Real Annoying Search Engine SafeSearch - Want to remove

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
matn1

Real Annoying Search Engine SafeSearch - Want to remove

Post by matn1 »

I have a real annoying problem with Firefox and safesearch from AV
No matter how many times I try to both remove it from my search engine and reset my homepage the following always
get put in my default url.

http://www.safesearch.net/?utm_medium=ff&utm_campaign=31&utm_source=sm&utm_content=1&utm_term=134D274FA5D04141

Is there anyway to remove this thing permanently from FIrefox? I went through regedit and add remove programs as well as addons. No luck.
I'm running out of ideas!

-- Thanks,
JayhawksRock

Re: Real Annoying Search Engine SafeSearch - Want to remove

Post by JayhawksRock »

Safesearch is a browser HiJacker / Spyware malware that is installed in Windows. This may help > http://www.ehow.com/how_7424928_remove-safe-search.html
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
matn1

Post by matn1 »

Sorry tried everything including what you suggested. No Luck. My homepage and google search engine, keeps getting hijacked by this SafeSearch.... Real annoying. Was hoping you guys have a solution to this. I am a Firefox fan for my browser, but when things like this happen it makes me less inclined to use
Firefox.

Hope you guys can get to the bottom of this and post a real solution or run some program within your browser
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Lets get things straight 99.9% of these things are installed as a ride along bundled with something you have downloaded and are set to use the default browser.
Have you tried Malwarebytes free version?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
matn1

Post by matn1 »

Well here's the thing guys. When I load firefox under search engines it keeps saying SafeSearch even after I remove it. I have 2 a)google and b)SafeSearch showing there and 1) I can't remove it 2) EVen after I set my homepage every time SafeSearch becomes the defaul 1 when I start.

Now I tried avg, malwarebytes, regedit, ccleaner, etc. No Luck. Even after I upgrade firefox to 18.0.1. Is there no solution?
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
matn1

Post by matn1 »

Sorry tried all of them...Giving up. Hopefully someday you'll have a complete install, that removes this capability.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

It is nothing to do with Firefox get that straight somewhere on YOUR computer you still have malware.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

matn1 wrote:Sorry tried all of them...Giving up. Hopefully someday you'll have a complete install, that removes this capability.

You're not really the sharpest knife in the drawer, are you? It will happen on whatever browser you happen to be using at the time you install more programs bundled with malware, as you have and will do.

In a few weeks, you will be on the Chrome forums posting 'Real annoying. Was hoping you guys have a solution to this. I am a Chrome fan for my browser, but when things like this happen it makes me less inclined to use Chrome.'

How ever young you are, you surely must be able to understand this simple point.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Daledoc1

Post by Daledoc1 »

Hi, matn1

The other folks are correct -- this is malware.
It has nothing to do with Firefox.
It will require some expert help and specialized tools to remove it.

My suggestion would be to head over to one of the reputable malware-removal forums and get some free, expert help.
For example, start at either of the following sites and follow the instructions: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=9573 or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic182397.html

HTH,

daledoc1
Updated specs: Longtime TB user. Currently on Win10 desktop (about to die), Win7 desktop (temporarily resuscitated), backup Win7 laptop (decommissioning soon), and -- soon -- Win11 PRO x64 desktop.
James

Post by James »

matn1 wrote:Hope you guys can get to the bottom of this and post a real solution or run some program within your browser

Hopefully someday you'll have..

Also mozillaZine does not the have ability to deal with Firefox like this as it should be obvious enough that it is not a Mozilla run site. http://www.mozillazine.org/about/
matn1

Post by matn1 »

Well, just when I was going to give up completely. This is what I did. Seems like none of the anti-spware or antivirus software worked for me.
I
1) exported my bookmarks first 2) Removed Firefox though add/remove programs 3) Removed all references for firefox and SafeSearch in my registry and all SafeSearch .dlls on my filesystem as above
4( Completely removed all firefox files thorugh windows explorer 5) Re-installed fresh firefox with no Search toolbars 6) Had to reimport my bookmarks

But this did the trick for me.
matn1

Post by matn1 »

Wanted to say thanks for the help.. Most frustrating
arizonarod

Post by arizonarod »

Read the above tricks of the trade and nothing worked for me either. Read what matn1 finally did to get rid of (un)safesearch so I did the following without having to save or export bookmarks or personal tabs. Everything stayed the same except no more (un)safesearch. How? Just reset your firefox program. Once you activate FireFox, on your tool line go to "Help" "troubleshooting information" on the top right side click on "reset FireFox to its original default state. One click that is all.
Mazzen

Post by Mazzen »

Hi there,
I suggest you follow this step by step free guide from this site to help you get rid of search safer : http://www.how-to-remove.com/search-safer/
It worked for me.