Seamonkey Project - Proposed Alternative Name Archive.

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
KrocCamen

!

Post by KrocCamen »

Thank goodness for a decision! I was beginning to think that the whole naming thing would take six months of bitching on the wiki! :)
johann_p

Post by johann_p »

KaiRo wrote: Until we get clearance from their lawers, we can't and won't announce the naming decision, though it's been made. Please be patient.

Out of curiosity: why can't and won't you announce the name until then? What is the reason?
BamseIsUnix

Post by BamseIsUnix »

What is it?

Beonex? Monolith? Heliodore? StarDrake? Skythian? Moz something? Something Zilla?

I can't stand the waiting. This is like standing in a long queue.

No matter what the final name will be, I'll be happy with it. Just please... not Seamonkey.

johann_p wrote:
KaiRo wrote: Until we get clearance from their lawers, we can't and won't announce the naming decision, though it's been made. Please be patient.

Out of curiosity: why can't and won't you announce the name until then? What is the reason?

Probably they don't want users to start whining why their own proposals weren't selected. If the name is announced before it's finally put in use, people will use their veto and start screaming in panic because of an upcoming branding disaster (or something). I guess there are some here who are willing to pick a little fight if their beloved name were abandoned...
KaiRo

Post by KaiRo »

johann_p wrote:

For once, I've agreed it with MoFo, and as they are spending money on registering our trademark, I tend to accept their wishes on that ;-)
Additionally, suppose someone doesn't like it and applies for the trademark before MoFo lawyers can. Or someone goes out and registers any domain names containing that name and then has the argument of "it wasn't trademarked, I didn't know it would be secured" - and quite some other possibilites along those lines.
They told me it's easier for their legal staff to do this all without us touting it out already. And we really want to make it as easy for them as possible, as we're happy they're helping us.
"Sometimes the roads we take do not turn out to be the roads we envisioned them to be" - Garth Brooks, booklet "the hits"
jaroclay

Post by jaroclay »

KaiRo wrote:They told me it's easier for their legal staff to do this all without us touting it out already. And we really want to make it as easy for them as possible, as we're happy they're helping us.

Very good point, KaiRo. Very prudent as well. I am also very glad to hear how much MoFo is helping out - both financially and knowledge wise.

I am willing to wait to find out if it means not having to change the name a time or two. Remember all, patience is a virtue... :D
Never judge a day by the weather | The best things in life aren't things | Tell the truth - There is less to remember | No rain - No rainbows | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Paul

Post by Paul »

There have been lawsuits over names that can be easily confused with trademarked names, why go this route when MoFo has said we could use "Moz" (sic); therefore go with MozSuite. Some will notice the name chage but recognize that this is still the Mozlla Suite they have always used.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

1.0? Great. Now people will look down on it and say it's an immature product...
KaiRo

Post by KaiRo »

BenoitRen wrote:1.0? Great. Now people will look down on it and say it's an immature product...

Right. Just as all those people who don't use Firefox and/or Thunderbird because they're so immature that they still have a "1.0" version number. And just the same as they didn't use OpenOffice when it was 1.0 (and, well, it's even only 1.1.x now). And just as they don't use countless 0.x-versioned apps (e.g. almost every Linux user has been using xine or mplayer for a while, some even for years, and they both went 1.0 only a short time ago).

Actually, I don't expect that in the decision process between Firefox 1.1 and our 1.0 product the decision will be for Firefox just because of the version number. That's unrealistic to say the least.
"Sometimes the roads we take do not turn out to be the roads we envisioned them to be" - Garth Brooks, booklet "the hits"
Greg K Nicholson

Post by Greg K Nicholson »

Anyhow, I expect the version numbers to be inflated like Firefox's, e.g.:
Firefox 1.0 = Gecko 1.7.5
Firefox 1.1 = Gecko 1.8 = Seamonkey 1.0
Firefox 1.5 = Gecko 1.9 = Seamonkey 1.5*
Firefox 2.0 = Gecko 2.0 = Seamonkey 2.0* = "Mozilla 2.0"

It'd make sense for the version numbers to match Firefox's and/or Gecko's as much as possible.

(Note that the starred version numbers are just me making stuff up.)
Last edited by Greg K Nicholson on March 28th, 2005, 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
EightAndAHalf

MozaLiza

Post by EightAndAHalf »

How about '<b>MozaLiza</b>' ?

It's from a famous painting 'Mona Liza' by Leonard da Vinci
and also contains 'Moz + Lizard'.
KaiRo

Post by KaiRo »

Greg K Nicholson wrote:Anyhow, I expect the version numbers to be inflated like Firefox's

Actually, that's something we're thinking of. We're not completely sure yet if we want 2.0 for the toolkit/xulrunner-based version or the Gecko-2.0-based version, but they might just happen to be the same ;-)
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

What I meant was that corporate users will think of Seamonkey as a bad option because it has the version 1.0. To them it means that the product hasn't matured a lot and didn't go through a lot of testing and bugfixes yet.
Ernest

Post by Ernest »

KaiRo wrote:Today, we came to a decision, the whole council and those core developers agree on the name we decided upon. There's one open issue though: We want the name to get registered as a US trademark, so we forwarded that name to Mozilla Foundation, who will do the trademark registering process for us. Until we get clearance from their lawyers, we can't and won't announce the naming decision, though it's been made. Please be patient.

Given, the quirkiness of the trademark process at times, might it not have been wiser to have also forwarded to MoFo the second choice and possibly the third choice so that in the event that the first choice gets nixed by the lawyers, it doesn’t take so long for a back-up choice to be approved, if needed?
Paul

Post by Paul »

Very likely one or two alternate names have been submitted, although I'm not totally sure about this.
Thumper's Evil Twin

Post by Thumper's Evil Twin »

I am not in the least bit surprised that three pages after this thread has been made obsolete, two people are still suggesting names, one has decided he has a better idea than MoFo and BenoitRen is still whining.

I guess there are some here who are willing to pick a little fight if their beloved name were abandoned...

There are some people here (self sadly included) who could pick a fight in an empty room. Welcome to the Interweb.

- Chris