Download manager in Firefox 26-- Please post here.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
LoudNoise

Download manager in Firefox 26-- Please post here.

Post by LoudNoise »

There have been a number of topics started about the current Download Manager (or lack there of). Ideally, we can keep everything in one thread.

The following are various suggestions already offered. If you think that I should add something else please PM me,

This will remain civil and purely for support.

Using the current Download Manager

How to use the Download manager (courtesy of Frank Lion)

Frank Lion wrote:
VanillaMozilla wrote:Or just click on the arrow. You know, it does show you the download size, how much remains, and how much time remains. If you really, really need the speed, you can calculate it from that.

I might be wrong here, but I'm getting the impression from reading various threads that many people who don't follow Firefox closely think that Download toolbar button is it. As in, the old Download Manager has gone and been replaced by just that. It isn't.

Firefox now has a 3 part Download Manager -

#1. The Download toolbar button - gives you a quick indication at the download progress of active downloads.
#2. The 'popup' notification that appears when you click the button - shows more details of the last 3 downloads,
#3. 'Show All Downloads' at the bottom of the popup - shows the Download Library and gives a lot of details on all your downloads, especially the active ones. Right clicking on these gives you more choices. Go straight there at any time by just pressing Ctrl + J.

Another way to get to the Download manager (courtesy of Zoolcar9)

Zoolcar9 wrote:Type 'about:downloads' in URL bar and press Enter.
It shows the Download Manager in tab.

Extensions
:
* Download Status Bar viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2782661

Download Windows https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ds-window/

Download Panel Tweaks https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... el-tweaks/

* Download Manager Tweak https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ger-tweak/

* - Has a support thread here in Extension/Theme Releases[

Finally, you can send feeback directly to Mozilla by clicking on Help->Submit Feedback. Please be clear, concise and polite.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Caspid

Re: Download manager in Firefox 26-- Please post here.

Post by Caspid »

They should incorporate Download Statusbar functionality into the main program.
Last edited by Caspid on December 12th, 2013, 10:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." -Calvin
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

This won't happen. That was a bug llikely filed by you in the last few hours.

This will not be turned into an advocacy thread since it is in support. if you want to start an advocacy thread in Fx General go ahead. However, you need to find a real bug covering the problem.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Caspid

Post by Caspid »

oh, okay; my bad. I thought this thread was a replacement of the last one.

The fact that there needs to be a support topic and explicit instructions on how to use the new download manager says a lot.
"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." -Calvin
Negativeions

Post by Negativeions »

I don't see anything wrong with the current download "manager"/window whatever you call it, per se. I like clicking on the download icon and seeing the downloads in a pulldown menu or whatever you call it and like how it shows the progress on the icon. The issue is, it only shows the last 3. It should show as much as can fit on the computer screen and/or allow that # to be customized in the settings and it should show the speed of the download. Are these bugs? Can these be added with an add-on? I don't know... but mozilla really needs to get it's head out of it's ass and do something about this. A while ago a mozdev wrote that it's not a priority to spend resources on such a thing. First of all, if they had any brains they would have done it right in the first place. Second, these 2 changes seem like such stupid easy things to implement. What resources? A couple hours of your time? Please, gimme a break. It's been a while now and still not fixed in version 26. Seems like a joke if you ask me. Isn't there anyone out there with programming expertise that can fix this?? I read in the other thread that the code is there to fix it in the bug report or something. All it needs is for someone to implement it and compile it. Right?
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

One thing I just noticed about files downloaded now, at least in Windows 7 Pro 64bit w/ UAC enabled, that the files are saved without inheriting permissions from the parent's object. I did have Download Status Bar running before and maybe it was adding that flag, not sure. Anyway, one of the visible side-effects of this is that the file's icon has a padlock on it because the security tab only lists "System, My username, and Administrators". A file saved with FF25 2 days ago in the same location was inheriting permissions from the parent object and had "Authenticated Users, SYSTEM, My username, Administrators, and Users" listed in the security tab with no padlock.

No big deal since I can use and access the files fine but it does seem to point to a change in behavior.

Edit: just found this thread concerning the issue: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2773631
Denise51

Post by Denise51 »

I still would prefer to see the download speed on the progress of a download.
flaneurb

Post by flaneurb »

Denise51 wrote:I still would prefer to see the download speed on the progress of a download.
See viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2782661
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

flaneurb wrote:
Denise51 wrote:I still would prefer to see the download speed on the progress of a download.

You don't even need that. The download speed of an active download/s is already displayed on the actual download (below the progressmeter) in the Download Library (Ctrl + J)

You didn't really read what I had written before, did you?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Denise51

Post by Denise51 »

Frank Lion wrote:
flaneurb wrote:

You don't even need that. The download speed of an active download/s is already displayed on the actual download (below the progressmeter) in the Download Library (Ctrl + J)

You didn't really read what I had written before, did you?

Found it now thanks.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Negativeions wrote:I like clicking on the download icon and seeing the downloads in a pulldown menu or whatever you call it and like how it shows the progress on the icon. The issue is, it only shows the last 3. It should show as much as can fit on the computer screen and/or allow that # to be customized in the settings and it should show the speed of the download.

In theory, it's called a 'Downloads Panel'. Bizarrely, it does already show the speed of the download. You see below the progressmeter where the time and amount downloaded details are? *sigh* Hover the mouse over that and the download speed is in the tooltip that appears! It's no good to anyone like that as tooltips do a 'snapshot' of info.

However, my guess is that they cropped the download details in that panel and it will be pretty easy to get them to display with a very simple extension. That 'only last 3 downloads showing' stuff can be easily changed as well. Give it a few days and someone is bound to write that.

LoudNoise wrote:Am extension (note that this is a work in progress):
Download Status Bar viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2782661

One day, that'll be a great extension and I wish the guy well. At the moment, it is 'early days'

However, if you're going to have a toolbar at the bottom of your browser anyway (a 'good thing', I reckon) then I would suggest this - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... us-4-evar/ which does loads of useful things....make sure you go to the 'Options' of that extension and turn off the bits you don't want and turn on (like all the Download text stuff and open straight into 'Library', etc) and when you've done, you can put the Firefox default Download button back into Customize window, i.e. hide it.

Denise51 wrote:Found it now thanks.

No problem. :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Daikun

Post by Daikun »

Is there a way to have the window open automatically so I don't have to hit Ctrl+J every time I start downloading something?
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

Daikun wrote:Is there a way to have the window open automatically so I don't have to hit Ctrl+J every time I start downloading something?
I guess you mean the "download panel", right?
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
Daikun

Post by Daikun »

JoeG wrote:
Daikun wrote:Is there a way to have the window open automatically so I don't have to hit Ctrl+J every time I start downloading something?

Window, panel, whatever. What else is Ctrl+J used for?
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

Daikun wrote:
JoeG wrote:
Window, panel, whatever. What else is Ctrl+J used for?
Gotcha. Your question is what this whole issue is about: namely, there's no way to get the built-in downloads panel, window, whatever you wanna call it, to open automatically.

I've got the (wonderful) Status-4-Evar extension, but it doesn't appear to offer any option to open the "whatever" automatically either.

As far as I understand, the only tool now available to get a good view of downloads without clicking anything of hitting Ctrl+J is the new extension Download Status Bar. I'm using it, and it's really quite nice. I'd say the author has done a real service for Fx - and for us. My thanks to Szalgiris.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.