Australis landing will need a FAQ- I give up.

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
smsmith

Re: Australis landing will need a FAQ- I give up.

Post by smsmith »

Lunar wrote:
smsmith wrote:...
If you actually want to "do something about it", pick one thing you don't like about the direction they are going, find a way to "fix, ...

Well, I'm not a C coder, so I can't 'fix' it, but I can 'pick one thing'...

Don't need to be. Maybe you find that extension or know a userChrome hack that fixes whatever you think is wrong.

The moving of the 'Firefox button'
I know the 'firefox' button has not been with us ling, but I've become ha Huge Fan of it. I can 'hide' my Navbar, something you only need now and tehn with the advent of 'tabs. Moving the 'FF button' to a menu (which it's self does Not function well) on the Navbar, eliminates the ability to hide the Navbar.
See.. there is No way to 'pick one thing' as Everything runs into another.. the button, the removal of 'hide navbar', the 'Tabs on Top' , and so on...

No, you just need to think more globally. You can't move some buttons from their default positions. Tabs on top has nothing to do with that, it's a separate issue. Coincidentally, both of these issues are solved by the Classic Theme Restorer add-on. I'm guessing the "and so on..." is also fixed by that add-on.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

streetwolf wrote:Whatever you say Frank.

Whatever I say? :-k

Well, I'll say this again for a start -

...I don't know if it's social media and Twitter at fault, but surely not everyone only has English as a second language and is capable of stringing a few sentences together. Then you have the emphasis on the 'I this..I that..I..I...' all the time, ignoring the fact that feedback should be aimed solely at the default installation that millions of people at work have to use and haven't the time to change...or the non-techie users who don't know how to change what they don't like.

The idea that the only people who don't like change is only a few old fools set in their ways and so their views can be dismissed, is a myth. It is that group of busy people above and the millions of other users who only see Firefox as yet another piece of software to use/not use....

viewtopic.php?p=13334729#p13334729

And then I'll say this - I haven't yet seen one single ra-ra 'I'm loving Australis!!' fanbois around here yet who wasn't using Userstyles, extensions or UserChrome.css snippets on Australis.

If Australis was so damn marvelous in features, UI and functionality, why should that be necessary?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not accusing anyone of hypocrisy. I'm accusing them of outright hypocrisy. Yeah, I think that just about sums up my 'whatever I say' take on this one.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

I don't see how Australis is a problem for most of us - we can just use CTR

I've been telling people to use that as it works fairly well
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
Sanni

Post by Sanni »

Frank Lion wrote:
And then I'll say this - I haven't yet seen one single ra-ra 'I'm loving Australis!!' fanbois around here yet who wasn't using Userstyles, extensions or UserChrome.css snippets on Australis.

If Australis was so damn marvelous in features, UI and functionality, why should that be necessary?

The people who love/can live with/too lazy to do anything about Australis usually not posting here - they are happy, why to bother and write?

I'm good example - for me Australis is good enough - so only posts that I have are about Australis bugs, not about theoretical problems.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Not surprising considering that the people running Nightly and other development builds tend to be the eager-beaver types who can't wait to see what new features Mozilla has cooked up. People out in the real world don't care about new features, they just want to know why the browser looks different after an update.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Sanni wrote:I'm good example..

You are a good example of someone extrapolating the single example of, er, yourself and turning it into an unrelated theory that has nothing to do with the direct observation point I made above.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Cheekeh Munkeh

Post by Cheekeh Munkeh »

Simple question -- is there any way to restore the full text of page descriptions in the title bar without using CTR? Possible thru userChrome?

With multiple tabs open, the 8-10 character page descriptions just don't cut it, and the number of pixels reclaimed by drawing tabs in the former title bar space is inconsequential to me. I can tolerate many of the other changes, but this one irks most.
patrickjdempsey

Have you tried toggling: browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar ?
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Cheekeh Munkeh wrote:Simple question -- is there any way to restore the full text of page descriptions in the title bar without using CTR? Possible thru userChrome?

With multiple tabs open, the 8-10 character page descriptions just don't cut it, and the number of pixels reclaimed by drawing tabs in the former title bar space is inconsequential to me. I can tolerate many of the other changes, but this one irks most.

Flipping browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar to false in about:config should give you back the titlebar.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Have you tried toggling: browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar ?

Enter customization mode. There's a button to show the title bar now. Lower left.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

A better place would have been in the View context menu
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
patrickjdempsey

Better for us old-timers but how many times have we had people ask how to restore a missing toolbar here? Best would have been to have it in both places, but I suspect the context menu is not long for this world.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

I don't think that pref is used anymore.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.9.1esr, Thunderbird 115.9.0, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
patrickjdempsey

L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:

I don't think that pref is used anymore.

I just read a bug that hooks that pref up to the new UI for the button. Make sure your version is up-to-date.