IMPORTING FROM NETSCAPE 7.2 WITHOUT N7.2 INSTALLED

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
SW10

IMPORTING FROM NETSCAPE 7.2 WITHOUT N7.2 INSTALLED

Post by SW10 »

I have a new laptop with Win8 or WIn8.1. In my previous desktop, my Netscape 7.2 profile (created from "Profile Manger") had all of my email, address books, etc. entirely on an external 1 (one) Terabyte hard drive. I am not sure if my new laptop will load Netscape 7.2. because of the Win8 or Win8.1 operating system.
QUESTIONS:

1. Can I install Thunderbird and then ask Thunderbird to IMPORT everything (password, all email, all address books, etc.) WITHOUT having to install Netscape 7.2 (since all email and address books are on an external USB one Terabyte hard drive)?

2. In the IMPORT windows which open for IMPORTING, WHICH selection do I chose to import everything (password, all email, all address books, etc.)? Example I have seen shows "Outlook", Eudora, etc. but does NOT show NETSCAPE OR NETSCAPE 7.2 as source from which to find password, all email, all address books, etc.

3, Is there any Netscape7.2 information on the internal Hard Drive that Thunderbird needs to import password, all email, all address books, etc.? Reason is that the Internal hard drive "crashed" and is not working.

4. IS ALL OF THE NEEDED INFORMATION TO IMPORT PASSWORDS, ALL EMAIL, ALL ADDRESS BOOKS, ETC. ON THE USB TERABYE DRIVE--WHERE I HAVE THE "PROFILE" THAT I CONSTANTLY USED. I have experience before when Netscape 7.2 was becoming "corrupted" and learned (via this forum) that I could just "Delete" Netscape 7.2, then re-install it and Netscape 7.2 would find the "Profile" that I was using. My worries are two: (1) if I cannot install Netscape 7.2 (with Terabyte drive attached) to NEW LAPTOP ....AND....(2) my hard drive does not work......that there might be some information that was on the internal hard drive that Thunderbird needs.

5. HOW DO I MANUALLY MOVE EMAIL, ADDRESS BOOKS, PASSWORDS, ETC. IF HARD DRIVE NOT WORKING AND NEW LAPTOP WILL NOT LOAD NETSCAPE (WHILE TERABYTE DRIVE CONNECTED TO NEW LAPTOP)? lf Thunderbird needs ANY info from the internal hard drive--even though the ENTIRE "PROFILE" was created on the external USB Terabyte drive--what is the procedure to install Thunderbird on my new laptop and then "copy" email and address books from the Terabyte drive? If this can be done,is there another file that also must be copied from the Netscape file tree?

MANY, MANY, MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE AS ALWAYS.
tanstaafl

Re: IMPORTING FROM NETSCAPE 7.2 WITHOUT N7.2 INSTALLED

Post by tanstaafl »

The import wizard requires you to have the Netscape installed.

The simplest and quickest scheme would be to export the address book as .csv files in Netscape and then import them in Thunderbird using tools -> import -> address books -> text files, and then install the ImportExportTools add-on in Thunderbird and use it to import the mbox files that store the messages for each folder (they're named after the folder, but have no file extension. For example "inbox." is the mbox file for the inbox folder). Later on when prompted for the password (when checking for new mail) check the checkbox to also have the password manager save it.

You need to click on the gear like icon in the upper right corner in tools -> add-ons -> extension and select "install add-on from file" to install the add-on (after downloading it).

If you want to import more of your Netscape profile see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrate_from_ ... hunderbird

Since you're a new user you might find http://kb.mozillazine.org/Getting_start ... hunderbird useful.
SW10

Post by SW10 »

Is it possible to just install Thunderbird AS "NEW" without doing any IMPORTING, then "drop and drag" my Netscape email and address books files under the Profile that is created? Understand that a newly installed THunderbird will have the minimum structure. But would "dropping and dragging" the Netscape 7.2 email folder and address books under the newly created Thunderbird structure work?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Yes, if you're careful. Keep in mind that Thunderbird will only recognize abook.mab and history.mab unless you add entries to prefs.js to tell it about the other address books.
SW10

Post by SW10 »

tanstaafl, Thank you for your continued help. I know I will need more help as I move along. I sincerely appreciate your comments so far.

1. I have about 15 Address books. How do I make changes to the "prefs.js" file to show other address books that I will "droo and drag" to TB24 when I install it WITHOUT doing any "importing""?

2. If I do the "drop and drag" of "Local Folders" file from Netscape 7.2 and all address books from Netscape 7.2, are there other files like "prefs.js" which needs to be updated? If "Yes", then which files need updating if I "drop and drag" the "Local Folders" file from Netscape 7.2 to Thunderbird 24.....and HOW do I change those other files?

3. I am assuming I can just "drop and drag" the "Local Folders" folder if Thunderbird 24 is installed without importing any emails. Is this correct? The "Local Folders" shows all folders, sub-folders, and emaill files (*.msf files with back up, etc.). Are there other files (like "prefs.js" file) which must be changed if I "drop and drag" the "Local Folders" file from Netscape 7.2 to TB24?

4. I went to your "Migrate from Mozilla Suite...." webpage and found the following statement at the bottom of the webpage.

Thunderbird 11.0 and later
The direct migration/importing of old profiles from Netscape 6.x/7.x, Mozilla Suite 1.x, or SeaMonkey 1.x has been removed with Thunderbird 11.0 (this also applies to SeaMonkey 2.8 and later when trying to import such profiles). To migrate those, use either Thunderbird 3.x or SeaMonkey 2.0 to import the old profile, then update to the most recent Thunderbird version from there. As always, make sure to have a profile backup before getting started so that you can roll back to the original state.

5. Is there some place to download Thunderbird 3.x to use the above approach "to import the old profile, then update to the most recent Thunderbird version from there"? This assumes that I will be able to load Netscape 7.2 on my Win8 or Win8.8.1 laptop.

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

1. The simplest way is to use the MoreFunctionsForAddressBook add-on to import the address books as is (as *.mab files). If you don't want to use that then I suggest you export the address books as .csv files. I am not going to attempt to describe how to edit prefs.js to add each address book.

2. Yes. I don't know exactly what files need updating. If you want to migrate your data the hard way then I suggest you start by comparing http://ilias.ca/archive/netscape/profilefaq/#files and http://kb.mozillazine.org/Files_and_fol ... hunderbird

3. Yes and yes. Don't ask me what files need updating.

4. I will update the KB article to get rid of the false first impression.

5. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird lists where you can download a setup program for older versions.
SW10

Post by SW10 »

Tanstaafl.....thanks for your help. Apologies for my late reply. However, since January 2013, I have had open heart surgery, hip replacement, pneumonia, infections, blood clots, blood from lungs, and both computer totally failed (all chips) and printer totally failed. So, my sincerest apologies for disregarding your answers.

I understand probably editing and saving the Prefs.js file is complicated and time consuming for you to describe. However, below are some thoughts I have to be able for me to figure out the "format" of the lines of code for "address books" and anything else. Then, if I move email or address books into the Tbird "profile" file, I can possibly figure out the "format" of how to edit the "Prefs.js" file showing the new email files and address book files and maybe anything else.

[size=150]My main question is.....what program can be used to "open" the "prefs.js" file? [/size] Then, I could possibly figure out the "format" for address books, email, and anything else which might need to be added or changed, and then hopefully, just "close" the "prefs.js" file and then everything should work.

SO, DOES THE FOLLOWING MAKE SENSE?

EDITING THE"pREFS.JS FILE: i WOLUD ASSUME THAT i COULD open this file---maybe in notebook----and get an idea of what is in the file (i.e. email format, address book structure and format, and other info....so that I could probably figure out what lines of code I need to "add", "delete" or "modify". Do you think that is a reasonable approach?

1. Can the "Prefs.js file be opened in "Notebook" (OR, WHAT PROGRAM WILL OPEN "PREFS.JS")?

2. Can the "Prefs.js" file be EDIted IN "Notebook"? (OR, WHAT PROGRAM WILL OPEN "PREFS.JS")?

3. Or, in what program can the "Prefs.js" file be "opened" and "edited" and then "saved" with the new information needed (i.e. also the "format" of added "address book"in this "Prefs.js" file to migrate from Netscape 7.2 to The latest Thunderbird?

4***** In addition to manually adding the actual mail files and folders and addrewss books, what other file in addition to the "prefs.js" file has to be EDITED TO DO A PERFECT "MANUAL FILE MOVEMENT" MIGRATION FROM NETSCAPE 7.2 TO THE LATEST THUNDERBIRD?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Glad you're well.

The prefs.js file is a ordinary 7-bit ASCII text file. You can use Notepad or any text editor to edit it or read it. Don't use a word processor or a HTML editor as that will probably mess up the format. Its easiest to edit existing settings using the config editor at tools -> options -> advanced -> general if you are used to Firefox's about:config. The config editor lets you edit the same way, its just launched differently.

However, you're causing a lot of unnecessary work and risk in trying to manually edit a netscape prefs.js file (whether or not you use a text editor or the built-in config editor) to use it with Thunderbird. Why not start with a new profile and import everything? If you don't want to import everything using the built-in import wizard you could add accounts using tools -> account settings -> account actions -> "add a mail account" and then import your address books and mail folders using the MoreFunctionsForAddressBook and ImportExportTools add-ons. Then customize the look and feel as desired, and install any other add-ons you want. . You don't need to copy/import any more files.