Metal Lion Tigers & Graphite.

Discuss application theming and theme development.
Frank Lion

Metal Lion Tigers & Graphite.

Post by Frank Lion »

Metal Lion Australis Tiger SP

Compatibility - Firefox 29.0a1 - 31.0

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -tiger-sp/

Metal Lion Australis Tiger

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... lis-tiger/

Metal Lion Australis Graphite

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -graphite/

Support Link - http://franklion.co.uk/contact.html
Last edited by Frank Lion on February 17th, 2015, 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Ken Saunders

Re: Metal Lion Tigers & Graphite.

Post by Ken Saunders »

I haven't tried these -yet- but I looked on AMO and my first thoughts are,
awesome, awesome, awesome!

I had no idea that you were back, but then again, perhaps it's because I've had my head up my butt.
I'll try to get the word out.
Not about my head no longer up my butt, I mean the awesome new work.

Have you considered releasing an add-on that just offers the anti-Australis and other features?
I know that there are few add-ons offering that, but I like what you have going on.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

For some odd reason, people seem not to be reading the Features List on the AMO site links above. I know this because I'm getting a lot of 'I didn't realise your theme did this..or your theme did that'.

Yeah, themes have changed and now do a lot more than pretty things up. Things like this -

Features -

# Fully styled throughout, including Addons Manager, New Tab, Option window, etc.
# Toolbar heights reduced and spaces between toolbar buttons reduced.
# Tab height reduced substantially and concave/convex curves of tabs redesigned.
# Tabs on bottom feature restored and a brand new style of tabs created, including a special hover effect.

# Maximum tab width increased to 250px as in earlier versions.
# New Tab (cross style) button added to Tab Bar, normal New Tab toolbar button can then be placed anywhere.
# Close Tab buttons on all tabs under all conditions. These are dark so as not to distract, but light up on hover.
# Forward/Back buttons moved away from addressbar and 'conditional Forward feature' has been overridden.
# Combined Reload/Stop buttons placed between Forward/Back and addressbar, as people requested.
# The distracting feature of the addressbar contents flexing about has been overridden.

# Notification popups in addressbar moved to far right end of it.
# Addressbar + Forward/Back + Stop/Reload can now be moved as one to any other toolbar desired.*
# Bookmark animation restyled.
# Searchbar History dropdown list and dropmarker has been restored.
# Normal sized toolbar buttons in a new style with self contained hover/active effects, i.e. no backgrounds.
# Forward/Back normal/hover/active/disabled background effects improved...a lot.
# Styled scrollbars that can be universally used or disabled, if required.*
# Flexible spaces, spaces and separators feature restored.*
# Bottom bar (Addons bar) feature restored. This is customisable and can also be toggled off. *

# Sidebars now open to a 800 pixel maximum width and have no minimum width.
# Findbar restyled and re-ordered.

Bet no one bothers to read this either. :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

Pat, you did some wonderful stuff there! :wink:

Didn't think i'd find a decent theme for 29 this soon.
Now if i could only choose which one i prefer...
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

DaComboMan wrote:Pat, you did some wonderful stuff there! :wink:

Didn't think i'd find a decent theme for 29 this soon.
Now if i could only choose which one i prefer...

Thanks, but the name is Frank. Frank Lion. ;)

No need to choose, try all of them as they are only each around 100kb in size. As I mentioned, themes are changing. Well, mine have.
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

Ooops! So sorry about that Frank!
Shouldn't have known better.
It's 'cause i had seen Patrick signed somewhere. Distractions!

I've got Classic Restorer running and it's playing tricks on me.
So i won't write more about your themes for now.
Wish Mozilla would have left the interface the way it was...
Why is it when we have a good thing they have to re-invent the whole wheel?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

DaComboMan wrote:Ooops! So sorry about that Frank!

No problem, mate.
jimfitter
Folder@Home

Post by jimfitter »

Thanks for giving us more of your 5 star themes, Frank. They look beautiful and work flawlessly.
I have one visual that's bothering me however, and it's not a naked Bubbles DeVere. As you see, in the menu bar, the text has that terrible foggy 'aero' look to it.
Is there a toggle somewhere, or a bit of userchrome.css code that I can add, to eliminate this?

1347x131
Inside every old man is a young man wondering what the hell happened. - Terry Pratchett
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

jimfitter wrote:Thanks for giving us more of your 5 star themes, Frank. They look beautiful and work flawlessly.

Hi Jim, I hope you are keeping well and thanks for your comments. These four were all thrown together in my usual slapdash fashion back in January during a quiet week.

I have one visual that's bothering me however, and it's not a naked Bubbles DeVere. As you see, in the menu bar, the text has that terrible foggy 'aero' look to it.
Is there a toggle somewhere, or a bit of userchrome.css code that I can add, to eliminate this?

That 'terrible foggy' effect is a much prized feature of Win7 Aero, although I strongly suspect my colleague, Mr Paul 'Bag..' Calf, would take a different view.

I seem to recall that effect happens on whatever toolbar is at the top and so the fix includes all three that could be there. Just comment out the code for a particular toolbar to show the 'effect' once more. -

Code: Select all

/*..Franks Disappearing Fog Trick..............*/
#toolbar-menubar > toolbaritem,#toolbar-menubar > .toolbarbutton-1 {
   text-shadow: none !important;}

#nav-bar toolbaritem,#nav-bar .toolbarbutton-1 {
   text-shadow:none !important;}

#TabsToolbar > toolbaritem,#TabsToolbar .toolbarbutton-1 {

...for amusement, you could also try this -

/*..Frank Demonstration...................*/ 
#toolbar-menubar {
   -moz-appearance: none!important;}
#toolbar-menubar:hover {
background: -moz-linear-gradient(left, red, orange, yellow, green,
blue, indigo, violet) !important;}

For more generalised userChrome.css snippets, see also this thread - viewtopic.php?p=13219133#p13219133

Incidentally, you may wonder why it is a little quiet on this thread? - it's because all of the Support links on the AMO site, and in the opening post in this thread, all go straight to my website. I'm pleased to report that so far, it has all been some very kind comments and 0 bugs.
jimfitter
Folder@Home

Post by jimfitter »

Frank wrote:Incidentally, you may wonder why it is a little quiet on this thread? - it's because all of the Support links on the AMO site, and in the opening post in this thread, all go straight to my website...

Sorry for sullying this thread. And thanks for pointing it out politely. If I was on your side of the pond, I'd say I was rooting around in the wrong bog, or some such silliness? :p
Thanks for helping with the chrome, but it only half fixed it, and the rainbow bar is fun.
I'll continue this in the proper forum. Thanks again. :)
Inside every old man is a young man wondering what the hell happened. - Terry Pratchett
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

jimfitter wrote:Sorry for sullying this thread. And thanks for pointing it out politely.

Not a problem.

For the benefit of other people, the extension 'forecastfox' has a slightly odd way of naming itself within the internal code. The above problem can/was fixed by the following -

#toolbar-menubar > toolbaritem,#toolbar-menubar > .toolbarbutton-1,#forecastfox-toolbar {

Incidentally, should you ever see the tabs not looking as they do in my screenshots, then that will be an extension causing that. ;)

Anyone should feel more than free to use the Support link for any support needs or suggestions, which can include needing individual fixes for special/individual requirements.

I no longer do 'open' support threads, but I do fix things quietly, efficiently and quickly.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Just to finish off on this one....the 'foggy Aero' effect on text is due to poorly done 'text-shadow' and you see this effect being misused all over the Net. There is nothing wrong with the actual code command, but in the heavy-handed way most coders implement it. So, if you code yourself, don't be automatically be put off from trying it...but lightly, as it can look OK -

This example shows two different text shadow effects being used -

Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Compatibility - Firefox 29.0a1 - 32.0

Version 2.0.1.7.8

Changelog -

# Bottom Bar Text Colour fix
# Edit Bookmark star fix.
# Context-navigation (seen in FF31) background style fix.
# Fallback background colour added under background images (Linux Compiz users)
# Preventative Urlbar break fix for FF 31/32.
# Disabled Items in Context Menus fix.
# Resized Urlbar notification circles fix.
# Website page loading info shows better and now shows on Bottom bar, not above it fix.
# New Tab Grid padding and New Tab Title fix.
# Moveable All Tabs button abilty added to Metal Lion Customise Palette extension.
# Coloured backgrounds added to flex.spaces, spaces and separators when in customise mode. added to Metal Lion Customise Palette extension.

Version 2.0.1.6.7

Changelog -

# Website page loading info shows better and now shows on Bottom bar, not above it fix.
# Titlebar fix to allow tabs to be selected (Titlebar and Menubar hidden) by running mouse along top edge of screen.
# Moveable All Tabs button abilty added to Metal Lion Customise Palette extension.
# Coloured backgrounds added to flex.spaces, spaces and separators when in customise mode. added to Metal Lion Customise Palette extension.

Version - 2.0.1.5.7

Changelog -

# Titlebar fix to allow tabs to be selected (Titlebar and Menubar hidden) by running mouse along top edge of screen.

Last edited by Frank Lion on February 17th, 2015, 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Compatibility - Firefox 29.0a1 - 34.0

Version 2.0.1.7.9

Version 2.0.1.6.8

Version - 2.0.1.5.8

Changelog -

These versions are all now near the top of the review queue and should appear soon.

No major fixes, just making sure that everything works up to Firefox version 34.

#1. I noticed a couple of new buttons have appeared (in the old days, we would now have 2 broken buttons causing havoc. Now, new buttons just harmlessly appear) A E10 Windows button (WTF?) and a Share speechbubble button. They work, they don't break, so I left them alone.

#2. Adjustments to the New Tab Page. Some of this stuff you will not actually see until FF34, but I thought I might as well get this stuff out of the way now. Anyway, New Tab page looks fine now.

#3. Around 33 or 34, it looks like the Options window is going 'inContent' (like the Addons Manager, etc) so I tidied things up there.

#4. Fixed an old bug of 'White background to identity box fix when https site address deleted and edited'

#5. The only other thing that needed fixing was that on Tiger and TigerSP the gap between Forward and Back had increased slightly in Firefox 31+. I've adjusted that gap back to what it should be, which does mean that on Firefox 29 with this version the gap is going to look a bit tight, but most people are on 31 now anyway.

Apart from the above, I couldn't see anything else that needed doing.

Frank :)

Last edited by Frank Lion on February 17th, 2015, 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

A recent (silly) change in Firefox means that the tab close buttons on these themes do not look as I intend them to look, i.e. you shouldn't see them on inactive tabs until you hover over them. Instead, they are showing as bright white crosses. *sigh*

Sometime, I'll do new versions fixing this, but in the meantime, the following in userChrome.css will sort this out for you -

#TabsToolbar[brighttext] .tab-close-button:not(:hover):not([selected="true"]) {
  -moz-image-region: rect(0, 16px, 16px, 0) !important;
}