[Ext] Cookie Controller, now with DOM storage

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
gggirlgeek

Re: [Ext] Cookie Controller, now with DOM storage

Post by gggirlgeek »

Hi. Thanks for the great addon.

Can you please explain exactly what the toggle states do when they are checked vs. unchecked -- particularly the "3rd party cookies" and "Session only" buttons. When I'm in the OFF state, checking them makes no difference (after I click the Perm button.)

Thanks
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

gggirlgeek wrote:Can you please explain exactly what the toggle states do when they are checked vs. unchecked -- particularly the "3rd party cookies" and "Session only" buttons. When I'm in the OFF state, checking them makes no difference (after I click the Perm button.)

The "session only" setting on the Toggle button controls whether cookies can be set that would persist after Firefox is closed. If it is checked then all cookies that are set will be configured to expire when Firefox is closed. If it is unchecked then cookies will expire at the time specified by the website, which may be at the end of the session or at an explicit date and time. Sites that have their own permissions set from the Perm button are not affected by this and so changing it or pressing the Toggle button will make no difference to those sites. The Perm button will always tell you whether the current page can set cookies only for the session, whether that is because of the global Toggle button permissions or because of an exception for this particular domain.

The "3rd party cookies" setting controls whether a page can set (or read) cookies that have a different domain from the page itself. These are typically tracking cookies, but can occasionally be for useful functions such as syndicated logins where a single cookie provides logins for a number of different web sites. This setting *does* affect sites that have their own exception permissions set by the Perm button since it affects cookies not from the site of the page itself. However, I notice that this is not reflected in the Perm button tooltip. Even though third party permissions are not set on a site-by-site basis (currently, maybe one day they will be), I'll see if it practical to describe them in the perm tooltip. It will be described by the Toggle tooltip which gives the global cookie permissions including third party cookies.

Another reason why changing those settings will make no difference in the Off state is that you have "Deny all cookies" checked. That is the default and it means what it says: all cookies blocked, first party, third party, and anything else. Fiddling with other settings won't make any difference. The Toggle tooltip will make this clear by simply saying "Cookies denied" and "DOM storage denied".
DanloRingess

Post by DanloRingess »

This may have already been asked, but I can't seem to find it... I would like to have Firefox ask if I would like to accept cookies for visited sites once per site. If I agree, I want the site added to the whitelist. If I deny, it should be on the blacklist. Right now, the best I can seem to manage is to be asked for every individual cookie instead of the site being whitelisted if I accept. Is there any way to do what I want? If so, what combination of settings in Firefox and Cookie Controller will do this?

Thanks
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

Doesn't Keep until: ask me every time offer that option anymore?
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Yes, Cookie Controller still has that option, and yes the ask dialog includes an option to create a permanent black/white list entry for that site. Cookie Controller itself does not have a setting to automatically black list or whitelist from the ask dialog, but your choice for that setting should be remembered each time the dialog appears so you don't have to click it every time.

You can set the ask option from Cookie Controller for either the on state or off state (the off settings must be more restrictive than the on settings). The option is available from the tools menu or from the toggle button context menu (or directly from about:config although not recommended). Note that if session-only is also selected from Cookie Controller, you will only be asked about persistent cookies, while session cookies will always be allowed. The tooltip will describe this situation. Also note that any per-site exception will override the global settings and that there is no exception type to ask about each cookie.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Firefox is pretty awful about clearing out expired cookies, other than session cookies. A query on my work-a-day Firefox showed that approximately a quarter of the cookies were expired going back nearly a year, yet still in the cookie database and still visible in the Firefox cookie dialog.

There is a bug for this, but I've lost hope that it will ever be fixed so I've added a check into Cookie Controller 3.3 to get rid of any expired cookies it comes across. It should be invisible to users, it only runs during idle time, but it should fairly reliably clear out cookies within a few hours of them expiring and provide more accurate cookie counts.
Ranger2000

Post by Ranger2000 »

The proposal from @lithopsian is very good.
The feature to delete expired cookies has been found in the Add-on
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/a ... okie-time/
greatlord

Post by greatlord »

is there any way to make a setting of 1st party only, discarded at the end of session, DOM storage sandboxed while defaulting to toggle off? the only way I can get that setting is if I default to toggle on, which of course allows cookies on sites i don't trust.
BarbieBarb

Post by BarbieBarb »

Thankyou for Cookie Controller.

Earlier versions of Cookie Controller permitted the leftclick of icon to the blue checkmark icon, with 3 leftclicks,
which permits 3rd party cookies,
"Cookies allowed for this session for thiswebsite.com".

Now it will not. It will only allow 1st party cookies. But twitter must have 3rd party cookies to be able to open tweets on the same page. Some other sites must have 3rd party cookies to access their features too.

Now I only get these two choices when leftclick the icon.

Could we please have this combo back please?
Last edited by BarbieBarb on March 26th, 2014, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diamanti

Post by Diamanti »

I have this error in console with FF 29b:

Code: Select all

Timestamp: 23/03/2014 12.45.10
Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [mozIStoragePendingStatement.cancel]"  nsresult: "0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://cookiecontroller/content/cookieController.jsm :: cookieControllerModule.trackCookies :: line 219"  data: no]
Source File: chrome://cookiecontroller/content/cookieController.jsm
Line: 219
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Just got back and found two interesting messages here :)

Barbiegirl,
You can still have your blue checkmark. The choice you don't want (allow only as a first party) has been learned as the default on your machine as the most frequently chosen. It starts out as the default on first install and will stay that way unless you prefer something different.

To choose a different setting, right click the icon to get a menu showing all possibilities. Then select the one you want, for example "allow for this session". If you make that choice often enough it will become the default and be selected with a simple left click (or two ... or three). If you are desperate for this to be the default right now, I can show you how to change some preferences in about:config to make it that way.

If you don't like right clicking, there is now a menubutton available from the customise palette so you can get the menu with a left click.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Thanks for spotting that message Diamanti. That is a fairly rare situation, but needs to be fixed or cookie states will get out of sync. Expect a new release in a few days.

I find this very difficult to reproduce. If you have a reliable way to make it happen, I would be more confident that I've fixed it.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

tim712 wrote:is there any way to make a setting of 1st party only, discarded at the end of session, DOM storage sandboxed while defaulting to toggle off? the only way I can get that setting is if I default to toggle on, which of course allows cookies on sites i don't trust.

The off states must be more restrictive than the on states. To have toggle off the way you want, you must set toggle on to a less restrictive condition (try unchecking session only, expiration days, and ask for the on options). Otherwise the relevant options will be greyed out as you've probably seen. You may find it easier to do this from the Firefox tools menu where you can see both sets of options at the same time. Then just force off at startup and I think that's what you want.

Oh, one last gotcha. Deny overrides everything so make sure it is turned off ;)
phkhgh

Post by phkhgh »

Seems like a really nice addon. Six icons on toolbar - at all times? No option to combine them in some menu?
Unless I bring back the addon bar or use bookmarks bar for my addon icons, there's no room.

Even if there is room, don't know that I want to sort through all those. If every other addon had 6 icons, it might take a few toolbars for them all.
Another option might be like Quick Java uses - they have one "favorites" icon, which can hold up to all 9 individual icons, under one button w/ a drop menu.

Thanks.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Six icons on the toolbar if you added six icons to the toolbar. I can't see any reason to do that, but if you insist I'm not going to stop you. Three of them are just the same as the other three but with the menu on a dropdown arrow instead of needing a right click. I also suggest that most people won't want the tidy button, but that's entirely up to you.

Anyway there are three icons because there are three sets of information to be displayed. One shows the global cookie permissions settings, one shows the permissions that apply to the current page, and one shows the cookies that the current page has already stored. All the information is available elsewhere if you don't need it permanently visible on a button, then you won't need that button.

There are so many options for where to put the buttons, or not to put them anywhere, or to let them flow onto the Firefox dropdown panel if you don't want them taking up space, and third party addons that let you put them in weird places like separate dropdowns, that it just isn't funny. Short answer, this isn't going to change, sorry.