Nightly Discussion Thread: 2013-11-27 - 2013-12-01

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Re: Nightly Discussion Thread: 2013-11-27 - 2013-12-01

Post by joeg »

geeknik wrote:Mozilla has a Nightly Win64 build. They have hourly Win64 builds. Where are the Holly Win64 builds?
In the hopes and dreams of many of us, and, unfortunately, it looks like this is where they're gonna stay unless there's a miracle - or Santa Claus has some programmers among his reindeer and elves. :roll:
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
Steve196

Post by Steve196 »

Since, according to RyanVM, Win64 supported builds are definitely in the future, that future will be after the Nightly (with the Australis merge) lands on the release Fx and, therefore, the Holly builds will be no more so why have an interim Win64 Holly build?

Yes, conjecture on my part, indeed, but it's my best observational summary.
My avatar is my newly adopted kitten ... I figured y'all were getting tired of looking at my baggy eyes. :)
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

Steve196 wrote:... so why have an interim Win64 Holly build?
Ummmm, why not? :D
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
Steve196

Post by Steve196 »

JoeG wrote:

I dunno except for the reasoning I presented above.
I think Holly is a dead-end branch and not much effort is being given it.
It's all going to the Nightly (with the Australis merge) and it's going to take us all along whether or not we go kicking and screaming (I've done my share of screaming - I haven't kicked, however - as I recode all my customizations). :)
My avatar is my newly adopted kitten ... I figured y'all were getting tired of looking at my baggy eyes. :)
joeg

Post by joeg »

Steve196 wrote:
JoeG wrote:
...Holly is a dead-end branch and not much effort is being given it...
I guess I don't understand how much effort actually goes into creating one of the builds. Anyway, what you've said makes perfectly good sense, or at least as much sense as anything that's been said about Australis. ](*,)
NM156

Post by NM156 »

pal-moz wrote:
Eriatile wrote:
StealthX wrote:What is this Firefox Touch folder in my bookmarks, and is it safe to delete it?

It's related to bug 939092
From what I understood (but it's not perfectly clear for me) it's a folder to share bookmark between desktop and metro interface. (don't know why on windows 7 I/we have the folder)

bookmarks in Touch are same as in Recently Bookmarked.
intended ?

I believe that I may have come across a nasty little bug connected with this folder...

Running XP Service Pack 3 and using the Holly build released earlier today, it appears that deleting any of the bookmarks found in the Firefox Touch folder also deletes them from the folder in which they were originally bookmarked when first saved.

I deleted a bookmark to a YouTube video, which was originally, and recently, saved in my Bookmarks Toolbar's "YouTube" folder, from the Firefox Touch bookmark folder and it was deleted from the Firefox Touch folder and the YouTube folder simultaneously!

The problem here was that I had deleted several bookmarks from the Touch folder before I realized that they were also being deleted from their original save locations. As a result, I lost about 15-18 bookmarks and restoring the bookmarks backup didn't restore all of them.

They won't be a serious chore to replace but I was quite shocked to see this occur.

I'm hoping this isn't meant to be intentional behavior since I suspect I wasn't the only one who was taken by surprise when this occurred.

In the meantime, I'd strongly suggest leaving that folder alone or doing nothing more than using it to launch those bookmarks. :-)

Hope this may have been of help.

Cheers,

NM156
Cheers,

NM156
RyanVM

Post by RyanVM »

JoeG wrote:

Because there's never going to be a Win64 release off the Holly branch? Any future official Win64 release will come off what is on m-c now.
Steve196

Post by Steve196 »

RyanVM wrote:
JoeG wrote:

Because there's never going to be a Win64 release off the Holly branch? Any future official Win64 release will come off what is on m-c now.

That's what I was thinking ... I'm OK with that and dealing with the new stuff rather well.
I cannot speak for those disappointed, but I see the extension authors and the Style authors which I use reacting quite quickly to augment what is now on m-c.
Change is always a b--ch. I've been staying up too late many nights getting things right but I like the challenge.
Thankfully, MozillaZine (among other sites) has a wide variety of those doing the same, much better than I could ever do, teaching us how to do so.
Even so, for those Fx users who have no idea how to make things different, or have someone like Frank Lion to make it all better again, than what is going to be handed to them, you're going to throw them for a huge loop.

As always, RyanVM, your input here is alwaeys appreciated by me. :)
Eriatile

Post by Eriatile »

NM156 wrote:I believe that I may have come across a nasty little bug connected with this folder...
Running XP Service Pack 3 and using the Holly build released earlier today, it appears that deleting any of the bookmarks found in the Firefox Touch folder also deletes them from the folder in which they were originally bookmarked when first saved.

It's not a bug : firefox touch folder is like "Recently bookmarked" and "Recent tags", these "folder" are predefined search/queries giving quick access to your bookmarks wherever they really are. (Note their icon : blue folder with a magnifying glass)
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

Win32 Nightly (for 2013-11-30) is out: http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/e9337081c744
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
Abbadon

Post by Abbadon »

Hi,

Aurora crashes very often for me with error message gfxContext::gfxContext(mozilla::gfx::DrawTarget*): https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/ ... 9712131130
I have this problem since a long time, maybe it came with the 4th november builds as mentioned in the bugreports.
The setting gfx.content.azure.enabled is set to true.

Is there any chance for a quick fix?
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Abbadon wrote:Hi,

Aurora crashes very often for me with error message gfxContext::gfxContext(mozilla::gfx::DrawTarget*): https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/ ... 9712131130
I have this problem since a long time, maybe it came with the 4th november builds as mentioned in the bugreports.
The setting gfx.content.azure.enabled is set to true.

Is there any chance for a quick fix?

This appears to have landed in Aurora https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=937972 but .. that crash was for when
azure.content was set to 'false'.

I believe I'd add a comment to the bug, along with your crash-reports and ask about why the signature is the same with the pref set to 'true'
StealthX

Post by StealthX »

What is 'Relaunch in Windows 8 style Holly' and why is it making my dropdown menu extra wide.

Also keep downloading Holly from https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org ... lly-win32/ because the one that is suppose to update automatically doesn't do anything after I update it.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

StealthX wrote:What is 'Relaunch in Windows 8 style Holly' and why is it making my dropdown menu extra wide.

Also keep downloading Holly from https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org ... lly-win32/ because the one that is suppose to update automatically doesn't do anything after I update it.

On Windows Ate it switches to Metrosexual mode.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

Omega X wrote:
StealthX wrote:What is 'Relaunch in Windows 8 style Holly' and why is it making my dropdown menu extra wide.

On Windows Ate it switches to Metrosexual mode.

:lol:
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi