Tagzilla 0.7a1 testing thread

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Philip Chee

Tagzilla 0.7a1 testing thread

Post by Philip Chee »

Hi!

I'm working on an update of TagZilla for SeaMonkey 2.6 and Thunderbird 9. I need TagZilla users out there to help me test this. Currently I've tested this in SeaMonkey 2.0.15pre and SeaMonkey 2.9a1. I'll need people to help me test this with Thunderbird and Firefox.

Installation link:
http://downloads.mozdev.org/tagzilla/tagzilla-0.7a1.xpi

What's New (So Far):
  • Updated for SeaMonkey 2.6 and Thunderbird 9.
  • Make version number saner. By now we should be approaching a 1.0 release!
  • Repack the JAR file in a saner format.
  • Move javascript addEventListeners from XUL to JS file.
  • Overlay the tasksKeys keyset instead of creating out own keyset.
  • Move the tagzillaNavLoad event listener from the window to the tabbrowser.
  • Update the account manager service for Gecko 2.0+ but retain backward
    compatibility.
  • Centralize the file picker code in utility.js.
  • Start to wrap loose variables and functions in an object.
  • Update browser detection code for newer Gecko versions.
  • Fix strict warning undeclared variable i.
  • Open the Tagzilla picker window with the current identity when called
    from the Compose window.

Things to watch out for:
1. Some users of 0.066.2 said that in the Options window they can't select a new tagline file and the current tagline file isn't visible in the textbox.

2. Open the Accounts Manager (in Thunderbird) check that each mail and news account has a Tagzilla leaf/panel. The registration process for account manager addons changed with Thunderbird 5 and SeaMonkey 2.1 but for some reason nobody complained about the missing account panel! I only noticed this when I started looking into updating Tagzilla.

Phil
mdame

Re: Tagzilla 0.7a1 testing thread

Post by mdame »

I would love to test it for your in Thunderbird 9, but I can't install it because Thunderbird says it's not compatible with 9.0.1.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

mdame wrote:I would love to test it for your in Thunderbird 9, but I can't install it because Thunderbird says it's not compatible with 9.0.1.

Hi!

I've increased the maxVersion to 12, so it should install up to Thunderbird 12. The link is still the same.
http://downloads.mozdev.org/tagzilla/tagzilla-0.7a1.xpi

Phil
mdame

Post by mdame »

OK, it's installed (after tracking down the latest version of jsLib) and appears to be working correctly. I'll report any problems.
group29

Post by group29 »

Hey Philip...

Just installed, running on Thunderbird 10.x and looks good so far. (Had to hack jsLib to have a larger max version, is anyone upping the version for that or are we on our own?) We should try and drop the need for jsLib. I've advocated in the past to going with an SQLite DB or something other than a text file. Thoughts?

One thing that hasn't been working for a while is when a random quote is selected, it's not highlighted in the list. The list always starts at the "top".

If I see any anomalies with T10, I'll let you know.

P.S. How are you going to promote / publicize a final release package? Will it be updated on the Tagzilla page? Once thing Tagzilla never has had is integration with the Thunderbird update extensions check. Would be nice if that was working too.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

group29 wrote:Hey Philip...

Just installed, running on Thunderbird 10.x and looks good so far. (Had to hack jsLib to have a larger max version, is anyone upping the version for that or are we on our own?) We should try and drop the need for jsLib. I've advocated in the past to going with an SQLite DB or something other than a text file. Thoughts?

I'm slowly rewriting Tagzilla to not depend on jsLib. SQLite is way overkill. Even Firefox is giving up on SQLite for simpler stuff such as the search engine manager.
group29 wrote:One thing that hasn't been working for a while is when a random quote is selected, it's not highlighted in the list. The list always starts at the "top".

Do you mean in the Tagzilla window when you press the "Select random tagline" button? Strange it works here.
group29 wrote:If I see any anomalies with T10, I'll let you know.

Thanks!
group29 wrote:P.S. How are you going to promote / publicize a final release package? Will it be updated on the Tagzilla page? Once thing Tagzilla never has had is integration with the Thunderbird update extensions check. Would be nice if that was working too.

Yes I'll be updating the Tagzilla project site on Mozdev. Getting extension update checks working will be something I'll be looking into after fixing all the more pressing issues.

Phil
CorranH

Post by CorranH »

I this project still being developed?

I am looking at switching from Eudora to Postbox (http://www.postbox-inc.com/) and I can't find any add-ons for adding random sigs to my mails.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

CorranH wrote:I this project still being developed?

Yes I'm still maintaining Tagzilla. It still has a dependency on having JSLib installed but I plan to remove that dependency (when I have the time for this).

Phil
B00ze

Post by B00ze »

Good day.

Thanks for fixing TagZilla; it still doesn't work fully here (never did) but it's better than it was (e.g. accounts mgr).

Open the Accounts Manager (in Thunderbird) check that each mail and news account has a Tagzilla leaf/panel. The registration process for account manager addons changed with Thunderbird 5 and SeaMonkey 2.1 but for some reason nobody complained about the missing account panel! I only noticed this...

Indeed, it wasn't working. However, you could get around this by clicking Options in the Add-Ons list; the options panel had a second TAB (Mail/News) which allowed setting the options for each account (this is now gone, but the settings are back in the accounts manager).

What's not been working for me, and this for a looong time, are the 2 options "Automatically add tagline when sending message" and "Add TagLine without opening TagZilla" - these have worked ONCE (1 message) when I first started using TagZilla years ago, since then, nada; I have to manually bring-up TagZilla with a toolbar button to add a TagLine. If the option "Add TagLine without opening TagZilla" is checked, then when I press the button, it adds a TagLine without bringing-up the window. But the option to "Automatically add tagline when sending message" no longer works (never really did) - when I create a new message, no TagLine is added unless I press the TagZilla button in my toolbar. Does this work for you?

Thank you.
Best Regards,
B00ze

Post by B00ze »

FYI, I found this looking for a newer TagZilla:
https://www.freshports.org/www/xpi-tagzilla/
Not quite sure what it's about...
daneel80

Post by daneel80 »

Hi,

works great for me with the restoration of menus in each account panel.

I use Thunderbird 24.3.0 on Linux Mint LTS Maya, cinnamon.

Nota bene : the tagline ends with "* TagZilla 0.066 * http://tagzilla.mozdev.org" The version number isn't correct. Easy to fix I think :-)
gilcarvr

Post by gilcarvr »

just a note for Phillip... installed jslib-lite and tagzilla again today after a fresh installation of seamonkey 2.26.1 on my peppermint5 linux laptop...

yippee... =D>

http://jslib.mozdev.org/installation.html#
B00ze

Post by B00ze »

Good day.

Been using TagZilla 0.7 with Thunderbird 24 for a few weeks now, works great, it even adds the tagline automatically to my signature (this never worked before, woohoo, works now!).

FYI, the settings GUI is missing 2 preferences (which I need because I make the tagline part of my signature, so the prefix needs to be blank):

user_pref("tagzilla.mail.prefix", "");
user_pref("tagzilla.mail.suffix", "\\n");

Thank you.
Best Regards,
earlpiggot

Post by earlpiggot »

Phillip, are you still maintaining Tagzilla? Thank you for your contribution.

Ever since 38 betas, it brings up this error message window, whenever composing a new message:

Code: Select all

[Javascript Application]
There was an error reading your tagline file.
Verify your TagZilla settings are correct before continuing.

and instead of a random quote from the file that it is set to look into, it adds a null signature.

Up until Thunderbird version 31.8.0, it is working fine.

Any idea?
gilcarvr

Post by gilcarvr »

received Earl's note in my inbox this morning, just reinstalled jslib lite and tagzilla 0.7a2 after bumping the Seamoney max rdf to 5.0... SM dosn't remember where the sigfile is, and once prompted brings up a null/empty selection box...