Add-ons Manager Hilite [Thunderbird & Legacy]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
bugblatter

Re: [Ext] Add-ons Manager Hilite

Post by bugblatter »

I found several bugs, one of which applies only when that listbox is disabled (some initialization is not getting run). Would you be willing to try a beta build with these fixes to see if that solves your issue? I should have one ready soon.

Sure, I'll try a beta whenever you're ready.

I have no idea what could be triggering that; will investigate that issue at some future time.

I was digging around myself with some trial and error, without much understanding, and the problem went away when I deleted this line from aomhilite.css:
Line 8: #aomhilite_size {max-width: 3em;}

Deleting the line seemed to have no effect on the little integer box itself, but the formatting of the entire page was much improved, that is, all the line widths were automatically wrapped according to the window width, instead of being fixed to some very small width.
custom.firefox.lady

Post by custom.firefox.lady »

bugblatter wrote:Sure, I'll try a beta whenever you're ready.
Great! Will post here when it's ready.

bugblatter wrote:I was digging around myself with some trial and error, without much understanding, and the problem went away when I deleted this line from aomhilite.css:
Line 8: #aomhilite_size {max-width: 3em;}

Deleting the line seemed to have no effect on the little integer box itself, but the formatting of the entire page was much improved, that is, all the line widths were automatically wrapped according to the window width, instead of being fixed to some very small width.
Wow, thanks! Why that line should affect the width of the page text is mysterious to me too. It was added at some point to squash a recurring cosmetic bug that made the 'little' integer box appear excessively wide. (There's another attempt to swat it elsewhere in the code, which is apparently effective in current versions of Firefox.) I'll remove the line from the css file. If doing so, causes that cosmetic bug to regress in older Firefox versions, well so be it.
custom.firefox.lady

Addons Manager Hilite 2.1b1 is now available for testing:

Changes since 2.0:
* Fixed: Hilite not always properly restored when switching between categories
* Fixed: Hilite/sorting not correctly initialized when 'Show Select Add-on list' option is disabled and 'Always Restore Hilite' option is enabled
* Fixed: Detailed description text in Add-ons Manager (of this add-on only) appears in unnecessarily narrow column.
* Fixed: Clicking dropdown arrow of Autocomplete Listbox not opening dropdown in Thunderbird and Seamonkey

Please report any bugs/issues. Thanks.

@bugblatter - Let me know if this fixes your issues.
bugblatter

Post by bugblatter »

Works fine for me so far after some initial testing. I'm pleasantly surprised about the fix with the disabled listbox, since bugs that aren't 100% repeatable are always hard (for me) to pin down. It works 10 out of 10 times now, which is great. The formatting for your description page looks good too. The separate highlighting in each category is a new feature for me - I actually thought the previous way was intentional, that is, selecting an item from one category would clear the selection in any other category. I've only tested it for extensions and plugins (as I only have 3 categories visible: Extensions, User Scripts (greasemonkey - obviously not working here), and Plugins). Thanks for all the fixes.
custom.firefox.lady

bugblatter wrote:... bugs that aren't 100% repeatable are always hard (for me) to pin down.

Indeed, but the bug I fixed was 100% reproducible, so I wasn't 100% certain it was the same bug. If you're curious these were the repro steps:

Disable 'Show Select Add-on list' option
Make sure 'always restore' option is enabled
Select an add-on
Close mgr
Open mgr
No hilite shown
Click another category
Return to first category
Hilite is now displayed

Support for greasemonkey scripts has never been requested by anyone.
Appreciated the bug reports and feedback.
Happy Thanksgiving all!
avada

Post by avada »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:Addons Manager Hilite 2.1b1 is now available for testing:

Changes since 2.0:
* Fixed: Hilite not always properly restored when switching between categories
* Fixed: Hilite/sorting not correctly initialized when 'Show Select Add-on list' option is disabled and 'Always Restore Hilite' option is enabled
* Fixed: Detailed description text in Add-ons Manager (of this add-on only) appears in unnecessarily narrow column.
* Fixed: Clicking dropdown arrow of Autocomplete Listbox not opening dropdown in Thunderbird and Seamonkey

Please report any bugs/issues. Thanks.

@bugblatter - Let me know if this fixes your issues.

custom.firefox.lady wrote:Support for greasemonkey scripts has never been requested by anyone.
Appreciated the bug reports and feedback.
Happy Thanksgiving all!

Hello!
Things seem to work well. What I miss a lot is the addon selector for greasemonky user scripts. If we could have it there too it would be great. (I noticed it was available for user styles)
It's also not shown for the services section but I don't know what that's for, I don't have anything in there.

It'd also be great if you added the sort by date feature to the gui settings too. Actually if it's possible, in my opinion the best would be to have a radio button for date/alphabetic and checkbox for having the disabled at the end of the list (which are also sorted apropriately).

How do you feel about the sorting buttons I asked about before?
bugblatter

Post by bugblatter »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:Indeed, but the bug I fixed was 100% reproducible, so I wasn't 100% certain it was the same bug. If you're curious these were the repro steps:

Disable 'Show Select Add-on list' option
Make sure 'always restore' option is enabled
Select an add-on
Close mgr
Open mgr
No hilite shown
Click another category
Return to first category
Hilite is now displayed

Interesting. I thought I tried that too.

Support for greasemonkey scripts has never been requested by anyone.

I have just one script so it doesn't matter to me yet.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

You too. Enjoy.
custom.firefox.lady

avada wrote:...What I miss a lot is the addon selector for greasemonky user scripts. If we could have it there too it would be great. (I noticed it was available for user styles)
Userscript support should not be difficult to add; will likely include it in beta2. I don't use Greasemonkey (or Stylish) in my everyday profile, so users will need to report any bugs with it.

avada wrote:It's also not shown for the services section but I don't know what that's for, I don't have anything in there.
Actually version 2.0 supports the Services category. Although I don't have anything in there to test with either.

avada wrote:How do you feel about the sorting buttons I asked about before?
My opinion on the sorting buttons has not changed; this will be decided at some future time - it won't be in 2.1.

bugblatter wrote:Interesting. I thought I tried that too.
I found/fixed the switching between categories bug first, so you may have been experiencing some combination of the two.
avada

Post by avada »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:Userscript support should not be difficult to add; will likely include it in beta2. I don't use Greasemonkey (or Stylish) in my everyday profile, so users will need to report any bugs with it.
Although I don't have anything in there to test with either.

Alright. Will report if something comes up.

How about what I mentioned about the default sorting behavior. Is that possible?
custom.firefox.lady

@avada - Nothing sorting-related will change in version 2.1. Your sorting-related ideas are appreciated and may be considered for some future version.
PS: The "I don't have anything in there to test with" refers to the Services category. Your (partial) quote of my reply implies that referred to userscripts. I do have 2 (empty) userscripts in my development profile.
custom.firefox.lady

Addons Manager Hilite 2.1b2 is now available for testing:

Changes since 2.1b1:
* Added support for Greasemonkey Userscripts

This will be the last 2.1 beta unless bugs are found. Thanks to all testers!
avada

Post by avada »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:Addons Manager Hilite 2.1b2 is now available for testing:

Changes since 2.1b1:
* Added support for Greasemonkey Userscripts

This will be the last 2.1 beta unless bugs are found. Thanks to all testers!

Great! It works fine.
avada

Post by avada »

Closing the addons window and opening it again (with hotkey) with latest beta the sorting seems to change back to FF default. But if I change sections I get the date based sorting working again. (extensions.addonsmgrhilte@cfl.updatedSort is enabled)
custom.firefox.lady

avada wrote:Closing the addons window and opening it again (with hotkey) with latest beta the sorting seems to change back to FF default. But if I change sections I get the date based sorting working again. (extensions.addonsmgrhilte@cfl.updatedSort is enabled)

Confirmed bug: If 'Always Restore Hilite' option is off and date based sorting is on, date based sorting is not taking effect on Add-ons Manager load.

Thanks for the report. The extension seems to be attempting to sort before the add-on list is completely ready. Should be fixed in next beta.
avada

Post by avada »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:
avada wrote:Closing the addons window and opening it again (with hotkey) with latest beta the sorting seems to change back to FF default. But if I change sections I get the date based sorting working again. (extensions.addonsmgrhilte@cfl.updatedSort is enabled)

Confirmed bug: If 'Always Restore Hilite' option is off and date based sorting is on, date based sorting is not taking effect on Add-ons Manager load.

Thanks for the report. The extension seems to be attempting to sort before the add-on list is completely ready. Should be fixed in next beta.

Swell.
Though I don't think 'Always Restore Hilite' option is relevant, because I have it enabled and it happens just the same.