Cannot open PDF files from Firefox

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
alihamilton

Cannot open PDF files from Firefox

Post by alihamilton »

I love Firefox....much faster than IE, nicer interface, great options but for some reason I cannot open PDF files from this browser. I cannot remember this always being a problem but wonder what I am missing.
Ali
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

Using Adobe Reader 7.0?
Using latest Firefox 1.0.2?
Using Mac OS X or Windows?
alihamilton

Post by alihamilton »

I have Adobe 7 as well as the earlier versions. Yes, the latest Firefox and Windows XP Home. As I said, I feel that I used to be able to open PDF from Firefox but do not know at what point I could no longer do so.
Ali
Elder Young

Post by Elder Young »

If you type about:plugins in the address bar do you see any listings for Adobe Acrobat. If not I think that Firefox doesn't know that you have Acrobat installed and you may need to find out where you have a copy of nppdf32.dll. I have a copy in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS, another in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\Browser and a third one C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Setup Files\RdrBig\ENU\Data1.cab and pdf's work for me. The only one that I think might be important for Firefox is the Reader\Browser one, but that's a complete guess. I thought that a copy should be in a Firefox folder, but oh well. If all else fails, you can reinstall Acrobat Reader and things should work.
FallenDarkest

Post by FallenDarkest »

in my opinion, i rather to use Foxit PDF Reader, it works well with Firefox and it free too. it only need less than 2Mb of your space. it load really quick than Abode Reader do. it wont hog your resource and lag the Firefox.

Some people here use Foxit PDF Reader. try it out. it odnt require installion, just click on .exe file to open PDF reader. here the site you can look in, http://foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
alihamilton

Still a problem

Post by alihamilton »

Thanks for responses. I pasted a copy of nppdf32.dll in the Firefox plugin folder....that did not work. I downloaded the Foxit PDF Reader...did not solve the problem either!!
Ali
alihamilton

Success!

Post by alihamilton »

Having tried the above and not getting results, I reinstalled Adobe Reader 7 and it all works fine now...many thanks!
Ali
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

I think there is a bug in the installation routines for Acrobat 7.0 under Windows. I've suffered the problem, I've seen it discussed on Adobe's web-site, etc., and the solution always seems to be to re-install version 7. I'm guessing, but I reckon that the upgrade process removes something required by version 7 as soon as the pc reboots. The reinstall isn't an upgrade, so whichever file (or registry setting) which disappears doesn't get wiped.

Regards,
Charles.
aceyx

Post by aceyx »

i had been having the same problem, opening PDF files both within the browser itself and sending it to the external program--it would appear to download completely but just stop at the download manager. strangely, this only occurred on my desktop where both reader and acrobat (full) were installed. this was a pain, because i prefer westlaw to print to pdf, and i do most of my research on the desktop. i digress;

i fixed the problem by going to tools / options / downloads and manually pointing firefox to the program it should use (acrord32.exe). PDF document handling was already there, but i traced the source again and magically, it works.

i will be installing reader on the laptop shortly, and will try to remember to update this page if the same problem and solution occur. hopefully this works for others in the meantime.

(note: xp pro, ff1.0.1, acrobat/acrobat reader 7.0)
ibradly

Post by ibradly »

I've been having some problems with Firefox 1.0.2 when it comes to downloading PDF's. For some reason, FF wants to use the extension .aspx instead of .pdf. Either that or it will save the file to my desktop with no extension and I get a generic icon. Finder doesn't know how to open this generic icon, so I have to manually add the .pdf extension and then Preview opens it just fine. Is anyone else having this issue? Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Firefox 1.0.2
MacOS 10.3.8
eoff

Post by eoff »

This free online service is good to know about - converts PDF to HTML (max doc size 2mb) and vice versa.

http://www.gohtm.com/#