Unable to open attachments

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Hershy

Unable to open attachments

Post by Hershy »

When I try to open attachments, the dialog window that opens for me has the OK button greyed out.
Wether I chose a default program or attempt to use a new one, this button remains greyed out and unaccessible to me.
What to do ?

Also, if I receive an E-mail with several attachments, the list of attachments is shown on the bottom of the screen and cannot be scrolled down. It remains there and it encroaches onto the valuable on screen real estate. I see the list of attachments but have to scrolll up and down to see the attachment.
What to do No. 2 ?

I am using Thunderbird version 1.00

Thanks from sunny Australia
FreddyP

Post by FreddyP »

Item 1 -- I'm no programming expert, but it is possible that your mimeTypes.rdf files has become corrupted. The mimeTypes .rdf file stores your preferences for the helper applications TB uses to open the various attachment types. You could try going to your profile folder and renaming the mimeTypes.rdf to mimeTypes_OLD.rdf (just to be safe). Do this with TB closed (not running). This way you will still have the original as a backup.

In Windows XP (assuming you're using Windows) your profile folder should be at:

C:\Documents and Settings\(Your_User_Name)\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\(Some numbers that don't make much sense).default

TB should create a new mimeTypes.rdf file when you restart the program. Now try to open a .doc attachment and see if you have the OK button and can associate the .doc file with Word. If this solves the problem, you will need to rebuild all of your attachment preferences. If it doesn't, simply close TB, delete the new mimeTypes.rdf file that was just created, rename the backup to mimeTypes.rdf and you're back where you started.

Item 2 -- Try this in userChrome.css

/*
* Attachment pane in message window
*/
#attachmentView {
height: 65px !important;
overflow: scroll !important;
}

I use the Chromedit extension to add to or edit my user files. (Use the repackaged version.) Here's a link to Chromedit 0.1.1.1 - http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.ph ... owtopic=22
Hope this helps....
jazper

Post by jazper »

Hershy

Post by Hershy »

Frddy P, thanks, item 1 successfully addressed.
Item2 still a problem as Thunderbird is refusing to download extention as a safety precaution.
What to do ?
FreddyP

Post by FreddyP »

Suggest you go to the extension site, right click on the download link (under the repackaged version, should have a file name of ChromeEdit_0.1.1.1_bump.xpi) and SAVE AS to a folder location of your choice (assuming you're running Windows.).

Now, in TB, go to TOOLS>EXTENSIONS>INSTALL (button at bottom of window) brows to the file you just downloaded and open, which should install the extension. You will then need to close and restart TB for the extension to run for the first time. This is different from the process used in Firefox.

See if this helps....
Hershy

Post by Hershy »

FreddyP,
I have attempted your suggestion but Crome cannot be installed as apparently i have the wrong verison of TB . I have verison 1.
What to do ?
FreddyP

Post by FreddyP »

I am also running version 1.0 of TB and have installed the extension with no problem. What kind of error messages do you receive?

Did you follow the procedure described exactly? I ask, because if you simply left click on the download link directly from the web page and follow the install instructions I think the extension will install Chromedit in Firefox but not TB.
Hershy

Post by Hershy »

I am informed by the error message that ChromeEdit only works with version 7 and 8.