Thunderbird email no longer works with Verizon email

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Root16

Thunderbird email no longer works with Verizon email

Post by Root16 »

I am writing on behalf of my friend who uses Thunderbird email client to do all her emailing with her Verizon email address. She got an email from Verizon that the pop and smtp settings were changing and that she'd need to update them in Thunderbird if she wanted to keep getting email in Thunderbird. I've put in the pop and smtp settings correctly but it still doesn't work. She can use Verizon's webmail just fine. Verizon tech support told me to get in touch with Thunderbird tech support, so here I am. :) Any ideas? Thanks!
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird email no longer works with Verizon email

Post by tanstaafl »

What is the full text of the error messages?

When you change the mail server for an account Thunderbird may change the local directory used to store your mail for that account. You can use the "browse" button at the bottom of tools -> account settings -> verizon -> server settings to change back to the old directory. If you need to do that copy the messages from the new inbox to a folder in Local Folders beforehand, so that you don't lose any messages that were downloaded after the directory changed.

What instructions did Verizon give her?
Root16

Post by Root16 »

They sent her an email with step by step instructions on how to change the server settings to the new, correct ones in Mac Mail but she uses Thunderbird and there is no Verizon help for this client. Here is the info for the Verizon account which I have put in. (I don't have the email they sent her). http://www.verizon.com/Support/Resident ... /86782.htm

There is no error message. The messages just don't show up. Nothing happens when you click "get mail". There is a status update on the bottom of the browser "connecting to verizon" or something, and there is a progress bar for a couple minutes. Then both go away and no emails arrive.

Thanks for your reply. :)

EDIT: I believe the version of Thunderbird is 24. I checked the version and it was up to date.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Have her delete the saved password in tools -> options -> security -> saved password, exit and restart. See if she gets prompted for the password when it checks for new mail. That is an easier way then enabling POP3 logging to get an idea of where it fails. The reason for restarting is that the deleted password would still be in memory.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Those are the correct server settings for Verizon, but they left out "Authentication method" should be "Normal password" for both servers.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Root16

Post by Root16 »

Okay, thanks guys! We were wondering which authentication method to use.

https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en ... figuration
Root16

Post by Root16 »

tanstaafl said:
When you change the mail server for an account Thunderbird may change the local directory used to store your mail for that account. You can use the "browse" button at the bottom of tools -> account settings -> verizon -> server settings to change back to the old directory. If you need to do that copy the messages from the new inbox to a folder in Local Folders beforehand, so that you don't lose any messages that were downloaded after the directory changed.

I'm not familiar with folder management in Thunderbird, so I'm not sure how to do this and I'm afraid I'll accidentally delete emails which would be very bad. Any more information you can give? Thanks.

Edit: setting password to normal seems to have been the magic bullet. It asked for the password, I entered it and the emails are downloading now. So looks like I won't have to mess with that inbox folder management stuff. Thanks guys!