Google Maps Aerials Distorted

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Tom Austin

Google Maps Aerials Distorted

Post by Tom Austin »

FF 28.0 When I type search Google Maps 6219 Martel Ave Dallas, TX 75214, the aerial photos are distorted as in the screenshot below. This doesn't happen in IE. I disabled all my extensions to no effect. What to do?

TheVisitor

Re: Google Maps Aerials Distorted

Post by TheVisitor »

I see same on latest dev Nighly build - looks like Google's new maps are still broken.

click the ? on the map and revert back to the 'old' maps if you prefer.
r4d4

Post by r4d4 »

Tom Austin wrote:. What

zoom OUT

Tom Austin

Post by Tom Austin »

Zooming OUT is not a solution. I think this is a Firefox problem. It doesn't happen in IE or Chrome. If I use the old maps, a different aerial is displayed.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Tom Austin wrote:Zooming OUT is not a solution. I think this is a Firefox problem. It doesn't happen in IE or Chrome. If I use the old maps, a different aerial is displayed.

Perhaps win8 is different, but on my win7 x64 system IE11, and latest Chrome dev does not even offer the 'earth view', only a 'lite' version.
Firefox is only browser here that attempts to display the earthview.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

You could try the old interface, but you have to start with a different URL now.
https://www.google.com/maps?output=classic
Tom Austin

Post by Tom Austin »

Anonymosity wrote:You could try the old interface, but you have to start with a different URL now.

Yes, thanks, the old interface works fine. I do like the new Google Maps,though, and I want to know if it's just me that's having this problem. If so, I can reconfigure something in FF.

I assume you're using a recent version of FF. When you use the Earth view and look up 6219 Martel Ave, Dallas TX, is your aerial view distorted like mine?
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

There definitely is something wrong on Google's end. And for a good part of Dallas.
Interestingly enough, the photos are not the same in the traditional Google Interface (with Firefox), with the new interface and with Internet Explorer. IE 10 gives me the following error message: "You are currently running in Lite mode and 3D Earth view is not available".

I also loaded Google Earth. It shows the same plasticky, distorted trees. Strangely enough, when I flipped the image to get a ground-level view, I noticed that this part of Dallas is suspended over the stars. And no, I'm not drunk.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Google builds these maps from multiple satellite sources from different angles which are all stitched together in both 2D and 3D. It's all VERY complicated and sometimes it happens that data from some sources gets scrambled or translated incorrectly. It doesn't happen often in populated areas, but I've read many reports about these kinds of issues.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Tom Austin wrote:
Anonymosity wrote:You could try the old interface, but you have to start with a different URL now.

Yes, thanks, the old interface works fine. I do like the new Google Maps,though, and I want to know if it's just me that's having this problem. If so, I can reconfigure something in FF.

I assume you're using a recent version of FF. When you use the Earth view and look up 6219 Martel Ave, Dallas TX, is your aerial view distorted like mine?

I am using a recent version of SeaMonkey. When I used the satellite view and zoomed in on that address, there was no distortion. I use FF 24esr, and did not have to change my bookmarks for Google Maps with that one, although it can also handle the new address as well. Tried the sample street views for the new format, and did not like them.