Will be Thunderbird 1.0.2 available in .zip package ??

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
satyr

Will be Thunderbird 1.0.2 available in .zip package ??

Post by satyr »

The topic title says it all ...

I am interested if Thunderbird 1.0.2 build will be available also in .zip package same as previous releases ??

Honestly, Thunderbird (and Firefox) being available in its .zip variants is one of the main reasons why I like and use Thunderbird. So it would be really sad if it wouldn't be available in .zip packages anymore.

Thanks for any reply, satyr
If you want to, please check out my site: tadej-ivan.50webs.com, and enjoy reading my computing-related discoveries, hints, principles, and rules.
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

See Asa's last comment on this page. Last for now at least.

I'm very disappointed with this decision. Uninstall current build>install new release>ooops something's not right in this one for me>uninstall new release>reinstall previous build>as if!

It's still very easy for something to break when releasing a new build. That's the whole point of being able to use zip builds. To easily delete and go back to previous build within the same window and be on your way again.
StoneCold

Post by StoneCold »

I'm disappointed with this decision too. There are also a lot of installer bugs. Its a mess to install Firefox/Thunderbird to a custom folder.

I guess many others disagree with this decision too. I hope there will be some official words, why they get rid of the zip builds.
Äkiidoll

Post by Äkiidoll »

No .zip builds? Im staying with 1.0 Thunderbird then.
No .zips for Firefox? Ill stay with 1.0.1 then, tired of
installers...Hugs my .zip Mozilla 1.7.6, complete
with email.
A prisoner of Christ Jesus, by His stripes I was healed
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

I'll add my ditto to CaetckGurl 's post.

This decision is a bad thing, and I will not re-build my registry every time a Mozilla installer screws it up! Which is every time I have used an installer, and that was only once, and more than enough for me.

Being stuck with nightly zip builds that may or may not work just plain sucks!

Pull your heads out Mozilla dev's. Have you completely forgotten those of us that helped get you to this point?
I thought you were looking towards all of the audience, instead of just the MS users.

EDIT: Firefox aviary nightly zip build stopped at 14-mar-05
The trunk still has zip builds, but these are the ones that can cause some serious hurt from time to time.

Looks like the Thunderbird nightlies have zip builds up to today ( 22-Mar-05 )

The 1.0.2 builds in my signature are nightly aviary builds.
Last edited by couldabeen on March 22nd, 2005, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

This decision also puts a serious hurt on Portable Firefox, Portable Thunderbird, et al. I use the ZIP builds to create the portable versions. While I'll probably be able to hack it together from an install, I can pretty much say now that this will kill off the localization I had planned for Portable Thunderbird 1.0.2 and Portable Firefox 1.0.2. My first notification that zip builds were being killed off was when I ran across it in the comments of a mozillaZine story 5 minutes ago.
Take your browser, email, office suite, instant messenger, image editor and more with you...
Get portable versions of Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice.org, Pidgin, GIMP and more at PortableApps.com
satyr

Post by satyr »

Oh guys I must say - really sad sad news ...

Ehm, I am obsessed with "non-setups", but at least I see that I am not alone in noticing and heh - "complaining" about it.

cheers all, shirker
If you want to, please check out my site: tadej-ivan.50webs.com, and enjoy reading my computing-related discoveries, hints, principles, and rules.
Magus

Post by Magus »

Uninstall current build>install new release>ooops something's not right in this one for me>uninstall new release>reinstall previous build>as if!

Why would you do that?

Install new build -> oops, something's not right -> install old build.

Wow, so hard.
For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.
satyr

Post by satyr »

Magus wrote:
Uninstall current build>install new release>ooops something's not right in this one for me>uninstall new release>reinstall previous build>as if!

Why would you do that?

Install new build -> oops, something's not right -> install old build.

Wow, so hard.

Hey Magus, nice to meet you here, lol ...

I suppose you mean to install it over the old one that's still installed (i.e., without un-installation), ahhh, I know what you mean - registry keys/entries/values just get overwritten, right ??

satyr (a.k.a shirker)
Last edited by satyr on March 23rd, 2005, 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
jemm

Post by jemm »

Droping zip builds is a major mistake.

Having FF and TB zip-builds and the ease of creation and deployment of preconfigured coroprate installations from them was one of the major reasons why we company-wide switched to FF as default browser.

More <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=45884">here</a> on this preconfiguration and deployment.
wintogreen

Post by wintogreen »

I sometimes run Thunderbird from a USB stick (which became possible when "profile portability" was introduced in version 0.7), and for this it makes a whole lot more sense to install from a zip build instead of the using the installer. I hope this decision will be reconsidered -- not just for 1.02 but for all future versions.
mkmelin

Post by mkmelin »

Chase blogged about why they were dropped, http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/chase/ar ... why_t.html

Still, sounds like a bad move:(
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

wth no zips? only way I can use FX and TB at school and work is with zips. Along with all my other classmates and co-workers which equal over 100. Really stupid move
JanT

Post by JanT »

Perhaps you can take a nightly of the same version and date.
The release is Version 1.0.2 (20050317)
After installation, the files have the date 17-03-2005 12:20:00
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

mkmelin wrote:Chase blogged about why they were dropped, http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/chase/ar ... why_t.html

If you're a Mozilla developer and love the .zip files, rest assured they aren't going away completely. While we won't issue the .zip package with the rest of the major release files, we will still issue these packages in their standard nightly form.

That's good to see. :)