How do I get the old Download Window back?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
TigerClaw

How do I get the old Download Window back?

Post by TigerClaw »

I'm currently using Firefox 26.0 and it just replaced the download window with one embedded on the top of the browser, How do I get the old Download window back? I tried the about:config and browser.download.useToolkitUI but it's already set to True, And its still not showing.
TheVisitor

Re: How do I get the old Download Window back?

Post by TheVisitor »

Guess you didn't look too hard to see if this was already an issue ?

See here: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2782313
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

TigerClaw wrote:I'm currently using Firefox 26.0 and it just replaced the download window with one embedded on the top of the browser

No it didn't. Have a read of this - viewtopic.php?p=13246853#p13246853

Now, this new system may/may not be as good as the old Download Window, but, er, that's tough, the devs removed the code for it and it's gone.

It's possible (major job) that someone, one day, will make an extension to do this, but don't hold your breath.

Incidentally, because people keep getting confused, this is a totally different subject to download status type extensions that people have been 'discussing', in a 'rushing about like a man with his hair on fire' type way.

TigerClaw wrote:I'm currently using Firefox 26.0 and it just replaced the download window with...

...this -

Yours will not be styled the same, but it will have the same layout and features and is not actually a million miles away from the old Downloads Window.
Last edited by Frank Lion on December 12th, 2013, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
TigerClaw

Post by TigerClaw »

Frank Lion wrote:
TigerClaw wrote:I'm currently using Firefox 26.0 and it just replaced the download window with one embedded on the top of the browser

No it didn't. Have a read of this - viewtopic.php?p=13246853#p13246853

Now, this new system may/may not be as good as the old Download Window, but, er, that's tough, the devs removed the code for it and it's gone.

It's possible (major job) that someone, one day, will make an extension to do this, but don't hold your breath.

Incidentally, because people keep getting confused, this is a totally different subject to download status type extensions that people have been 'discussing', in a 'rushing about like a man with his hair on fire' type way.

I rather prefer that the old Download Window is back, It makes it easier to track downloads as they go.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

TigerClaw wrote:I rather prefer that the old Download Window is back, It makes it easier to track downloads as they go.

Maybe so, but as I wrote, it has now gone from the Firefox code.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
TigerClaw

Post by TigerClaw »

Frank Lion wrote:
TigerClaw wrote:I rather prefer that the old Download Window is back, It makes it easier to track downloads as they go.

Someone is going to have to make an Addon that gives us a download manager. For the time being, I'm gonna have to use Get Right for the time being.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

TigerClaw wrote:
Frank Lion wrote:

Someone is going to have to make an Addon that gives us a download manager. For the time being, I'm gonna have to use Get Right for the time being.

Nobody HAS to anything. I want my old stick-shift, 3speed on the column and the dimmer switch on the floor.. but all things pass, so will this 'minor inconvenience'. As pointed out above, a Ctrl+J will open the Download Library and give you all the info you have with the old manager.
TigerClaw

Post by TigerClaw »

Frank Lion wrote:Nobody HAS to anything. I want my old stick-shift, 3speed on the column and the dimmer switch on the floor.. but all things pass, so will this 'minor inconvenience'. As pointed out above, a Ctrl+J will open the Download Library and give you all the info you have with the old manager.

I'm a believer of "If it ain't broke, Don't fix it." So I'm used to how things were.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

TheVisitor wrote:... As pointed out above, a Ctrl+J will open the Download Library and give you all the info you have with the old manager.

You know, perhaps someone can clear up for me what was so damn fascinating feature wise about the old Downloads Window? I mean, anyone that into downloading stuff would be torrenting and using a torrent client (program).

As far as I can see, this new Download Library does the same as the old Download window, apart from hiding the Pause/Resume by having to right click on the download (hidden things are never a great idea). But, apart from that, what am I missing here?

Frank Lion wrote:
TigerClaw wrote:
Frank Lion wrote:Nobody HAS to a

I'm a believer of "If it ain't broke, Don't fix it." So I'm used to how things were.

Not the end of the world, but I didn't write that, The Visitor did. ;)
Last edited by Frank Lion on December 12th, 2013, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TigerClaw

Post by TigerClaw »

It only allows 3 quotes.
TigerClaw

Post by TigerClaw »

Frank Lion wrote:
TheVisitor wrote:... As pointed out above, a Ctrl+J will open the Download Library and give you all the info you have with the old manager.

You know, perhaps someone can clear up for me what was so damn fascinating feature wise about the old Downloads Window? I mean, anyone that into downloading stuff would be torrenting and using a torrent client (program).

As far as I can see, this new Download Library does the same as the old Download window, apart from hiding the Pause/Resume by having to right click on the download (hidden things are never a great idea). But, apart from that, what am I missing here?

I'm used to having it as a small seperate window that I move to the side to watch the progress of a download while browsing other stuff.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

TigerClaw wrote:It only allows 3 quotes.

Again, maybe so, but quoting the right person is pretty important to get right on a forum.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

TigerClaw wrote:I'm used to having it as a small seperate window that I move to the side to watch the progress of a download while browsing other stuff.

What? You mean a small separate window that you move to the side to watch the progress of a download while browsing other stuff, like this? -

http://franklion.co.uk/GEN-LINKS/Sn0588.png

I'm trying to help you guys, but you're not (and it's not just you) even trying to help yourselves and look at what's there. That's my lot, go complain to Mozilla about it, I'm outta here.

This is who we are - http://www.mozillazine.org/about/
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

TigerClaw wrote:Someone is going to have to make an Addon that gives us a download manager.

Er, get this through your ***** head, no one HAS to GIVE you a download manager.
Want one ? Then code it yourself and submit to AMO, then, IF they accept it you can try and keep up with Fx rapid releases, plan on giving up your day job for little or no reward.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
TigerClaw

Post by TigerClaw »

Frank Lion wrote:
TigerClaw wrote:I'm used to having it as a small seperate window that I move to the side to watch the progress of a download while browsing other stuff.

What? You mean a small separate window that you move to the side to watch the progress of a download while browsing other stuff, like this? -

http://franklion.co.uk/GEN-LINKS/Sn0588.png

I'm trying to help you guys, but you're not (and it's not just you) even trying to help yourselves and look at what's there. That's my lot, go complain to Mozilla about it, I'm outta here.

This is who we are - http://www.mozillazine.org/about/

Its too big for my taste actually, I'm used to it being rather small.