Seamonkey Project - Proposed Alternative Name Archive.

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Sunny Rabbiera

Post by Sunny Rabbiera »

bleyz wrote:Some comments:

The name 'Drake' and derivates seem to be enjoying some support!

Someone said Whiterabbit? While we're at it, add: 'Alice'. Has a similar ring to other popular software such as Maya, Amaya, Operaand such (2-3 syllables without consonant clusters). Also, Alice (as whiterabbit) evokes the package's possibilities: one pill makes you larges, and one pill makes you small, but the ones that mother gives you don't do anything at all... come to think of it, that's a pretty inspiriing song for the program. 'Go ask Alice, I think she'll know'.

yeh it does show promise...
the browser could be whiterabbit
the E mail could be known as Alice
the HTML editor can be wonderland and the chat applet could be called cheshire...
or call the suite Wonderland.... but I am sure thats been done
BamseIsUnix

Post by BamseIsUnix »

Now you guys are really hooked on Carroll.

Let's call the IRC module Jabberwocky.
sometimes browsing these internets makes me laffo
Mozilla Suite user --- SeaMonkey supporter
(away for several months)
Sunny Rabbiera

Post by Sunny Rabbiera »

we can go for "avenger" but thats probably used
or we can have the name backwords: Allizom!
or even play on that more and name it Alliz Avenger...
they didnt say we could not spell the names sdrowkcab ;)
bleyz

Post by bleyz »

'Tertiary' means 'third-y'. We're living in the Quaternary, dinosaurs lived during the Secondary, and trilibites during the Primary. But the two last names are not much used, rather Paleozoic and Mesozoic.

I don't think a theme qualifies as software. Firebird is a database, and how ridiculous would it be to say 'we'll be using FB for the database and FB as a web client...'? Please avoid names in use by other software, but a theme isn't software, with all due respect.

There's also a plant by the name Artemisia.
Joe1962

Post by Joe1962 »

Albatross or Albatross Navigator or Albatross Internet Suite, or whatever variation. The Albatross (a bird, if anyone doesn't know) is a long distance flier, which "navigates" the skies over the oceans. It has a huge wingspan which allows it to soar effortlessly for long distances.
SM (usually latest stable) on Linux Mint 19 x86_64.
omega1

Post by omega1 »

Why not all work together under an already established name...

Beonex...?

Wouldn't Ben appreciate the project he leads being the saviour of Mozilla?
KaiRo

A word from project management (or one member of that team)

Post by KaiRo »

I've created a list of all suggested names that so far turned up on the wiki, this forum, npm.seamonkey, and one personal mail to me, and that seemed valid (for this forum, I took them from comment 0; additionally I left out everything ending in *illa [Godzilla trademark issue, too similar to "Mozilla"] or using the moz* prefix [again, too similar to "Mozilla"]). We have to chose a different name from "Mozilla" so that people know this is NOT a Mozilla Foundation project, and therefore we should NOT sound similar to the "Mozilla" name as well.

I've entered all names that were left in a Google search and looked at the numbers of hits and the nature of the hits on the first page. This ruled out 95%-98% of all suggestions. If people would have done that before, I would have saved some hours of research today...

We'll look at all remaining names internally and try to get to a decision soon. We won't do a poll or something on it, as the project management team and the lead developers have to be satisfied with the name or else the prject would fall apart from the start. And polls tend to not be representing the truth anyways. Sorry for that. We really care about the commmunity, but sometimes we have to make decisions this way. We can't satisfy everyone, and never will be able to. We try very hard to get good solutions though.

That said, there is a name to which noone in the core team objected. But we'll see what comes out of the discussions.

I hope I can report to you soon with a decision.

Robert Kaiser
Project Management (a.k.a. "SeaMonkey drivers" as long as we have no decided names)
"Sometimes the roads we take do not turn out to be the roads we envisioned them to be" - Garth Brooks, booklet "the hits"
Scarrow

Post by Scarrow »

And with that, I'm supposing there's little reason for me to continue harvesting suggestions(?)

Thanks to everyone for contributing.
Hopefully, something we can all be pleased with will blossom from this little discussion. 8)
tsahi

Post by tsahi »

Drake sounds like the Yiddish "drek", which means garbage or even shit (i don't speak yiddish much). not many people speak yiddish today, but many yiddish words entered Hebrew (and even American english!), so this name, suggested by several, could pose a problem for us in israel.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

KaiRo,

"I left out everything ending in zilla [Godzilla trademark issue, too similar to "Mozilla"] or using the moz* prefix [again, too similar to "Mozilla"])"

So, I guess we'll not be getting MozSuite then. Since it is too close to the name Mozilla Suite.

As I understood it, the Mozilla Foundation was willing to allow Seamonkey to use the Moz prefix as it has for other software projects. I can understand forbidding -zilla or the entire Mozilla word, but MozSuite has definite virtues in terms of name recognition. Hope the Seamonkey developers reconsider the decision not to consider this name.

N
bleyz

Post by bleyz »

Regarding Drek, it's obviously the same as german Dreck, which sounds like it would in english. But there is hardly any word that can pass a clealiness test in every language, even if one keeps to widely spoken languages.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Please go with the prefix Moz. It already has a lot of branding clout. I would go with MozSeamonkey since many people already know the suite as "Seamonkey". With MozSeamonkey for the name of the suite Many people (garnted some won't know) will instantly know that this is the browser suite ( by using the name seamonkey) using the Gecko rendering engine/sharing a lot of code with FF/TB (by using the name Moz).

Why start the branding of the suite all over again. Please stay with something people already know MozSeamonkey. Also a big bonus using MozSeamonkey for the name of the Suite is that it is very unlikely we might find in a couple of months there is another software project using the name Moz or Seamonkey who would ask us to choose another name (as happened with FF/TB). Is there another name which has been suggested were we a as sure that the right to use this name will not be challenged?
KaiRo

Post by KaiRo »

Paul wrote:Please go with the prefix Moz.

Definately not. We should not resemble the "Mozilla" name in any way, and anything starting in "Moz" would be exactly that. I don't care if we are allowed to use it or not, as the 'not rembe "Mozilla"' argument stands against it anyways. The 'many people already know the suite as "Seamonkey"' argument only speaks for using "Seamonkey" as our name, which is also still under discussion (we don't want to rule out other possibilities beforehand though).
"Sometimes the roads we take do not turn out to be the roads we envisioned them to be" - Garth Brooks, booklet "the hits"
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

KaiRo,

I don't necessarily agree with your logic that resembling the Mozilla name in any way is a bad thing. A marketable name is key to Seamonkey's success. Since The Mozilla Foundation has already moved away from using the Mozilla name, confusion would be minimal in my opinion and MozSuite both invokes the history of the Suite while telling exactly what it is as opposed to IE and FF.

As for the SeaMonkey name, it has far less of a name recognition factor and less appeal to my mind. I can't shake that guy's post who said that Sea Monkey is an ersatz fish food.

In any event, the important point to remember is that SeaMonkey lives, regardless of its naming.

N
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
Jezza

Post by Jezza »

I still think that OpenMoz Suite or something VERY similar is best. You get the best of everyhing that way. 'Open' implies that it's not maintained by MoFo, but the 'Moz Suite' bit tells everyone what it actually is.