When I update Firefox will I lose my current bookmarks?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ArmyDave

When I update Firefox will I lose my current bookmarks?

Post by ArmyDave »

I am using Firefox version 1.0. The updates tell me to make sure there are no previous version of Firefox. If I delete the version I'm using will I lose my bookmarks? Do I have to uninstall the current version first? This seems like a real pain as I'll have to print out a copy of my bookmarks then manually reload everything. Thank you for your advice.
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

You shouldn't have any problems updating by uninstalling and installing the new version because the profile folders should remain intact, but it pays to back up just in case.

With Firefox closed, back up important files housed in the profile folder (copy and paste to another location):

Windows XP: Show Hidden Program or System Files

Locate your profile folder

Backing up your profile

Specific files of interest
Mini-Geek

Re: When I update Firefox will I lose my current bookmarks?

Post by Mini-Geek »

ArmyDave wrote:If I delete the version I'm using will I lose my bookmarks?
no, they're stored in your profile folder that isn't touched while uninstalling
ArmyDave wrote:Do I have to uninstall the current version first?
you don't necessarily have to but otherwise you'll have two entries in add/remove programs, one for each version. this bug should be fixed by 1.1
Playing computers since 6 months old,
Tim
Fx 2.0.0.1 on WinXP - Forum Rules
StudioCity1

WIped out bookmarks

Post by StudioCity1 »

Out of nowhere, Firefox popped up yesterday on my computer and there was a totally new interface asking if I wanted to "choose profile"
After that, I completely found my bookmarks to be wiped out.

There was no prior notice of an upcoming upgrade to Firefox, so this just took me completely by unpleasant surprise.
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

greenknight

Re: WIped out bookmarks

Post by greenknight »

StudioCity1 wrote:Out of nowhere, Firefox popped up yesterday on my computer and there was a totally new interface asking if I wanted to "choose profile"

There was no prior notice of an upcoming upgrade to Firefox, so this just took me completely by unpleasant surprise.
This has nothing to do with upgrades, it just means firefox failed to shut down completely.
AsianBizGuru

Re: WIped out bookmarks

Post by AsianBizGuru »

greenknight wrote:
StudioCity1 wrote:Out of nowhere, Firefox popped up yesterday on my computer and there was a totally new interface asking if I wanted to "choose profile"

This has nothing to do with upgrades, it just means firefox failed to shut down completely.

Ok, well apparently THIS happened to me .. I had preciously used my bookmarks and carefully filed them .. NOW .. all are gone after Updating to 1.0.2 ...

What do I do??? Any solution??

Thanks,

Greg
Greg
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Check out LeRoi's links above.
Win 10 Pro x64, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 core, 3900 MHz (4450 Turbo), AMD Radeon Vega (integrated graphics). 16GB DDR4-3200, Firefox 124.0.2, Developer Edition 125.0b9, Nightly 127.0a1.