstances will any future release be called Phoenix.

sorry, it doesn't usually occur to me to read other people's drafts... soooo.... what's the best name?
aengblom

Post by aengblom »

What about a space theme? Netscape often used "Stars" in graphics. Also Pheonix somehow keyed to fusion for me. (Orange theme, fire)

Some thoughts (I did some thinking and some space glossary browsing)

Fusion
Phusion
Sol (Giver of life ;-) )
Helio
Centauri (hard to spell though)
Uranus (no wait ;-)
Cosmos
Warp (as in speed)
Apex (the point towards which a body is moving)
Aurora
Corona
nobody2234

Post by nobody2234 »

Hey... I like the sound of Flare as well.
InMotion

Post by InMotion »

What about Voyager?
Or if you want it to be a spelling-test, how about WebVoyager?

[edit]
...oh crap. Voyager is an AmigaOs web-browser. Voyager3 actually.
WebVoyager is a company which designs and updates web-pages.
Ah, well.

[edit]
...+it's a lotsa things as mentioned by Paula. This is what you get without proper research.
Ah, well.
Last edited by InMotion on December 7th, 2002, 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paula

Post by Paula »

InMotion wrote:What about Voyager?

There allready exists a browser called Voyager 6000

/edit
... and also a FTP-Progg with the same called FTP Voyager
Last edited by Paula on December 7th, 2002, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lazydesert

Post by lazydesert »

I think it should still be a type of bird.
My opinion is worthless because I just joined this forum.