How to switch back to old download manager

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
bchan

How to switch back to old download manager

Post by bchan »

Previously I set browser.download.useToolkitUI to true in about:config and had been using the old download manager. After upgrading to the latest version of firefox I get the new download manager; the setting does not seem to work. How do I get back the old download manager? Thanks.
Night Wing

Re: How to switch back to old download manager

Post by Night Wing »

The code for the old download manager was removed in Firefox 26.0 and you can't get it back unless someone makes an addon for it.

The old download manager still works in the ESR (extended support release) version of Firefox (24.2.0) which is the equivalent of version 26.0 "security wise". It's what I use when I use Firefox in Windows 7 since Firefox is my backup browser in Windows.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/or ... s/all.html

I haven't upgraded to Firefox 26.0 in Linux Mint since the old download manager still works in version 25.0.1 in Linux Mint.
vraniki

Post by vraniki »

Night Wing wrote:The code for the old download manager was removed in Firefox 26.0 and you can't get it back unless someone makes an addon for it.

The old download manager still works in the ESR (extended support release) version of Firefox (24.2.0) which is the equivalent of version 26.0 "security wise". It's what I use when I use Firefox in Windows 7 since Firefox is my backup browser in Windows.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/or ... s/all.html

I haven't upgraded to Firefox 26.0 in Linux Mint since the old download manager still works in version 25.0.1 in Linux Mint.

we cant use addons for everything. I dont know why mozilla has disabled it. so what ?
Night Wing

Post by Night Wing »

vraniki wrote:we cant use addons for everything. I dont know why mozilla has disabled it.

From reading some of the FF developers comments on their blogs, one underlying issue which keeps cropping up many times, they repeatedly use the comment of...."it makes their jobs easier".
wdc2

Post by wdc2 »

no wonder why chrome is getting bigger while firefox keeps shrinking, new features are BS, I'll go back to version 25.0.1 for good and probably start testing other browsers. firefox developers can kiss my a..
Denise51

Post by Denise51 »

I hate the new downloads box, updated to version 26 and have lost it. This is bad news. I want to see the download speed at least incorporate this in the new downloads manager.

How do I go back to previous firefox.
wdc2

Post by wdc2 »

Denise51 wrote:I hate the new downloads box, updated to version 26 and have lost it. This is bad news. I want to see the download speed at least incorporate this in the new downloads manager.

How do I go back to previous firefox.

here you can download a copy of the last good version of firefox: 25.0.1 http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... 0.1/win32/

I've replaced 26 with 25.0.1 and now everything is fine. Firefox developers must work for google chrome I think.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Denise51 wrote:How do I go back to previous firefox.

Simple. You just install it and accept the security consequences. But please stay off the Internet, as all security vulnerabilities are made know to the world's cybercriminals as they are fixed, and you will become a hazard to the security of the Internet and the community.

Or you can just use a current browser (we don't care which one) and be done with it.
Denise51

Post by Denise51 »

VanillaMozilla wrote:
Denise51 wrote:How do I go back to previous firefox.

Simple. You just install it and accept the security consequences. But please stay off the Internet, as all security vulnerabilities are made know to the world's cybercriminals as they are fixed, and you will become a hazard to the security of the Internet and the community.

Or you can just use a current browser (we don't care which one) and be done with it.

You are not very nice, rude is the word
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Well, I'm sorry, Denise, I really don't want you to use insecure software on the Internet -- especially for some trivial little thing that you don't like about the interface. And it's for your own sake as well as ours. Get used to it. All programs are going to change from time to time, and there's almost nothing you can do about it unless you want to take chances.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

But my special ire is directed at wdc2, who should not be coming here telling people to revert permanently to a previous version.
Denise51

Post by Denise51 »

ok Fair comment Vanilla, was there any reason to omit the download speed, as I didnt see that as the box was small.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

I don't know, Denise. They're always changing the interface and the underlying code. Perhaps since they started from scratch, they figured most people didn't need it, and it was easier to omit it. To be honest, it's very difficult for us users to have any control over the interface. You can try extensions, but if built-in customization doesn't work, it's almost always easier, and a good bit more reliable, to just go along with it. Sorry.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

VanillaMozilla wrote:But my special ire is directed at wdc2, who should not be coming here telling people to revert permanently to a previous version.

Totally agree! ](*,) [-X

And, I'm not sure why people just don't use an external downloader...(if they don't like what they have) ... that was specifically built to manage downloading... this one shows download speeds "and" also breaks up the downloads into multi-channels for faster downloading ... and, it's FREE!

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
AnotherLife

Post by AnotherLife »

dfoulkes wrote:
VanillaMozilla wrote:But my special ire is directed at wdc2, who should not be coming here telling people to revert permanently to a previous version.

Totally agree! ](*,) [-X

And, I'm not sure why people just don't use an external downloader...(if they don't like what they have) ... that was specifically built to manage downloading... this one shows download speeds "and" also breaks up the downloads into multi-channels for faster downloading ... and, it's FREE!

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

What the hell, I can't even find a screenshot of the program on its official page ?!?