Can't comment in Youtube/Google+; 3rd-party cookies disabled

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
BunkFace

Can't comment in Youtube/Google+; 3rd-party cookies disabled

Post by BunkFace »

Ever since Youtube required Google+ to comment, I had been unable to comment on Youtube videos, even though I have a Google+ account linked to my Youtube account. Clicking on a comment box opens up a new tab with an URL that looks something like https://plus.google.com/u/0/wm/4/up/?type=st&client=7&gpsrc=gpfw0&parent=https%3A%2F%2Fapis.google.com&proxy=I1_...&rsz=1&hl=en_US, then that tab get closed and I get returned to the Youtube page I am viewing, still unable to comment.

Upon further troubleshooting, I realized that this is due to having 'accept third-party cookies' set to 'Never' in Firefox' settings. Allowing third-party cookies for all sites (setting it to 'always') makes me able to comment in Youtube normally.

I still would prefer to disable third party cookies for all websites and just make an exception for Youtube, though. So, I tried making an exception for 'youtube.com' and 'plus.google.com' in Firefox options > Privacy > History > Exceptions and have set it to 'allow', but I still can't comment. Adding 'google.com' in the cookie settings exception fixes this issue but this will also allow third party cookies for all google.com websites. I'd rather not do that to prevent Google from tracking me more than it already does.

How do I configure Firefox to allow commenting in Youtube while still mostly not allowing third-party cookies by default? Are there extensions that can allow this in such a way that third-party cookies are still mostly disabled (just allow it at times I would like to comment in Youtube, or make an exception for Youtube)?

I'm using Firefox 25.0.1 on Windows 7.
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Can't comment in Youtube/Google+; 3rd-party cookies disa

Post by malliz »

Maybe something here
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2767529
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

BunkFace

Post by BunkFace »

Reposting solution that worked for me here:

Omega X wrote:For future reference: (For those without NoScript.)

The new Youtube comments uses Google Plus. In order for the scripts to work, you have to allow the Third Party Google.com iframe to set cookies within the First Party Youtube.com.

If you have block Third Party enabled, go to Options > Privacy > Exceptions and add the two subdomains below and ALLOW them to be set and accessed.

1. plus.google.com
2. apis.google.com

Those two will properly allow the cookies to set and the scripts to do their thing. Without them, blocking Third Party Google.com won't have access to the Youtube.com First party domain.

I found that plus.googleapis.com not to get the job done so to speak. Plus.google.com will allow the notification panel to work and apis.google.com for the comments iframe/scripts to work.

I only added `apis.google.com` as an exception and set it to 'allow for session'.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

If you allow for session, you'll have to log in again the next time you want to post a comment.

Adding an exception for plus.google.com allows the notification bell to work when you receive a reply or other activity on your Youtube or G+ profile.
BunkFace

Post by BunkFace »

Omega X wrote:If you allow for session, you'll have to log in again the next time you want to post a comment.

In my experience, YouTube does not require me to log in every time I want to comment, even if I set `apis.google.com` to 'allow for session'. This is even after I have closed and reopened the browser (new browser session). `
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

It was only a suggestion to make sure everything worked as intended. But its your choice as how to handle sessions. Good luck.