[EXT] Download Status Bar

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
xadiCanione

Re: [EXT] Download Status Bar

Post by xadiCanione »

Splat-NJ wrote:I reviewed this extension and the author requested a screenshot but I can't figure how to attach/add one. I'm running FF v28 with DSB 8.5.0 but since about 2 releases ago of DSB I haven't been able to fully clear the download status bar. Hitting the clear button sometimes clears only a few files or clears all. I don't understand why it does this.

Hi Splat-NJ,

Thank you so much for feedback.

You can take screenshot and upload to imgur and please paste the link here.

Cheers
xadiCanione

Post by xadiCanione »

Vulcannis wrote:Since around FF 27 or so there's been a bug where if FF is left open for days extra download bars are opened after a certain length of time. Once they appear, downloading files will open (and auto close) a new bar, but the empty extra bars continue to sit there taking up space. They can't be closed, though the other right-click menu items do work normally. With the plugin version from a couple weeks ago the new bar would have some recently downloaded files shown as well (2 entries for each, actually,) but with the current version they are just empty.

I updated to 8.5.0 a couple days ago, and as usual for the first day everything worked normally. Yesterday a new empty bar appeared, and rather than restarting FF I left it open. Now today there's 2 empty bars, which I've never seen before. The first one seems to take about one a day or so to show up normally, maybe it's really one per day? Restarting FF gets rid of them... but I prefer to leave my browser open for days to weeks so this is pretty annoying.

Is there any other info you would like? I am a dev, though not an extension writer, so let me know what to check for and I can poke around a bit. Oh, and the only options I have turned on are clear after launching, confirm before deleting, and auto close on a file type.

Hi Vulcannis,

Thank you so much for your report.

That should not happen. It seems that something prevents properly removing the old version from your Firefox when an update is available.

Please remove the add-on from Add-ons page, Restart Firefox and Reinstall add-on from official page to reset settings and files.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... tatus-bar/

If you encounter any bug, try to copy errors from Tools / Web Developer / Error Console.

Cheers
Vulcannis

Post by Vulcannis »

xadiCanione wrote:That should not happen. It seems that something prevents properly removing the old version from your Firefox when an update is available.

Please remove the add-on from Add-ons page, Restart Firefox and Reinstall add-on from official page to reset settings and files.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... tatus-bar/

If you encounter any bug, try to copy errors from Tools / Web Developer / Error Console.

Cheers

That seems to have fixed it, 3 days now with no issues. Guess something got left behind when it went restartless. Thanks!
«G~Li†ch»

Post by «G~Li†ch» »

Only "percent", "remaining time" and "speed"?
I need "Downloaded" option in bytes/kB/MB, or customizable digit colors:
B: 1,627
kB: 14.1
MB: 10.0
I waiting for these settings:
after 4,095 Bytes switch to kBytes view
after 999,99 kB switch to MBytes
after 99,999 MB switch to GBytes
just add these text fields ;)
I look to progress bar, and I want to know, how many kb downloaded
Vulcannis

Post by Vulcannis »

Vulcannis wrote:That seems to have fixed it, 3 days now with no issues. Guess something got left behind when it went restartless. Thanks!

Spoke too soon, happened again this morning. This time it was 5 days, which is the longest it's ever been. I didn't notice anything unusual in the browser console... but I did notice it checked for extension updates recently. No timestamp so I'm not sure when that happened, but it must have been within a day. Could the extra bars be related to that somehow? I wonder if the bars appearing correlated with times that I installed/upgraded the extension... that would explain why the issue seemed to be increasing in frequency yet only happened once since I did a clean re-install of it.
xadiCanione

Post by xadiCanione »

Hi guys,

I need your help. I submitted my add-on to be Featured but today I see that another add-on which copies most of my add-on has been featured instead.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... statusbar/

How can this happen? With all my respect, my add-on has better properties and statistics than other add-on.

· My add-on is older than it. I published Dec, 12 2013 while the other was published Jan 2, 2014
· Most of the functions and ideas are copied from my add-on into that add-on
· My add-on has 172,000 users where it has 43,000 users
· My add-on has 193 reviews while it has 116 reviews
· My add-on has better support. My support forum has 69 pages while the other one has only 8 pages.
· I sent over 100 updates for my add-on while the other has 12 updates.

I submitted according to this policy page and my add-on met all criteria required.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/develo ... ecommended

I am sorry but I can not understand why my add-on is not chosen as Featured while my add-on has better meet criteria. This is so unfair.

I need your help and ideas on this. Is there any thing I can do at all?

Cheers
MistaTom

Post by MistaTom »

@ xadiCanione

Well I dunno really, It appears that you tick all the boxes so maybe its something personal ?

Did you just miss the submission date for April ? (Maybe it will feature next month ?)
Maybe the current "Advisory Board" is made up from "S3" users ?

From https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/develo ... ecommended
...and you WILL receive an email regarding the decision.

Has this happened ?
Have you had that email ?

Can AMY TSAY help ?
She is "The add-ons community manager at Mozilla".
Whatever one of those is she chose "S3" as the "Pick of the month", despite the fact that we are only 2 days into April.
She must be able to tell you why she chose that extension over yours.

Whatever, don't let it stop you developing DSB, there is bound to be a simple reason behind it.

Regards.
MrTom.
xadiCanione

Post by xadiCanione »

MistaTom wrote:@ xadiCanione

Well I dunno really, It appears that you tick all the boxes so maybe its something personal ?

Hi MistaTom,

Thank you very much for your help on the topic.

Yes I also suspect this might be personal, I had an issue with a Add-ons Mozilla editor who reviewed my add-on updates. I will later provide details. But this should not prevent my add-on to be evaluated objectively according to Featured Policy.

MistaTom wrote:Did you just miss the submission date for April ? (Maybe it will feature next month ?)
Maybe the current "Advisory Board" is made up from "S3" users ?

I sent it in January waiting for almost 3 months. Even asked Amy for confirmation. Check the comments please.
https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2014/01 ... ent-176707
https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2014/01 ... ent-176767

...and you WILL receive an email regarding the decision.

No I did not get any email.

MistaTom wrote:Can AMY TSAY help ?
She is "The add-ons community manager at Mozilla".
Whatever one of those is she chose "S3" as the "Pick of the month", despite the fact that we are only 2 days into April.
She must be able to tell you why she chose that extension over yours.

I sent her an email and posted comment for April page but it is waiting moderation.
https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2014/04 ... d-add-ons/

MistaTom wrote:Whatever, don't let it stop you developing DSB, there is bound to be a simple reason behind it.

I was sleepless by days to code up the features user requested so they can use it as soon as possible. I can not accept someone to come up after me, copy me and get the title I deserved. This is so unfair to me. I got this very personal.
appasaja

Post by appasaja »

@ xadiCanione, I am stunned n sad at whats happened.

I have watched you work on DSB from inception, deligently n professionally. Always courteous in your approach.

Plainly, by the info you've shown above, you have certainly an excess of reviews and users. To me this is very much like American Idol or The Voice where it is the public vote that MUST count. This is reflected in number of users who believe in the dev and solidity of product. Something the selection pannel should certainly consider, not just for monthly but for the best of the best until another product surpasses in functionality.

So, please fight, make it broad, make it powerful, make it solid, ..... make DSB speak for itself. Users will naturally gravitate to what works for them best.
Personally, I feel that you shouldnt be upset coz it makes the 'Featured' a farce when you KNOW that user count says what they think of your work. Satisfaction is where its at, no? :)
Best wishes mate.
xadiCanione

Post by xadiCanione »

appasaja wrote:@ xadiCanione, I am stunned n sad at whats happened.

I have watched you work on DSB from inception, deligently n professionally. Always courteous in your approach.

Plainly, by the info you've shown above, you have certainly an excess of reviews and users. To me this is very much like American Idol or The Voice where it is the public vote that MUST count. This is reflected in number of users who believe in the dev and solidity of product. Something the selection pannel should certainly consider, not just for monthly but for the best of the best until another product surpasses in functionality.

So, please fight, make it broad, make it powerful, make it solid, ..... make DSB speak for itself. Users will naturally gravitate to what works for them best.
Personally, I feel that you shouldnt be upset coz it makes the 'Featured' a farce when you KNOW that user count says what they think of your work. Satisfaction is where its at, no? :)
Best wishes mate.

Hi appasaja,

Thank you so much for your help and kind words.

I did my best because I respect users and think that they deserve the best. I put lots of effort into this project last 5 months. I am happy by the feedback. But please place yourself into my position. With my all respect, what would you think if you did better but some other won it? If my add-on got Featured title, more users would install and more Press would make news about my add-on which eventually bring more users.

This is injustice. I personally believe in and seek for Justice in my life. Actually Featured title is not important. I just seek why my add-on did not get Featured title although it was a better candidate.

Would you mind posting your comment here so more public attention is reflected on topic.
https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2014/04 ... d-add-ons/

Cheers
MistaTom

Post by MistaTom »

Well, I'm not sure whats going on but this statement from Amy...
...but S3.download statusbar received more votes from the community board. You’re welcome to nominate your add-on again though, and we’ll include it on the list for June

...gives us a little more insight into the "selection" process......its nothing to do with actual "users" at all.

Its interesting to note the last part, "...list for June".
The guidelines state that add-ons cannot be re-submitted within 3 months......perhaps its a genuine mistake on their part and this is their way of correcting it ?

Who knows ?

Nominate it again for a June inclusion. You have Amy's reply to fall back on if its not.
Unfortunately, despite being included, the result may be the same in which case it may be your "issue" with a Mozilla editor that's the problem.

Regards.
MrTom.
appasaja

Post by appasaja »

Hi xadiCanione,
if you read my post a little more deeply, you will see in greater depth my meaning on a lot of things with respect to you situation and apreciation of how your personality shows respect and kindness towards other people. Unfortunately, some people dont reciprocate. Perhaps you hope for users to appeal on your behalf.

At my age, I have been in your position more times than you can imagine. Thats why I encouraged you to bulldoze other project/s through sheer quality and if you are able to achieve this, your work WILL shine through and speak LOUDER for itself. This is how I've overcome injustices, actions speak louder than words. Yes, certainly being flagged as featured can bring more users, but as I said, if your extension proves time and again to be superior, users will want what works best for them. This is where what you do counts.

As programmer, you are a logical thinker, right. Try this. Clear your mind from anger at this injustice if you can. I admit, we all have egos and that can work against us most times, this injustices bites at our perception of wrong and right. So clear your mind .... step back and look at this as a third party and apply your logic cleanly. You might see all this in a different light. Dont dance to other peoples songs, dance to your own. All this 'heat' cripples your objectivity, creative juices and zaps your energy (including loss of sleep ... stays in your mind like a cancer when awake). Illogical, negative, senseless and unnecessary, no?

Think about it. An extension that blows away the competition .... there's always competition ... everywhere. Seeing your capabilities, you can do it.
You are a good person and I know exactly how you feel. May the best man or product win, what to do, the world is cold. You want justice, .... show how good your extension can be and it'll go on your update features records that others just follow as copy cats, no one can say otherwise. Best defense is offense, with quality DSB. Thats why I mentioned, you can make this 'feature' thing a farce and the people who "decide", shameful. You have dignity, you are not a beggar to need their (community board) approval, its the users you want to be happy with your work.

Slow down, breath deep, think about what you want to do. When you started DSB, answer to yourself what was your objective. Achieved or not yet? Recognition looks for you when you least expect it. Peace.
xadiCanione

Post by xadiCanione »

appasaja wrote:Hi xadiCanione,
if you read my post a little more deeply, you will see in greater depth my meaning on a lot of things with respect to you situation and apreciation of how your personality shows respect and kindness towards other people. Unfortunately, some people dont reciprocate. Perhaps you hope for users to appeal on your behalf.

At my age, I have been in your position more times than you can imagine. Thats why I encouraged you to bulldoze other project/s through sheer quality and if you are able to achieve this, your work WILL shine through and speak LOUDER for itself. This is how I've overcome injustices, actions speak louder than words. Yes, certainly being flagged as featured can bring more users, but as I said, if your extension proves time and again to be superior, users will want what works best for them. This is where what you do counts.

As programmer, you are a logical thinker, right. Try this. Clear your mind from anger at this injustice if you can. I admit, we all have egos and that can work against us most times, this injustices bites at our perception of wrong and right. So clear your mind .... step back and look at this as a third party and apply your logic cleanly. You might see all this in a different light. Dont dance to other peoples songs, dance to your own. All this 'heat' cripples your objectivity, creative juices and zaps your energy (including loss of sleep ... stays in your mind like a cancer when awake). Illogical, negative, senseless and unnecessary, no?

Think about it. An extension that blows away the competition .... there's always competition ... everywhere. Seeing your capabilities, you can do it.
You are a good person and I know exactly how you feel. May the best man or product win, what to do, the world is cold. You want justice, .... show how good your extension can be and it'll go on your update features records that others just follow as copy cats, no one can say otherwise. Best defense is offense, with quality DSB. Thats why I mentioned, you can make this 'feature' thing a farce and the people who "decide", shameful. You have dignity, you are not a beggar to need their (community board) approval, its the users you want to be happy with your work.

Slow down, breath deep, think about what you want to do. When you started DSB, answer to yourself what was your objective. Achieved or not yet? Recognition looks for you when you least expect it. Peace.

Hi appasaja,

You have great wisdom. As you said I need to clear my mind. Well, this is my week point. I can't take injustice easy. But your points are totally right and logical. And thanks again for your help today.

Cheers
Last edited by xadiCanione on April 2nd, 2014, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xadiCanione

Post by xadiCanione »

MistaTom wrote:Well, I'm not sure whats going on but this statement from Amy...
...but S3.download statusbar received more votes from the community board. You’re welcome to nominate your add-on again though, and we’ll include it on the list for June

...gives us a little more insight into the "selection" process......its nothing to do with actual "users" at all.

Its interesting to note the last part, "...list for June".
The guidelines state that add-ons cannot be re-submitted within 3 months......perhaps its a genuine mistake on their part and this is their way of correcting it ?

Who knows ?

Nominate it again for a June inclusion. You have Amy's reply to fall back on if its not.
Unfortunately, despite being included, the result may be the same in which case it may be your "issue" with a Mozilla editor that's the problem.

Regards.
MrTom.

Hi MistaTom,

As a programmer, you are reading clues right and logical. I need to clear my mind and will decide what I can do tomorrow. Please do not stop suggesting. And thanks for your help today.

Cheers
xadiCanione

Post by xadiCanione »

Hi guys,

I sent another update for Download Status Bar, mostly localization updates.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ions/8.6.0

✓ Locale ko-KR Korean
✓ Locale Polish is removed

I apologize from Polish users but because I am new to Mozilla I was not aware of this problem. I searched and asked a lot about this topic and my lawyer advised me to remove Polish Locale because translator of language is a Mozilla Add-ons editor and it is strictly prohibited by Editor Ethics.
https://wiki.mozilla.org/AMO:Editors/Ed ... itorEthics

I will ask for another Polish translator to help localizing the add-on soon.

Cheers