Where is VLC Plugin?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
terrypin

Where is VLC Plugin?

Post by terrypin »

Add-On Manager > Plugins doesn't list the correct version of VLC. And using Update takes me to the Videolan download page inviting me to install VLC 2.1.3, which I did some time ago. The option to install the Mozilla plugin was enabled.

I've just tried re-installing VLC 2.1.3 but it made no difference.

How can I fix this please?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Win 10 Pro, Waterfox 56.1.0 replaced Firefox 56.0.2, TMP 0.5.0.5pre
JayhawksRock

Re: Where is VLC Plugin?

Post by JayhawksRock »

The plugin version may not be the same as the main program version. The path to each of the installed plugins can be found by typing or copy and paste about:plugins into the address bar and enter.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Thanks, but I'm confused! Does that mean that I can ignore the message or what?

--
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

terrypin wrote:Thanks, but I'm confused! Does that mean that I can ignore the message or what?
--

There must be an update from VLC and the nag will continue but you could ignore it. Ask VLC, its their plugin and you installed it in Windows. Firefox is telling you its out of date and Firefox can't fix it as it is not part of the program

You could try changing that dropdown in the Plugins List on the right side to always activate
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
rais

Post by rais »

ignore the message or what?

when running VLC, in the VLC Menu bar, click Help, click About
what version ?
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

As I mentioned, I'm using VLC 2.1.3.

I've disabled the plugin for now. (Selected Never activate.)

I've also posted in the VLC Forum, where I see many similar posts. The gist of VIdeolan's reply appears to be that it's Mozilla's fault. Meanwhile end users like me sit in the middle while they trade criticisms.

TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Perhaps something in this thread about enumeration: viewforum.php?f=7

EDIT: I lose track, not sure if this is even in 27.0.1 yet, but there is a bug on file to fix the 'plugin check':
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=938885

EDIT: I knew I'd seen something about this, see 2nd post in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2800817&p=13359047&hilit=enumeration#p13359047
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

This is from over at Mozilla support and may be of some help > https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/quest ... 058?page=2
Did you install the 64 bit or 32 bit version of VLC? If you installed the 64 bit version, try installing the "normal" 32 bit version, because I assume you are using a 32 bit Firefox (there are only very few users of the 64 bit Nightly version). This should install the VLC plugin 2.1.0.0. You can still use the 64 bit VLC and have both versions installed but I think only the 32 bit version installs the correct plugin for Firefox.

From the VLC forum https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=116131
Re: The VLC web plugin for Firefox 26 does not appear.

Postby Eng-jr » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:07 pm
Hello MichaelIsGreat -
As far as your first issue: you need to install the 32-bit version of vlc in order to get firefox to update the plugin info. Not the best info, I know but it does work.
You can read the discussion on the mozilla site here:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/quest ... 058?page=2
Last edited by JayhawksRock on February 16th, 2014, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

I just double-checked. The plugin version is not always up to par with the version of VLC Media Player.
For example, I have version VLC Media Player 2.1.2 (I know, I'm a bit overdue) and the plugin I have is v. 2.1.0

There is also a question as to whether or not you have installed a 64-bit version later on when you updated. You may install whichever version you want, as VLC Media Player 64-bits works equally well on 64-bits systems – to see movies, I mean. However, if you install VLC Media Player 64 bits, it will install the 64-bit plugin which works only on 64-bit browsers.

Another point to watch: when you install VLC (32-bits), select Custom Install (I don't remember if the options come by default or not) and make sure the "Web browser plugins" options are selected and that your browsers are not open during installation.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Firefox's plugin version checker is almost useless with anything except Flash and Java. This is because the list it uses is centralized on a Mozilla website and it has to be maintained by both the plugin developer and by Mozilla, which means sometimes it even reports band-new versions as out-of-date. I find it best to just ignore it and do my updates manually when I need them.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

I just 'updated' my WinXP VLC 2.1.2 Rincewind to the 2.1.3.0 version and it updated the plugin from 2.1.0 to 2.1.3 in the Tools>Plugins menu.
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970