[Ext] PrefBar - The all in one button container

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
M-Reimer

[Ext] PrefBar - The all in one button container

Post by M-Reimer »

As usual it will take some time until reviews are done, but in a few days, PrefBar 6.3 will ship as official compatibility update with Firefox 26.

This release also contains first fixes to get compatible with the new "Australis" theme, so give it a try if you already use an Australis based Firefox.

I've also replaced all occurrences of "Preferences Toolbar" with just "PrefBar". I don't want to advertise PrefBar to be a "toolbar" (separate bar in your browser) anymore, as this is just wrong with current PrefBar versions. You can use the "PrefBar menu" button or you can move the PrefBar button group to other toolbars. No need to use PrefBar's own toolbar!

PrefBar Homepage
PrefBar at AMO
Last edited by M-Reimer on May 21st, 2014, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ElTxolo

Re: [Ext] PrefBar 6.3.0 released

Post by ElTxolo »

How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
M-Reimer

Post by M-Reimer »

Moving discussion over from: viewtopic.php?p=13305569#p13305569
dickvl wrote:Thanks Manuel. I'm using your PrefBar extension for years (I think since Mozilla Suite 1.0) and just updated to the new 6.3.0 release (seem to have missed it), so thanks for the continued support to keep the extension working. I noticed that you've added Australis support, so thanks for that!

The code I posted above is based on what you use in your extension.

Could you consider to use this code in buttonCommands.js as that will make it possible to only set the width or height?

Code: Select all

function prefbarSetResolution(value) {
  var vA=value.split("x");
  if(vA[0])window.outerWidth = vA[0];
  if(vA[1])window.outerHeight = vA[1];
}

Thank you for your suggestion. This is a good idea, but it needs a bit more work as "prefbarGetResolution" has to be updated, too. I'll keep this in mind for the next release.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

It happens a lot to me that I drag the border by accident when I want to scroll instead.
I only have width settings in the Resize button defined, so I'm not really affected.

I use this for the set function:

if (value == 'PROMPT') {
value = goPrefBar.msgPrompt(null, 'width x height', window.outerWidth+'x'+window.outerHeight, 'Resize');
}
if (value != null) {
var vA = value.split("x");
if(vA[0])window.outerWidth = vA[0];
if(vA[1])window.outerHeight = vA[1];
}

Get function:

value = prefbarGetResolution(); value = value.replace(/^(\d+)x(\d+)$/,"$1");
M-Reimer

Post by M-Reimer »

Here you'll find your code with some modifications added (get-function, some documentation):
http://git.tuxfamily.org/?p=prefbar/mai ... h=b6b4f2f5
I forgot to update the build date, so PrefBar will not update the button automatically. You'll have to use the "Reset" button if you want to test the get-function.

And another short update: Mozdev.org is down since some days. This means, that Bugzilla can't be used. Worst-Case I'll either have to install my own Bugzilla instance or give up to have a bugtracker at all.
psaulm119

Post by psaulm119 »

I just inserted a link to Outlook.com email (the link is actually mail.live.com if that matters). I have got favicons within seconds for the other four links I put up on the prefbar (two for Outllook Web Access email acounts, one for turnitin.com, the other for inoreader.com). Why isn't my outlook.com link getting a favicon? I am pretty sure that the favicons appeared very very soon after I put the links up on prefbar.
Paul
M-Reimer

Post by M-Reimer »

You have to get sure the URL, you enter in the "link" button, really points to the target! So please click your link and wait a second. Maybe your link doesn't point to the real target, so you get redirected. Copy the resulting redirected URL and replace your current URL in the "link" button with the new one.
psaulm119

Post by psaulm119 »

M-Reimer wrote:You have to get sure the URL, you enter in the "link" button, really points to the target! So please click your link and wait a second. Maybe your link doesn't point to the real target, so you get redirected. Copy the resulting redirected URL and replace your current URL in the "link" button with the new one.

OK that was it. As soon as I OKed out, the favicon appeared. Thanks.
Paul
HamSalad

Post by HamSalad »

Since updating to Firefox 27, the "Restore Tab" button no longer works. (I tend to use that one a lot. :oops: )

EDIT: This may be a false alarm. It looks like this is a Tab Mix Plus issue. Sorry about that. ](*,)
psaulm119

Post by psaulm119 »

For the last couple of days (perhaps after a recent Aurora update?) Prefbar has not displayed several links that I had on the prefbar. Instead what I see is one button PB and a down arrow. Clicking that button will give me my links and thier icons. You can see a screenshot of what I'm talking about. http://paulrittman.com/prefbar.png

Is there a way to get the links and icons back on the navigation bar, where they were before?
Paul
M-Reimer

Post by M-Reimer »

You placed the "PrefBar menu" item to the navigation toolbar. Remove it and place the "PrefBar toolbar items" item instead.
psaulm119

Post by psaulm119 »

OK I didn't know those were two separate options. I think trying a different version of FF garbled the icons up for me.... all is well now. Thanks.
Paul
psaulm119

Post by psaulm119 »

Having trouble getting a favicon for a link on prefbar to inoreader.com.

The link is working; I have given it a title and a label (Inoreader). The link is NOT a redirect---it takes me straight to inoreader.com. Even after logging in, the URL in the urlbar says "inoreader.com." that is exactly what the line in the link says.

What do I need to do to get a favicon? Having just reinstalled FF Beta, and started a new profile, I have gotten 3 other links to give me favicons. I was using this same browser and version of PrefBar yesterday and all was well.

EDIT: Found my own answer. The URL needed to be modified by inserting "https://" in front, and "/" at the end. I did this and within 2 seconds after I clicked on the link in the PrefBar, the icon appeared.
Paul
wakanasakai

Post by wakanasakai »

I installed Prefbar 6.3.0 in my firefox 20.0.1 on March 29, 2014. I did so because it's makers claim that it has the option to let you turn javascript on or off for a specific tab. I found out the HARD way that that is only half correct. After I installed Prefbar 6.3.0, I rummaged through it's options, found the option "Javascript (Tab)", selected it as the only thing that Prefbar would display (it was the only function that I could think of that I couldn't find a substitute addon or about:config setting for), & tested it out on a few tabs after opening them. The tabs that were already open, but that I didn't turn off javascript in, seemed unaffected (which I was expecting), & the tabs that I did turn off javascript in were affected (after I reloaded them, of course).

I tried opening a new (google maps), only to find that javascript was turned OFF for that tab. I didn't go there from a link in a tab that had javascript turned off either. I went there from a bookmark that I have to google maps. I tried bing maps in a new tab instead (also from a bookmark), & it had javascript turned off. I checked Prefbar for both of those tabs to see if Prefbar showed that javascript was turned off for them or not, but Prefbar showed that javascript was turned on for both of them. I then tried LOTS of sites that I know of, & all of them that rely on javascript (blender-swap & youtube come to mind, but there were others too) had various functions on their sites disabled. It was getting late, so I shut down & went home.

Today, on March 31, 2014, I went back to the library (my only wifi provider), started firefox, & found that the library's redirect login screen (you have to go through that to get onto their wifi) told me that javascript was disabled. I disabled & removed Prefbar 6.3.0 & restarted firefox, only to have the library's redirect login screen tell me that javascript was still disabled. I checked firefox's Options > Content, was surprised to see that javascript was disabled there, re-enabled javascript there, closed firefox (& checked task manager to make sure that it was closed), restarted firefox, & got the same "Javascript is disabled" message AGAIN! I checked firefox's Options > Content, which showed that javascript was enabled, so I went to about:config, typed in "prefbar", & found only 2 entries. I tried to delete them, but they couldn't be deleted, so I closed firefox, went to where firefox hides it's pref.js file, opened it with notepad++, located the 2 entries for Prefbar, deleted them, saved the changes, restarted firefox, & got the same "Javascript is disabled" message AGAIN!

At that point, I thought that I was hosed. Then I remembered that I had never un-installed IE (currently at version 11), so I kept firefox running long enough to use FEBE & then CLEO (thank god I already had them installed) to back up my addons, backed up my bookmarks & some other things (several months ago, I researched exactly which files I would need to back up in case of a doomsday disaster like this, & I had all of that info typed into a text file specifically for that reason), went online with IE-11 (I had never un-installed it because of this very possibility), grabbed a new firefox 20.0.1 installer (from filehippo) & spent several hours un-installing, re-installing, & customizing firefox back into working condition.

Before anybody asks, the only change that I had made when I installed Prefbar 6.3.0 was installing Prefbar 6.3.0. No other changes at all, no other addons installed, un-installed, disabled, enabled, or anything. I don't know what went wrong, but I'll just have to get used to always having javascript always enabled for all tabs, because I won't be trying Prefbar again.
M-Reimer

Post by M-Reimer »

psaulm119 wrote:EDIT: Found my own answer. The URL needed to be modified by inserting "https://" in front, and "/" at the end. I did this and within 2 seconds after I clicked on the link in the PrefBar, the icon appeared.

Yes, that's the reason for the problem. Best is to open the website, you want to create a link for, and copy the full URL from the address bar.