Can't install Mng extension

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
amano

Can't install Mng extension

Post by amano »

hmm. tried the mng extension and it didn't work (tried this bugzilla testcase http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment. ... ction=view ).

did anyone succeed in getting this extension to work? I failed with 0.6.1 official (final) build and the latest nightly :( .

firebird gave me an error having restarting the first time after the extension installation: "the application couldn't be started because mozz.dll couldn't be found.

firebird started anyway and after the next restart the error msg was gone, but mng animations didn't display.

what do I wrong??
sharkius

Post by sharkius »

I tried installing that too, on 0.6.1 final, and on previous nightlies, and haven't gotten any to work.
Das beste für die Leute. Das beste für die Masse. Das beste für die Welt.
<a href="http://www.sharkshack.tk">The Shark Shack</a>
My butt is lumpy. How 'bout yours?
amano

Post by amano »

f***

first they remove native mng support and tell us to use the extension instead.

but now the extension doesn't work.

556 people pray for mng in bugzilla (beg-zilla?) but nobody dares to tell us how to get it and why it was removed.

who else can't install the extension??

Vote for the bug in bugzilla: http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18574
Old GlennRP

Post by Old GlennRP »

Doesn't work for me, Windows 95. I believe the author of the extension has only tested it under Linux and it works for him.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Also, has the extension been kept up to date?
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
amano

Post by amano »

well on the extension site it's called "MNG Support (for windows)".
I doubt that it was tested on linux.

see: http://texturizer.net/firebird/extensions.html

if we guess that the extension worked some time ago and we know that it doesn't for the moment, we can conclude that it isn't kept up to date.

sadly enough, it doesn't work even with the current official firebird release.

maybe it's a seamonkey only extension???
DonPete

Post by DonPete »

MNG extension works for me. I used the version 1.0.5-2 .xpi for Linux, and haven't had any problems with it.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.5b) Gecko/20030731 Mozilla Firebird/0.6.1
GNU/Ben

Post by GNU/Ben »

Try using the extensions found at http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18574

The Linux one worked for me.
"When you say 'I wrote a program that crashed Windows', people just stare at you blankly and say 'Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*'."
-- Linus Torvalds
Gentoo: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041210 Firefox/1.0
amano

Post by amano »

hmm. I went to the bugzilla site and had a look there at the attachments. I found a windows xpi and tried to install this one. but it gave me the same result, so the xpi is probably the same.

so we can conclude: the xpi that is posted officially on the extension website (intended for windows) doesn't work. the one that is buried deep in bugzilla (intended for Linux) works.

any reports from mac users?
Old GlennRP

Post by Old GlennRP »

I've opened bug #214737 on this. It didn't work for me on Windows95
when I tried it a couple of times.

Update: the bug was immediately marked INVALID. It seems that bug reports about XPIs are unacceptable. #:-(
Last edited by Old GlennRP on August 1st, 2003, 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hendikins

Post by Hendikins »

In bug 18574, mconnor@rogers.com wrote:------- Additional Comments From mconnor@rogers.com 2003-08-01 04:02 -------
I hate to reply with this many cc's, but leaving the previous comment without a
response helps nothing.

bernd, the extension in question has issues on Firebird Windows, but works on
Seamonkey Windows and both products under Linux (apparently), at least based on
that and other threads. mozz.dll does not exist under Firebird, so the
extension isn't really compatible. Maybe the extension author should update it,
who knows whether he's interested still. If MNG is that important in the short
term, use Mozilla Navigator with the extension or use Linux.

This would appear to be the problem, no?
amano

Post by amano »

muahahah.

I wonder why they put it on the official extension site as MNG Support (for Windows), if it has these problems.

I can't switch to linux either, cause my adsl modem lacks linux driver support (zyxel prestige 630-11).

the new bug is already marked INVALID in bugzilla because: "This looks like a problem with the XPI itself and not with the XPI Install
Engine -> invalid"
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

it's on the list of extensions because it probably worked at some point. perhaps the browser changed. For example, old builds of DOM Inspector don't work with different versions of Firebird.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
Old GlennRP

Post by Old GlennRP »

alanjstr wrote:it's on the list of extensions because it probably worked at some point. perhaps the browser changed. For example, old builds of DOM Inspector don't work with different versions of Firebird.

I tried it imediately when it was first posted, and I reported in another mozillazine thread that it didn't work for me. The author replied that he had only tested under Linux and it worked for him. I don't know what are the circumstances where it *does* work on Windows but suspect it might have to do with whether the build enables or disables shared libraries. I know that it doesn't work with aebrahim's "optimized builds".
michaell522

Post by michaell522 »

amano wrote:I wonder why they put it on the official extension site as MNG Support (for Windows), if it has these problems.

It's not "official" in the sense that it's maintained by Mozilla.org - all the extensions have their own maintainers, they're not maintained by Mozilla.org. That's also why bugzilla.mozilla.org bugs on them are invalid - it may just be a question of a quick update to the XPI - someone should tell/ask biesi about it.