[Ext] Classic Theme Restorer (for Australis UI)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Aris

Re: [Ext] Classic Theme Restorer (for Australis UI)

Post by Aris »

Combining nav & seach bars and moving toolbar buttons to the combined bar is achieved by using add-ons, right? If so, then there is no support in CTR or CTB right now.

CTB and CTR won't be merged. Internally both extensions differ to much and CTB is still Windows only and restartless. ;-)

@Xetmes
But on the screenshot you are using your Fx theme or are you using a custom Windows theme?

With AeroBasic and AeroGlass my Firefox is blue like on the screenshot in the first post.
Xetmes

Post by Xetmes »

Aris, on last screen with Aero test You can see default aero, I don't use any extra Nightly theme, just few css things in stylish. On screen where are only tabs visible You can see my personal Windows 7 theme, but this thing happen on all themes, made by others as well. So looks like, Australis + Your Extension= no love for third part themes :D
I don't blame You, not Your fault or something, cheers.
EinsteinsDaddy

Post by EinsteinsDaddy »

Aris wrote:Combining nav & seach bars and moving toolbar buttons to the combined bar is achieved by using add-ons, right?

Just wondering about the size of the add-on icons. Whether on the Nav-Bar or on the AddOn-Bar, they're not conforming to the icon sizes set in CTB. Isn't a problem in Version 26 Beta. :wink:

EDIT: I have Nav-Bar Buttons set as "Enabled Small Buttons [Firefox UX]" in CTB.
juanj78

Post by juanj78 »

CTB works on Mac, with no problems (with nightly tester tools)
Aris

Post by Aris »

EinsteinsDaddy wrote:
Aris wrote:Combining nav & seach bars and moving toolbar buttons to the combined bar is achieved by using add-ons, right?

Just wondering about the size of the add-on icons. Whether on the Nav-Bar or on the AddOn-Bar, they're not conforming to the icon sizes set in CTB. Isn't a problem in Version 26 Beta. :wink:

EDIT: I have Nav-Bar Buttons set as "Enabled Small Buttons [Firefox UX]" in CTB.

Seems to be almost identical to me
Fx26beta + small icon view + CTBs nav-bar option for non-Australis builds
Fx28nightly + CTBs small icon view for UX/Australis

Are you trying to use small icons settings from CTR and CTB simultanously? If yes, disable CTRs setting, CTBs option does the job. :mrgreen:
Also make sure CTB 1.3.3pre2 is installed.

juanj78 wrote:CTB works on Mac, with no problems (with nightly tester tools)

I know CTB works partly on Mac/Linux, but not all settings do what they are intended for.
marty60

Post by marty60 »

Probably in the minority here considering the unpopularity of Australis but after installing this addon and updating a few other ones I actually think the UI looks pretty sharp now. I also like the way CTR remembers settings so that if it's disabled then re-enabled everything comes back exactly the way you had it and you don't have to re-do anything.

The problems will come with average users when they open up the latest Firefox and find it's all different and less configurable. When that happens we'll be sure to direct them to this addon.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

@marty60, it isn't so much the changes in appearance as that is primarily in the eye of the beholder, but the removal of key items and/or features such as the addon bar and small buttons to name a few.

If the developers thought the addon bar should be removed, so be it. But, knowing that there is a core of users who make great use of the addon bar, why not take and convert it into an addon that is then available to those of us who still and will continue to use it?
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
marty60

Post by marty60 »

Agreed, Australis by itself ruins what makes Firefox worth using because it takes away so much customizability. It does make the buttons and toolbars looks sharper though. It's addons like this that will keep Firefox going just as Classic Shell fixes Microsoft's mistakes.
coolstud

Post by coolstud »

Hi Aris

Can you help me achieve the tabs and new tab button below with CSS code to put in Stylish addon.

Visible on "not selected" and on "hover".

Many Thanks

Sanjay
Last edited by coolstud on November 22nd, 2013, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aris

Post by Aris »

Its not just css you need to create custom rounded tabs. I had to create own image files for the 'experimental rounded tabs' option. Means the images can only be for one specific Fx theme like Aero, classic or silver etc..
coolstud

Post by coolstud »

Aris wrote:Its not just css you need to create custom rounded tabs. I had to create own image files for the 'experimental rounded tabs' option. Means the images can only be for one specific Fx theme like Aero, classic or silver etc..

I have tried this from the browser.css by changing the start and end png but cannot get the middle visible.

Code: Select all

.tabbrowser-tab > .tab-stack > .tab-background:not([selected=true]),
.tabs-newtab-button {
  background-image: url(chrome://browser/skin/tabbrowser/tab-selected-start.svg),
                    url(chrome://browser/skin/tabbrowser/tab-selected-middle.svg),
                    url(chrome://browser/skin/tabbrowser/tab-selected-end.svg);
  background-position: left bottom, 30px bottom, right bottom;
  background-repeat: no-repeat; }
kilara1988

Post by kilara1988 »

I just noticed that the urlbar has its left side perfectly squared while the right side has a very slight rounding on the edges.

Xetmes

Post by Xetmes »

Aris, can You reconsider add option to place home button as tab, since Australis landed not possible to do that anymore.
wgianopoulos

Post by wgianopoulos »

Some constructive (I hope) criticism.

One thing that I think would make this extension more useful would be the addition of 2 buttons at the bottom of the options window.

The first labeled Australis defaults, would reset the extension to the Australis defaults. The second would be labeled Pre-Australis defaults, and restore things to the way they were before the Australis landing.

Now for the more controversial suggestions.

The Australis defaults should be the default for the extension, so you install the extension and it does nothing until you change something.

The second is to change the name of the extension from "Classic Theme Restorer" to "Australis Tweaks".

The point of both of these changes is to make this not an anti-change extension but a try to make things better extension.

I also think my new suggested name more adequately describes what the extension does.
Aris

Post by Aris »

coolstud wrote:
Aris wrote:Its not just css you need to create custom rounded tabs. I had to create own image files for the 'experimental rounded tabs' option. Means the images can only be for one specific Fx theme like Aero, classic or silver etc..

I have tried this from the browser.css by changing the start and end png but cannot get the middle visible.

Code: Select all

.tabbrowser-tab > .tab-stack > .tab-background:not([selected=true]),
.tabs-newtab-button {
  background-image: url(chrome://browser/skin/tabbrowser/tab-selected-start.svg),
                    url(chrome://browser/skin/tabbrowser/tab-selected-middle.svg),
                    url(chrome://browser/skin/tabbrowser/tab-selected-end.svg);
  background-position: left bottom, 30px bottom, right bottom;
  background-repeat: no-repeat; }

This file does not exist for some reason; "chrome://browser/skin/tabbrowser/tab-selected-middle.svg"
If you copy&paste files into urlbar this one is missing.

kilara1988 wrote:I just noticed that the urlbar has its left side perfectly squared while the right side has a very slight rounding on the edges.

I will look into this.

Xetmes wrote:Aris, can You reconsider add option to place home button as tab, since Australis landed not possible to do that anymore.

Whats the difference compared to moving button to tabs toolbar or pinning 'about:home' as apptab. Which Fx version was the last where home button was like this?

wgianopoulos wrote:Some constructive (I hope) criticism.

One thing that I think would make this extension more useful would be the addition of 2 buttons at the bottom of the options window.

The first labeled Australis defaults, would reset the extension to the Australis defaults. The second would be labeled Pre-Australis defaults, and restore things to the way they were before the Australis landing.

Now for the more controversial suggestions.

The Australis defaults should be the default for the extension, so you install the extension and it does nothing until you change something.

The second is to change the name of the extension from "Classic Theme Restorer" to "Australis Tweaks".

The point of both of these changes is to make this not an anti-change extension but a try to make things better extension.

I also think my new suggested name more adequately describes what the extension does.

Thanks for constructive criticism.

I will probably add some buttons to export/import settings or restore default settings, but I don't see the need to reset the extension to Australis defaults. If someone prefers Australis the way it is, why would he or she install this add-on? And some changes to Australis cannot be undone, while the add-on is active, e.g. movable urlbar, extra buttons, some movable default buttons, urlbar-window min-width and a few other things. Custom buttons also cannot be fully hidden from customize area, I don't know why.

I had a few names in mind like UI restorer, UI tweaker etc., but my idea to chose CTR based on something different. I hope this add-on will once be used by average users too and not only by us power users, tweakers and customizers.
Most Firefox users do not and will not know the name "Australis". For them Firefox will just look different after Australis goes final, but it would still be Firefox, a different looking Firefox. Probably some of them would prefer to restore the classic ui, but without knowing the term "Australis" nobody will look or search for something with such a name. Maybe the best name would be something like "Firefox customizer", but this would be also too general. Also I think "Australis" could become a Mozilla trademark like "Firefox". Officially AMO rules forbid to use Mozilla trademarks in add-on names. There are of course some exceptions.