thunderbird running slow or freezes

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
xpresso

thunderbird running slow or freezes

Post by xpresso »

recently a new update came through ( I am using windows 7) and since then my emails are running sow slow and freeze for a little while....tried uninstalling and reinstalling but no different...can anyone help?
DanRaisch

Re: thunderbird running slow or freezes

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Support.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the application has absolutely no impact on your Profile, which is where saved data such as account settings, message files, etc is stored and where most problems originate.
What version of Thunderbird do you have installed? Look under Help->About Thunderbird for that information.
Do you have more than one email account set up in Thunderbird? POP or IMAP type account(s)?
Rancid Pixie

Post by Rancid Pixie »

Hi there.... I have been suffering the same problem since the upgrade to 15.0.1.
As soon as i open TB it says it's not repsonding... I have 3 mail boxes, one POP and 2 IMAP

I'm running Windows 7 - any help greatly received!

Lisa
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Rancid Pixie, you have a different problem from what the OP reported. Please create a new topic to get support so things don't get confused here.
xpresso

Post by xpresso »

[quote="DanRaisch"]Moving to Thunderbird Support.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the application has absolutely no impact on your Profile, which is where saved data such as account settings, message files, etc is stored and where most problems originate.
What version of Thunderbird do you have installed? Look under Help->About Thunderbird for that information.
Do you have more than one email account set up in Thunderbird? POP or IMAP type account(s)?[/quo

Hi....im using 15.0.1 and only have 1 email account....when it goes really slow or freezes it comes up with thunderbird not responding and sometimes comes up with a script error...I think the last one said something like script:resource://modules/dbViendVrapper.js:249......not sure if that is 100%correct but it was something like that if that makes any sense to you?....Thx
xpresso

Post by xpresso »

Hi....im using 15.0.1 and only have 1 email account.....when it goes really slow or freezes it comes up with thunderbird not responding and sometimes comes up with a script error... i think the last one said something like ...script:resource://modules/dbviendVrapper.js:249....not sure if this is 100% correct but hope it makes sense to you....it's as if its timing out....runs both slow when downloading emails and when trying to open them once there in my inbox....have been in touch with my provider and everything seems to be fine from there end and definatly looks like a thunderbird problem....Thx
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
xpresso

Post by xpresso »

Hi.....I think I have fixed my problem.....I left clicked on on a folder...eg Inbox...then right clicked...went to properties and hit repair folder....I did this with each folder and now they seem to be working fine....Thx for your help....if it plays up again i'l be back
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.
CarrieF

Post by CarrieF »

I was having the exact same problem and, after doing some hunting online, I was able to finally find a solution.

The source of the problem was my McAfee Anti-virus program. I had to change the settings in my McAfee so it would stop scanning emails and their attachments for viruses. Here is what I did:

Open McAfee (or just left click on the icon) and in the Change Settings menu, click "Real Time Scanning." Then choose "Settings" (you may have to first click in the box that appears in order for the settings box to show up) and where it says "Scan these attachments and locations," be sure to un-click the box next to "email attachments." Then click "Apply."

As soon as I did this, I was finally able to once again quickly highlight, move and delete messages in my Inbox.

I just hope I don't encounter any problems from having that e-mail scanning deactivated! :roll:
ewedel

Post by ewedel »

Huge thanks to CarrieF! Had tried the "repair folders" and "safe mode" suggestions, to no avail.

But disabling e-mail attachment scanning in McAfee did the trick.

For Thunderbird devs & anybody else who might be interested, I'm running Thunderbird 17.0.2 (current as of this writing) and McAfee Total Protection (also current) whose relevant component versions are:

McAfee Anti-Spam
version 13.1
build 13.1.115 (last update 1/19/2013)
content version 4496 (last update 2/18/2013)
engine version 3.0.0.429

McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware
version 16.1
build 16.1.144 (last update 2/18/2013)
engine version 1439.0 (creation date 2/17/2013)

regards, Eric
valscott

Post by valscott »

I am not sure I really like that fix. What is the purpose of anti-spam and anti-virus, if I have to turn it off? Does anyone know if Norton does the same. I am contemplating my next move. Change Security protection or find a new mail client. I have been fussing with this since the first of the year and really do not have the time to "try this" approach. Thanks! val
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

From the reports we keep getting here, McAfee, Norton & AVG seem to not play nice with Thunderbird &/or Firefox.

They "remove/quarantine" stuff that they have no reason to.

Even Avast's email scanner has been known to cause the occasional glitch & "we" recommend it over anything else.
Besides which, you shouldn't have to scan your out going emails anyway.

It's your choice in the end as to which approach you take.

We're just users, like you.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
alanthom

Post by alanthom »

I had this problem - it occurred suddenly. I removed Cloudmark Desktop One - and now all is well.
To remove this go to Tools - Add Ons - then Extensions. Just remove The appropriate one
Hope this helps
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Thanks for your report but you've replied to a thread that's been dead for nine months.

Locking this due to the age of the original posts.