firefox isn't automatically logging in to sites anymore..

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
VanillaMozilla

Re: firefox isn't automatically logging in to sites anymore.

Post by VanillaMozilla »

I just checked this forum with the Chromium browser. The login works exactly like Firefox. You have to press the button.

It has to be this way, because logging in still requires interaction. Usually you will have a choice of user names that can be used for login, and I think the process has to be designed to accommodate that. And you can't have it submitting the login before you have the name and password the way you want it, so it must be designed to require that you press the button.

Now if the site recognizes your cookie and says in effect, "Step right in, you're all logged in," that's a different method. I have to say I don't have much experience with that, because I don't leave cookies around.
Oracle68

Post by Oracle68 »

VanillaMozilla wrote:
Oracle68 wrote:I should have stated that the user id's and passwords are entered into the appropriate fields at the various websites, it just doesn't log in for you. I have to manually click on the log in button.

Ah, why didn't you say so? Perfectly normal. That's what Firefox does. Just press the button.

Anything else, I believe, would be up to the Web site. There may be a check box that says "Keep me logged in", or something like that. Or perhaps you have some login extension that presses the button for you. Can't help you more than that. Not actually a Firefox problem, as far as I can tell. Possibly an extension problem, but not a Firefox problem.

So, if I read your statement correctly, you are saying that Firefox does NOT allow for automatic logging into websites, as IE and Chrome do.

It is a browser function that allows an automatic log in, if the site allows it to be done. For example - http://forums.mozillazine.org has a function embedded in its code that allows a browser to use a stored user id and password to log into that site automatically each time you visit it. The site, all sites that allow automatic logging in, use two things to accomplish this. One is code embedded in the website that tells the web browser that it has enabled automatic logging in. The second part in embedded in the code of the BROWSER and that code takes the user id and password that has been associated, and stored within it's program, with the particular website and does the actual logging in. The website tells the browser where the login fields are, the browser populates those fields and logs into the site. That is how automatic logging in works. There is actually a third part to this - the cookie that resides on your machine that tells the browser that the "Keep Me Logged In" check box has been checked. (I stated that I am not a newbie at this)

There seems to be a glitch in Firefox, either due to a user entered variable or a corrupted piece of code, that is preventing the automatic logging into a website that has automatic logging in enabled. It appears to be intermittent as I was automatically logged into this forum this morning, but not into several other sites that I should be logged into automatically.

I have stated that before that I have no extensions or add-ons installed/enabled with Firefox.

I am attempting to determine how to proceed on this matter as it is rapidly becoming a deal breaker for me. If, as you say, you do not have an answer to my dilemma, then lets see if there is someone else who does. If you are the moderator for this section of the forum, would you ask some of the other moderators about this issue. Perhaps they may have solution to the problem.
The Dawg
Be The Man You Dog Thinks You Are!!
r4d4

Post by r4d4 »

"Hassle-Free Login
    After saving a website's username and password, LastPass will autofill the login when you return to that site. No thought, no typing, no work required - LastPass does it for you. "
https://lastpass.com/features_free.php
Oracle68

Post by Oracle68 »

r4d4 wrote: 
"Hassle-Free Login
    After saving a website's username and password, LastPass will autofill the login when you return to that site. No thought, no typing, no work required - LastPass does it for you. "
https://lastpass.com/features_free.php

I do appreciate this advice about this program. I, however, am not going to use it.

Thanks anyways
The Dawg
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Oracle68 wrote:So, if I read your statement correctly, you are saying that Firefox does NOT allow for automatic logging into websites, as IE and Chrome do.

I'm starting to repeat myself. I just logged onto this Web site, and Chromium behaved exactly as Firefox does.

If I haven't posted this yet, take a look and work through this. Don't skip any steps.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pa ... -passwords

Read this too: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/964928

Here's what Google has to say about it:
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/39273?hl=en

I haven't seen it documented, but under some conditions it may not be possible to log in without user intervention, for example if there is more than one user account for a Web page. There are also several ways you can block or delete cookies that you need.

In your case, I suggest that you test it with a new profile. Don't make any changes to the profile. Just use it and see if it works. This will give you all default settings and no extensions, and no stored cookies.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

OK, I did your homework for you. :D

Starting with a new profile, I tested Firefox on this forum. I logged in once and let the browser save the password. Everything works correctly. If you don't log out before you close Firefox and you don't discard cookies, you will automatically be logged in again the next time. If you log out before you close Firefox, then you will have to press the button. The Chromium browser works exactly the same way.
Oracle68

Post by Oracle68 »

VanillaMozilla wrote:I'm starting to repeat myself. I just logged onto this Web site, and Chromium behaved exactly as Firefox does.

BTW, it's Chrome not Chromium, unless you are making fun of Google. In that case, please feel free to continue to do so. I love to beat up on Google. :mrgreen:

My version of Chrome behaves exactly as IE does and how I wish Firefox to behave. It remembers the passwords and logs me into the those sites I have instructed it to log me into automatically.

VanillaMozilla wrote:If I haven't posted this yet, take a look and work through this. Don't skip any steps.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pa ... -passwords

I don't see how this has any bearing on whether or not Firefox logs into a particular site automatically. Nothing in this article has anything to with my problem as I have stated it. Unless I am not understanding some facet. Unless you count the fact that I have deleted all of the passwords out of my browser on multiple times. I believe that a separate forum post suggested that deleting all of the passwords from Firefox might force Firefox to "reset" itself. Alas, it did not appear to work.

VanillaMozilla wrote:Read this too: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/964928

I have not, to my knowledge, ever run Firefox, or any other browser in Private Mode.....

The clearing of history thread is a more promising article. I had not understood some of the choices made here. I had not even been aware of some of the options here at all... This article answers some of the questions I had and may solve something. We shall see...

I have adjusted some of the options this article talks about and we will see if this has any bearing on the issue I am having. Specifically unchecking the "Active Logins" box....

VanillaMozilla wrote:Here's what Google has to say about it:
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/39273?hl=en

And, once again, this article has no bearing on my problem. It is about DISABLING the automatic logging in function not trying to get it to work. Unless I missed something in the article that addresses my problem.

VanillaMozilla wrote:I haven't seen it documented, but under some conditions it may not be possible to log in without user intervention, for example if there is more than one user account for a Web page. There are also several ways you can block or delete cookies that you need.

I do not disagree with this statement. There are several sites that I go to that have multiple logins. If they have a "keep me logged in" check box, and I have checked it, they tend, in other browsers, to remember the last login I have utilized. Still, I do not count those as good examples of this issue anyways. The statement still does not clarify for me why Firefox will not automatically log me into a site that has an automatic login feature (ie "keep me logged in" check box)

Perhaps you can shed some light on the "several ways you can block or delete cookies" you are talking about. I know of only two ways to do it, through a browser or directly from the folders.

VanillaMozilla wrote:In your case, I suggest that you test it with a new profile. Don't make any changes to the profile. Just use it and see if it works. This will give you all default settings and no extensions, and no stored cookies.

After being told I had to be logged out of Firefox to activate the Firefox Profile manager, I waited till my downloads were complete, logged out of Firefox and was successful in getting the Firefox Profile Manager to open up. I used it to create a brand new profile. I then went out to the various sites that I traditionally have myself continually logged into and logged into them. I had Firefox remember passwords and then closed down Firefox and went back to the sites. Firefox refused to log into them automatically.

Miraculously, this morning, Firefox seemed to "fix" itself. Every Website I have visited today, has automatically logged me in. This a welcome development. Unfortunately, I am unsure if it will continue to work. I certainly hope it does. The curious thing is that I did NOTHING yesterday or last night EXCEPT to create a new profile, use it, then switch back to my old profile.

VanillaMozilla wrote:OK, I did your homework for you. :D

Starting with a new profile, I tested Firefox on this forum. I logged in once and let the browser save the password. Everything works correctly. If you don't log out before you close Firefox and you don't discard cookies, you will automatically be logged in again the next time. If you log out before you close Firefox, then you will have to press the button. The Chromium browser works exactly the same way.

I am not sure what "homework" you did for me. I tested my copies of IE and Chrome long before I started this thread and have ABSOLUTELY no problems with the automatic logging in at the dozen or so sites I frequent that allow for it. I am planning on testing some of the lesser known browsers later this week. Your line about not logging out of a site before closing Firefox is something I do understand. If this was a case of me logging out of the sites before closing Firefox, then this would not be an issue. As I have said repeatedly, I am not a newbie.

Now, you used smiley faces in your posts so I will try to keep my tone jovial and light hearted as well, despite my high level of frustration. This is not your fault. I do know that and appreciate your assistance. :D :P :lol: =D> :mrgreen: :-"
The Dawg
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Oracle68 wrote:BTW, it's Chrome not Chromium,r]

Displaying your ignorance there old chap
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_%28web_browser%29
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Good morning malliz. :D Yes it's Chromium. I don't happen to have Chrome.

Oracle68 wrote:I am not sure what "homework" you did for me.

The steps are in my previous post. Did you try them? I know you previously had some trouble with the Web site, but that's not the fault of the browser. I think the first thing you need to do is reproduce what I did. It should work for you.

I've tried two or three sites now. In default condition (i.e., new profile) Firefox works exactly like Chromium. I did manage to reproduce your problem with my usual profile, but not with a new profile.

The next move is yours. New profile, please.
Oracle68

Post by Oracle68 »

malliz wrote:
Oracle68 wrote:BTW, it's Chrome not Chromium,r]

Displaying your ignorance there old chap
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_%28web_browser%29

You are right! I was unaware of this. :oops:
The Dawg
Oracle68

Post by Oracle68 »

VanillaMozilla wrote:Good morning malliz. :D Yes it's Chromium. I don't happen to have Chrome.

Oracle68 wrote:I am not sure what "homework" you did for me.

The steps are in my previous post. Did you try them? I know you previously had some trouble with the Web site, but that's not the fault of the browser. I think the first thing you need to do is reproduce what I did. It should work for you.

I've tried two or three sites now. In default condition (i.e., new profile) Firefox works exactly like Chromium. I did manage to reproduce your problem with my usual profile, but not with a new profile.

The next move is yours. New profile, please.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to quote them for me? Becasue I seem to be missing the post where you outlined the steps you are referring to.

And I have done the new profile, it is doing the EXACT same thing.
The Dawg
dmcritchie

Post by dmcritchie »

Did you try invoking the bookmarklets in the already mentioned
http://kb.mozillazine.org/User_name_and ... remembered

It will tell you if anything in the form was modified when run to help you
save the remember the password when asked (except for the 2nd which
gives no feedback).

The first works for most sites (non frames) the other two work for frames.
You create the bookmarklet as a normal bookmark, but put the javascript code
into the location portion. These are best suited to assigning a keyword
shortcut to each bookmark to make them easier to invoke.
Oracle68

Post by Oracle68 »

dmcritchie wrote:Did you try invoking the bookmarklets in the already mentioned
http://kb.mozillazine.org/User_name_and ... remembered

It will tell you if anything in the form was modified when run to help you save the remember the password when asked (except for the 2nd which
gives no feedback).

The first works for most sites (non frames) the other two work for frames. You create the bookmarklet as a normal bookmark, but put the javascript code into the location portion. These are best suited to assigning a keyword shortcut to each bookmark to make them easier to invoke.

This is not a matter of Firefox not remembering my usernames or passwords. My Firefox remembers the user id's and passwords. It just doesn't complete the final step and log me into the website.

This bookmarlets is a bit more complicated than I have any desire to try to "fix" something that should be already working. This should be a no brainer. All commercial browsers have this function built into them and so should Firefox. The more complicated it is made, the fewer people who will use this browser. Even I am considering dumping it for one more user friendly.

BTW, Firefox has stopped logging me in automatically again. I got 7 hours of it working yesterday.
The Dawg
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Oracle68 wrote:Neither of the two items you listed appear to be addressing the issue I appear to be having. I should have stated that the user id's and passwords are entered into the appropriate fields at the various websites, it just doesn't log in for you. I have to manually click on the log in button.

I'm not going to read 2 pages of this stuff to see if this has already been mentioned - Sometimes the reason for this behavior is called autocomplete=off. Web designers use it to block automatic interaction with password fields. When set to off, browsers won't suggest to save passwords or fill out password forms automatically.

Anyway, there's an override pref for that in Firefox 29 and it will also appear in Chrome34.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Oracle68

Post by Oracle68 »

Frank Lion wrote:I'm not going to read 2 pages of this stuff to see if this has already been mentioned - Sometimes the reason for this behavior is called autocomplete=off. Web designers use it to block automatic interaction with password fields. When set to off, browsers won't suggest to save passwords or fill out password forms automatically.

Anyway, there's an override pref for that in Firefox 29 and it will also appear in Chrome34.

So how do I get into the about:config dialog box?
The Dawg