Mouse gestures for Seamonkey (and Firefox)

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Lemon Juice

Mouse gestures for Seamonkey (and Firefox)

Post by Lemon Juice »

Mouse Gestures Suite - mouse gestures extension for SeaMonkey and Firefox.

Information in this thread is outdated, please visit this thread for current news and updates.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Official version on the Mozilla Addons site: 1.4.3.
Compatible with SeaMonkey 2.19 and later.
Released: June 21, 2014

Newest version: 1.6.0.
Compatible with SeaMoney 2.19 and later, Firefox 22 and later and Pale Moon 24.x/25.x
Released: November 7, 2014
Download in version history (not yet reviewed by Mozilla but I still recommend it :D )

This extension is based on Firefox-only All-in-One Gestures extension, which appears to be abandoned by its author.

My initial inquiry about any up-to-date mouse gesture extension ended up in me modifying All-in-One Gestures for SeaMonkey compatibility and then picking up the development further. Below you will find the original discussion that took place.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it finally happened - the old abandoned Mouse Gestures Redox extension stopped playing nicely with SM as of version 2.24. This extension causes lots of javascript errors being thrown in the console from simply moving the mouse over the browser. So what is the alternative? I haven't found any mouse gestures officially supporting SM but sometimes a Firefox extension can be run after adding Seamonkey to the list of compatible applications in the xpi. Does anyone know which one works?
Last edited by Lemon Juice on April 26th, 2015, 11:18 am, edited 5 times in total.
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
raj_bhaskar

Re: Mouse gestures for Seamonkey 2.24?

Post by raj_bhaskar »

Mouse Gestures Redux still works for me. I see errors in the console every time I click, but the gestures themselves still work.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

I do web development so garbage in the console is not acceptable to me.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

So after realizing the prospect for mouse gestures supporting Seamonkey looks bleak I decided to do something about it. There are only two current mouse gesture extensions for Firefox: All-in-One Gestures and FireGestures. None of these work with Seamonkey but All-in-One Gestures are a little closer by at least having the options panel working more or less.

After reading some tutorials about how to port FF extensions to SM I decided to hack All-in-One Gestures and the results are quite good. If anyone wants to try it here is the link:

All-in-One Gestures 0.26.6 for Seamonkey

Update: The modified extension is now official under a different name and can be installed here:
Mouse Gestures Suite

I hacked the javascript code and fixed some of the more important actions that didn't work well in Seamonkey:

- opening/duplicating current window
- duplicating tabs
- closing document
- see next posts for more fixes & modifications

The gestures work for the browser only, no Mail/News. All functions work in browser windows but support for mouse and rocker gestures in mail, view source and mail compose windows has been added in version 1.2.0.

Let me know what you think, this is my first extension I hacked, I'm not an extension developer but I know javascript so at least I was able to make the most basic modifications.
Last edited by Lemon Juice on May 13th, 2014, 1:30 am, edited 15 times in total.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

I have found a few other gestures not working properly in Seamonkey so I fixed them. Here is the list:

- fix: "undo close tab" didn't work in SM
- fix: "open bookmarks manager" didn't work in SM
- fix: "open download manager" didn't work in SM
- fix: "close window" didn't work in SM when warning about closing multiple tabs was about to be displayed (but the warning didn't show)
- fix: "close other tabs" didn't work in SM when warning about closing multiple tabs was about to be displayed - removed the warning altogether since it's non-standard behaviour anyway

Moreover, I've fixed/changed some things not working well even in Firefox, so the Seamonkey version may be even better now:

- allow right- and middle-click gestures to work on form elements (they were disallowed but there seems to be no reason for doing so)
- fix: right-click gestures prevented right-click events from working on some pages (for example http://kcfinder.sunhater.com/demos/standalone)
- actions "open new tab/window" no longer open link when gesture was over a link - now it works consistently no matter where gesture was performed (always opening blank page or home page from browser settings); this is just personal preference since I don't see a reason for a gesture to open link in new tab/window while these actions are immediately available with right-click context menu

I've updated the download link in my previous post.

-------------------------------
I'm wondering if posting links to external xpi downloads is allowed on these forums. I want to provide this modified extension to be available somewhere for people to download and I'm wondering what option would be best:

- keep the links somewhere on these forums
- host it on github
- submit it to the official Mozilla Add-On site under a different name - is this easy enough?
- ask Philip Chee to host it on his modified extensions page

This has become a fork of the original All-in-One Gestures extensions and I'll keep maintaining it for myself so I might as well keep it public. From the comments at the official page it looks like the extension is abandoned by the developer so we don't know if it's ever going to come alive again not to mention expecting support for Seamonkey. That's why I think having a more up-to-date fork would be a good idea.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Lemon Juice wrote:I'm wondering if posting links to external xpi downloads is allowed on these forums. I want to provide this modified extension to be available somewhere for people to download and I'm wondering what option would be best:

- keep the links somewhere on these forums
- host it on github
- submit it to the official Mozilla Add-On site under a different name - is this easy enough?
- ask Philip Chee to host it on his modified extensions page

This has become a fork of the original All-in-One Gestures extensions and I'll keep maintaining it for myself so I might as well keep it public. From the comments at the official page it looks like the extension is abandoned by the developer so we don't know if it's ever going to come alive again not to mention expecting support for Seamonkey. That's why I think having a more up-to-date fork would be a good idea.

I'm more than happy to host it on my Mozdev extensions page. Unfortunately the Mozdev server (a 10 year old Supermicro) is on it's last legs and has been more down than up recently. I'm waiting for it to be moved to a more modern machine (or more probably a VM) before doing anything.

P.S. Thanks for updating this extension!

Phil
raj_bhaskar

Post by raj_bhaskar »

I wonder if it might be better to host it with AMO (if that's allowed, under a different name), so that any updates can be automatically rolled out to users?
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Philip Chee wrote:I'm more than happy to host it on my Mozdev extensions page. Unfortunately the Mozdev server (a 10 year old Supermicro) is on it's last legs and has been more down than up recently. I'm waiting for it to be moved to a more modern machine (or more probably a VM) before doing anything.

Thanks, then feel free to host it whenever you have time and the server is ready.

BTW, how difficult is it to submit an extension to AMO? Is this easy or do the Mozilla guys cause any trouble? Considering this extension has already passed acceptance at AMO then I suspect this shouldn't be a complicated procedure since the changes are pretty small relative to the original. As raj pointed out this would provide best visibility to SM users.

Anyway, one more update today to the extension:

- remove unused setting "'Close all other Tabs': Never warn"
- new option "'Open new Tab/Window' opens link under performed gesture" - I removed this behaviour myself but I just read some people want this so I added an option so that everybody is happy

Post by 4711 »

I have uploaded my current "development". No new features, just "bugfixes".
No active development.

http://www.mousegestures.org/download/n ... 140215.xpi

Jochen
truffle

Post by truffle »

@Lemon Juice
Is there a way to "inhibit" the right button click contextual menu to popup when the gesture is triggered by the right button?

@Jochen
Is there a changelog for this last version's bugfixes?

Thanks ;)
A signature block (often abbreviated as signature, sig block, sig file, .sig, dot sig, siggy, or just sig) is a block of text automatically appended at the bottom of an e-mail message, Usenet article, or forum post.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Thanks Jochen, now it works very well without javascript errors.

truffle wrote:@Lemon Juice
Is there a way to "inhibit" the right button click contextual menu to popup when the gesture is triggered by the right button?

I don't know - can you give me a link to a page where this happens?

Another bugfix release for Seamonkey All-in-One Gestures (0.26.3):
- fix: browser hang due to infinite loop after changing "Middle Button Scrolling" options when more than 2 browser windows were open. This bug was present even in Firefox.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Another release (0.26.4):

- fix: enabling/disabling gestures didn't work due to obsolete code (this also didn't work in Firefox)
- removed "Closing Tabs" preferences (for controlling which tab to focus after closing a tab) because the code didn't work in Seamonkey anyway
truffle

Post by truffle »

Lemon Juice wrote:I don't know - can you give me a link to a page where this happens?

I'm sorry, I probably didn't explain myself clearly: it is not something that happens on a specific page.

When the gestures are set to be triggered by the right mouse button (which is the default), the contextual menu (I mean the one that you have by right-clicking inside any page) appears along with the gesture's trace.
With Mouse Gestures Redux if you click the right button and do the gesture, the contextual menu doesn't appear; it only does so when you right click while perfectly still.

I find the contextual menu cumbersome while doing a gesture and wondered if there was a way to prevent the contextual menu from appearing, similar to how it is in Redux.

Hope is clearer now, thanks again. ;)
A signature block (often abbreviated as signature, sig block, sig file, .sig, dot sig, siggy, or just sig) is a block of text automatically appended at the bottom of an e-mail message, Usenet article, or forum post.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

truffle wrote:I'm sorry, I probably didn't explain myself clearly: it is not something that happens on a specific page.

When the gestures are set to be triggered by the right mouse button (which is the default), the contextual menu (I mean the one that you have by right-clicking inside any page) appears along with the gesture's trace.
With Mouse Gestures Redux if you click the right button and do the gesture, the contextual menu doesn't appear; it only does so when you right click while perfectly still.

I find the contextual menu cumbersome while doing a gesture and wondered if there was a way to prevent the contextual menu from appearing, similar to how it is in Redux.

Hope is clearer now, thanks again. ;)

Yes, it's clear now, I was asking about a web page because what you are describing isn't happening for me. The right-click context menu appears after I release the mouse button but mouse gestures are drawn when I depress the mouse button (before releasing) so it puzzles me how it is possible that the context menu appears with the gesture trace? Maybe it's a linux specific thing? When I draw the gesture with the right button the context menu doesn't appear for me. So now we have a problem because I can't reproduce the problem :?

So I have a couple of questions, maybe they will help me detect the problem somehow:

1. When does exactly the context menu appear for you when all mouse gesture extensions are disabled? Does it appear when you press the right mouse button or when you release it?

2. Can you test if the same problem happens when you install the extension in a clean new profile (to rule out any conflicts with other extensions)?
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

truffle, I installed Seamonkey on Linux Mint and indeed the right click context menu appears on pressing the mouse button, not on releasing it. However, as soon as I install the mouse gestures extension the behaviour switches to that on Windows system - the menu appears on releasing the mouse button and doesn't pop up when performing gestures. So I really don't know what the problem could be - maybe you have some unusual settings? The mouse gestures with default settings work well for me under linux.