Thunderbird 24 "Not responding"

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
habakkuk18

Re: Thunderbird 24 "Not responding"

Post by habakkuk18 »

found this @ McAfee:
Workaround

Disable Email Attachment Scan

Double-click the M icon in your taskbar.
Open the Virus and Spyware Protection drawer.
Select Real-Time Scanning.
Open the Settings drawer.
Remove the check from the box beside Scan these attachments and locations: Email attachments.

IMPORTANT: By disabling this feature you will prevent the Real-Time Scanner from scanning attachments you send. If you choose this option, McAfee recommends that you right-click and scan the file manually before you attach and send it.

seems to work fine for me, for now but I would like to see a fix
Windows 7 ;Firefox Version 28.0 ;Thunderbird Version 24.5.0
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It's not a Thunderbird problem and we've been seeing issues relating to McAfee on these forums for a few months now, so I don't know how soon you might expect a correction from them. You might check on the McAfee forums to see if there is any discussion of a solution there.
goldenyears

Post by goldenyears »

I moved Thunderbird 24.4.0 from a old XP PC to a new Win 8.1 PC. Immediately I began experiencing the "not responding" problem. It occurs when I decide to break off writing a message and decline saving it as a draft. I just noticed that "Attaching..." is also displaying at the bottom of the message composition screen during the time Thunderbird is not responding. I have not attempted to attach anything. The "not responding" and "attaching" go away simultaneously eventually. I will be watching to see if the same condition also happens in other situations. Has anyone also seen this "attaching" message and discovered what it signifies? Meanwhile I am trying the various suggestions made in this thread and will report if I find anything that eliminates the problem.
goldenyears

Post by goldenyears »

Nothing I have tried solves this problem: I cannot have a session using Thunderbird without frequent "not responding" episodes. I'm done with Thunderbird, regrettably. So I have a new question: What's the next best e-mail client that I can change to? Back to Outlook maybe?
habakkuk18

Post by habakkuk18 »

My wife uses windows live mail. It is the new outlook express.,
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

habakkuk18 wrote:My wife uses windows live mail. It is the new outlook express.,

Under what operating system? Not under Windows 8?
habakkuk18

Post by habakkuk18 »

Windows 7
retexan599

Post by retexan599 »

retexan599 wrote:I am having the ‘Not Responding’ problem as discussed in this thread. I am a relative newcomer to Thunderbird, only since December 22, 2013. It does not occur with every session, but can be several times a day. The most common action I am taking when it stops responding is a delete function. My situation:
-Windows 8.1 desktop.
-Current TB version is Thunderbird 24.4.0.
-My email is a POP account.
-I run Compact Folders fairly often.
-I am running Thunderbird with add-ons, extensions and plug-ins disabled, and the issue occurs with or without add-ons enabled.
-I am running Thunderbird in TB Safe Mode.
-My A/V is Windows Defender. Do not have and never have had McAfee which is often mentioned here.
-I use the Windows Firewall.
-there are relatively few emails in any of my folders.

There are ‘AppHang’ Report Archives like this on my C: drive.
C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppHang_thunderbird.exe_42b275fc2dd4fd8e5bb8e0acaeaaea014b74ac5_272a9cac_37ece532

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I posted regarding my TB "Not Responding" problem above back on March 24th. I did the recommended fix to delete inbox.msf and inbox files. Since then there have been periods when the problem did not occur and periods when it did. Now on TB 24.5.0. From the Windows 8.1 'AppHang' Report Archives:
• 12/30/2013 - 1/27/2014: frequent reports (hangs) [28 days]
• 1/27/2014 – 3/14/2014: no reports (no hangs) [46 days]
• 3/14/2014 – 4/15/2014: frequent reports (hangs) [32 days]
• 4/15/2014 – 5/16/2014: no reports (no hangs) [31 days]
• 5/16/2014 – 5/18/2014: frequent reports (hangs) [continuing]
It can occur with almost any action taken with Thunderbird. Very frustrating. But it is the one program that works for me at all with a POP account on Windows 8.1. Still looking for answers.
goldenyears

Post by goldenyears »

Sorry, I should have reported to the forum what has solved this condition for me since my last post. Short answer: I have all add-ons and extensions disabled, and now getting a "not responding" condition is very rare. Soon I will begin re-enabling them one by one. If I find one that, when enabled, brings back the condition I'll post which one it is.
goldenyears

Post by goldenyears »

Quite awhile ago I had the problem of Thunderbird not responding so often I could hardly use the program. At someone's suggestion in the forum I turned off all the add-ons and then the problem happened a lot less. (I haven't missed any of the add-ons, so I haven't bothered to try adding them back in one-by-one to find the culprit!) Since then I have been watching for when the problem still happens. I have found that trying to delete e-mails with the delete key seems to cause the problem now and then, and almost always when I have selected multiple e-mails to delete with the delete key. It doesn't seem to be as frequent a problem if I use delete on the drop-down menu. I can't be sure, but it may have something to do with whether the selected e-mail(s) have displayed in the lower portion of the Thunderbird screen before I try to delete them. I'll continue to update my investigation.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

goldenyears wrote:Sorry, I should have reported to the forum what has solved this condition for me since my last post. Short answer: I have all add-ons and extensions disabled, and now getting a "not responding" condition is very rare. Soon I will begin re-enabling them one by one. If I find one that, when enabled, brings back the condition I'll post which one it is.

goldenyears, please post the list of addons that you disabled. Thanks.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

SharonD214 wrote:I'm having the same problem here. I removed the permissions from mcafee and restarted but still can't do anything without Thunderbird stalling :(

Sharon, did you start Windows in safe mode, and then (in Windows start mode) start Thunderbird in safe mode? (McAfee is normally the culprit)
Last edited by wsmwk on August 18th, 2014, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
goldenyears

Post by goldenyears »

I've uninstalled Thunderbird and I am now using FossaMail, a version of Thunderbird. Unfortunately I am having similar problems. I have concluded that this must be a hardware/operating system incompatibility. I think so because the program also hangs sometimes saving a sent message to the Sent folder. I am going to continue looking for the source of the problem but my time to do so is limited. It will be a slow process because I will have to keep a good record of anything I try, and if it doesn't solve the problem, undo whatever I did before trying something else. I will install FossaMail on another computer to see if that is a solution. If the problem has multiple causes, I think it is a hopeless task. As annoying as it is, closing and reopening the program solves the problem temporarily. I will try to find an e-mail client I like if I tire of closing and reopening as a solution. (By the way, my security product is ESET)
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

goldenyears wrote:I've uninstalled Thunderbird and I am now using FossaMail, a version of Thunderbird. Unfortunately I am having similar problems. I have concluded that this must be a hardware/operating system incompatibility. I think so because the program also hangs sometimes saving a sent message to the Sent folder. I am going to continue looking for the source of the problem but my time to do so is limited. It will be a slow process because I will have to keep a good record of anything I try, and if it doesn't solve the problem, undo whatever I did before trying something else. I will install FossaMail on another computer to see if that is a solution. If the problem has multiple causes, I think it is a hopeless task. As annoying as it is, closing and reopening the program solves the problem temporarily. I will try to find an e-mail client I like if I tire of closing and reopening as a solution. (By the way, my security product is ESET)

If you look in windows folder %appdata%\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxx.default\extensions (where xxxxx is the random salt for the profile) you will see the list of addon directories, which you can screen shot for us.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

I don't recall if this information was asked or offered, so I'll just ask ...

(everyone we commented here) It will help if you can tell us whether version 17 had the same problem for you??
And if you don't remember, you can get it from https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org ... n32/en-US/ for Windows English, and https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org ... es/17.0.8/ for other OS.