Australis landing will need a FAQ Start with these questions

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Srap

Australis landing will need a FAQ Start with these questions

Post by Srap »

And now I will try to mimic the average 1bit user (the patent one, not the ragequit Chr*me-deserter):
- I've found a bug! What should I do?
- Where is the add-on bar?
- Where is the Firefox button?
- Can I get tabs-on-bottom?
- What happened to the small buttons?
- Will my favourite add-on work? When it will be updated?
- My theme does not work, what should I do?
- Why can't I move X or Y button from where it is?
- Why do my inactive tabs disappear/fade out?
- Where are my bookmarks?
- Why is that star dancing?
- Why are the tab and browser bars so tall?
- How can I get back the 3.6 Firefox look?
- How can I get back the 4+ Firefox look?

I had the strong urge to add "What is this, I don't even", but decided not to.
Sorry for my bad English. Even if there wasn't a mistake.
LoudNoise

Re: Australis landing will need a FAQ Start with these quest

Post by LoudNoise »

Please feel free to help with this.

ANY, AND I MEAN ANY, POSTS THAT IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM NOT ABOUT THE SUPPORT OF THE UPCOMING RELEASE WILL BE SPLIT OFF TO LOCKED POSTS.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Srap wrote:And now I will try to mimic the average 1bit user (the patent one, not the ragequit Chr*me-deserter):
- Will my favourite add-on work? When it will be updated?
- Why are the tab and browser bars so tall?
- How can I get back the 3.6 Firefox look?
- How can I get back the 4+ Firefox look?

I had the strong urge to add "What is this, I don't even", but decided not to.

The supporters of Australis probably won't like this, but I'm going to answer them bluntly straight forward.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

== Visit the Mozilla Bugzilla and File a bug.
-- Go to http://bugzilla.mozilla.org.
-- Click the "File A Bug link". On this page, click the "Firefox" link and follow the instructions on that page.

== The add-on bar has be REMOVED. You will have to find an add-on that restores functionality.

== The Firefox button has been replaced with the "Hamburger" menu to the right of the browser window. It looks like three stacked lines.

== Tabs-On-Bottom has been REMOVED. You will have to find an add-on that restores functionality.

== The small buttons option has been REMOVED. You will have to find an add-on that restores functionality.

- Will my favorite add-on work? When it will be updated?

== It is up to the individual add-on developer to make their add-ons compatible. Please contact the developer of that add-on for support.

== Significant changes were made to the Firefox UI. Older Themes may not be compatible anymore. Please contact the developer of that add-on for support.

== The Australis UI restricts the placement of toolbar items making the UI less customizable.
-- You WILL NOT be able to remove the following items:
--- Location Bar.
--- Back & Forward Buttons.
--- GO/STOP/RELOAD Buttons.
--- "Hamburger" Menu Button.
--- Separator lines.

-- It is still possible to add Separator lines to the Bookmarks Toolbar by using the Bookmarks Library and editing the toolbar items there.

- Why can't I add a new Toolbar.
== The ability to create a new toolbar has been REMOVED. You will have to find an add-on that restores functionality.

== Inactive tabs in the Australis UI no longer have a background texture.

== The Bookmarks button doubles functionality as a Menu and the Bookmarks Star to add Bookmarks.

== The "dancing" signifies that a bookmark was added. An existing bookmark is indicated by a colored star.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last three questions I can't answer.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Omega X wrote:
The supporters of Australis probably won't like this, but I'm going to answer them bluntly straight forward.

Kindly don't start this.

Also, while the reason it exists is good we do suggestions for extensions if they want to change.
-
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

I don't have any suggestions for add-ons that replace the missing functionality. Maybe someone else can fill that in.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Omega's answers look good to me, if written with a trace of exasperation. One alternative that should not be overlooked, however, is just to use it as is. It's a fools errand to make it what it used to be, so why not just counsel people to live with it?
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Omega X wrote:- Where is the add-on bar?

== The add-on bar has be REMOVED. You will have to find an add-on that restores functionality.

- Your extensions buttons should have automatically been migrated from the add-on bar to the Customization deck. Use the "Hamburger" menu and then press Customize. You can move extensions buttons to the Bookmarks Toolbar and remove the bookmarks block if you want.

Omega X wrote:- Where is the Firefox button?

== The Firefox button has been replaced with the "Hamburger" menu to the right of the browser window. It looks like three stacked lines.

- The "Hamburger" menu only supports a hand-full of features. To get your full menu options back, as with previous versions, right-click on the main toolbar and check "Menubar" to see the full menu.

Omega X wrote:- Why can't I add a new Toolbar.
== The ability to create a new toolbar has been REMOVED. You will have to find an add-on that restores functionality.

- In addition to not being able to create new toolbars, you may find that any extensions icons you have placed on a custom toolbar in the past are now "lost". Hamburger > Customize > Restore Defaults should move those items into the Customization deck. As mentioned above, if you do not use the Bookmarks Toolbar for bookmarks, you can move extensions buttons there and pull off the bookmarks block.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Those are a bit wordy. I'd cut them down some. The extensions buttons part should be a separate question, for example: What happened to my extension buttons?

The Firefox menu acts differently than the full menu. That should also be a separate question.

The suggestion about using the Bookmarks Toolbar is a good idea. I wonder how long it'll be before they refuse to let people put things other than bookmarks on the bookmarks toolbar.
Gort

Post by Gort »

patrickjdempsey wrote:- The "Hamburger" menu only supports a hand-full of features. To get your full menu options back, as with previous versions, right-click on the main toolbar and check "Menubar" to see the full menu.

Maybe also remind people about pressing Alt or F10 to temporarily get the full menu?
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

A real question has appeared in the old thread:
viewtopic.php?p=13356293#p13356293

How to restore the full text of page descriptions in the title bar?

- In Customize mode, lower-left-hand corner there is a button that will restore it.
- Setting browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar to False will restore it.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Well, removed my suggestion since its meeting resistance. Let users of the Australis fiasco find their own addons/workarounds.
Last edited by TheVisitor on February 12th, 2014, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

TheVisitor wrote:
Omega X wrote:I don't have any suggestions for add-ons that replace the missing functionality. Maybe someone else can fill that in.

Most, if not all of the concerns for replacing missing items are available in...

...a number of very good extensions.

I've read entire Ebooks that were not as long as the CTR description notes. Many people just need an Addon Bar or similar and there's quite a number of extensions that give just that. When the time comes, we can make a long list of all the various extensions available.

Most of the problems with Australis arise from a lack of user choice by from limiting customabilty. I certainly wouldn't want to see that lack of user choice further compounded by anyone getting the impression that there is only one 'magic bullet' extension solution to any of this.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
colfer

Post by colfer »

Classic Theme Restorer works out of the box, it has good defaults. Don't need to read the E-book. Status-4-Evar works too. One thing I could not get working: Firefox: Bring the Title Back, a Stylish style, http://userstyles.org/styles/41025/fire ... title-back . The idea is to get the full title back without enabling title bar. For now, I'm mousing over the tab, which gives the same info in a tooltip.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

colfer wrote:... works out of the box.

Could you just explain that meaningless phrase 'works out of the box'? Care to name 1 single extension that does not 'work out of the box'?

Your words are not making sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjz16xjeBAA
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
colfer

Post by colfer »

Frank Lion wrote:I've read entire Ebooks that were not as long as the CTR description notes.

That's what I was replying to, thought you meant it was hard to configure. Actually I find a lot extensions do not work out of the box, you have to hunt around options or put something on the toolbar.