MIME Type not Supported

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
MarkRH

Re: MIME Type not Supported

Post by MarkRH »

Yeah, It serves different content based on the User Agent. When I changed my User Agent to "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.9; rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/25.0" I got the Mime Type error message being mentioned here. I use this Agent switcher: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -switcher/

When I go back to my normal user agent, I get the Flash Based content.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

It works on an iPod, which does not use plugins, so it must send HTML5 if it needs to do that.
cvx149

Post by cvx149 »

Mo_D wrote:Look at the Flip4Mac panel in your system preferences. I just installed it, and it shows version 3.2.0.16 there, but the media plugin in FF is listed as 3.1.0.1 and is listed as being up to date.

Same here, I mentioned that in an earlier post. I even manually disabled the F4M add in but it still shows as 3.1.0.1, not the new version I tried to install.

MarkRH wrote:Yeah, It serves different content based on the User Agent. When I changed my User Agent to "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.9; rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/25.0" I got the Mime Type error message being mentioned here. I use this Agent switcher: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -switcher/

Thanks Mark, got the agent switcher add on and it works when i switch to another user agent.
Mo_D

Post by Mo_D »

cvx149 wrote:
Mo_D wrote:Look at the Flip4Mac panel in your system preferences. I just installed it, and it shows version 3.2.0.16 there, but the media plugin in FF is listed as 3.1.0.1 and is listed as being up to date.

Same here, I mentioned that in an earlier post. I even manually disabled the F4M add in but it still shows as 3.1.0.1, not the new version I tried to install.

I assume the app and the plugin are considered two different things, therefore the two different version numbers?
Mo_D

Post by Mo_D »

cvx149 wrote:
MarkRH wrote:Yeah, It serves different content based on the User Agent. When I changed my User Agent to "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.9; rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/25.0" I got the Mime Type error message being mentioned here. I use this Agent switcher: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -switcher/

Thanks Mark, got the agent switcher add on and it works when i switch to another user agent.

Yeah, that's nice tool to have, especially after adding all the user agents from his site.

Safari has the user agent switch if you have the Developer thing. I tried viewing the stream through it using the FF user agent, but it still played, so I dunno. Anyway, who cares? Problem solved and a cool extension gained!
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Fantastic find. It works when I use this UA string "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1)". I will have to try it on some other sites that say I don't have a plug-in.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
cvx149

Post by cvx149 »

Mo_D wrote: I assume the app and the plugin are considered two different things, therefore the two different version numbers?

Yes, the app and the plugin are two different things with two different version/release numbers. The Flip Player app is version 3.2.1 while the Flip4Mac plugin is version 3.2.0.16. But like i said, never mind that I go through the install process for Flip4Mac, it still shows in my plugin list as the old version updated March 2013.

It is good to have that change agent add on, but it still bugs me that everything worked fine until the Maverick upgrade, and it still works fine with Safari and Chrome. And its not like its a critical app or something, I just like watching the action on Duval Street.. wishing I was there!

FWIW, I also opened a question in the Mozilla FF support forum and got a pretty quick response but no resolution yet. They are asking me to do all the stuff I have already done. I pointed them to this thread as well.
Mo_D

Post by Mo_D »

It's got me confused. It's a Microsoft product for Mac, so I'm not real surprised.

Here's where I downloaded mine from http://www.telestream.net/telestream-su ... ks_Support

It offers a 3.2.0.16 DMG from March and then says if prompted, download 3.2.1 DMG.

I installed 3.2.0 and then (without being prompted) installed 3.2.1 When installing, I got a warning that a newer version was already installed. I went ahead anyway. The creation date on it is 10/4/13. That all makes no sense to me. And the plugin is still 3.1.0.1 from March.

If you click "check to see if plugins are up to date" at the top of the about:add-ons page, it shows it as being up to date.

Opera shows the plugin as being 3.2.0.16 Safari does not show a version number.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

What has Flip4Mac got to do with Flash? If I fake my user-agent as IE on Windows, I get the cam feed as Flash with no problem. If I fake Chrome on Mac OS 10.8, I get a Flash feed with no problem. It works with fake Konqueror 4.4.3 on Kubuntu. It even works with a fake Iceweasel on Linux user-agent. If I use my real user-agent with SeaMonkey I get an error message saying the MIME type is not supported. With Firefox 24.1.1esr, with a fake, I get the feed for a few seconds, then it stops to do buffering, then resumes, etc. Without a fake, I get only the error message. What have they got against Firefox and SeaMonkey?
Mo_D

Post by Mo_D »

Anonymosity wrote:What has Flip4Mac got to do with Flash?

Nothing that I know of. The only reason Flip4Mac came up is because the Support page for that Duval Street website recommends it for viewing the video. I think their Support page is out of date or just wrong. They also recommend Firefox.

After that, the thread got a little jacked with the discussion about Flip4Mac version numbers.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Locking since OP's original issue is solved by faking the user agent. Also, seems like the site needs to update its code to deliver Flash for FF on Mac.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6