Mouse gestures for Seamonkey (and Firefox)

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Gort

Re: Mouse gestures for Seamonkey 2.24

Post by Gort »

Nice, that's great news. Works perfectly for me. Cheers.

I only know how to forcefully install an old extension by editing the min-max version lines, but it seems that I should go and learn a little bit more. Looking at the changes between your changes and the original through diff, it didn't seem that daunting a task.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

You can read this small reference and be able to do such modifications yourself :mrgreen:
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

I've completed a new release that enables mouse and rocker gestures in View Page Source, Mail, Message and Mail Compose windows. The gesture definitions are the same for all windows but some actions do not apply to all types of windows. The help contents has detailed information which actions are available in what types of windows.

Also, I've added support for detaching tabs into new windows.

If anyone wants to try it out the new version 1.2.0 is currently available in complete version history.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Today I scanned my computer with Avira AV and it flagged the newest Mouse Gestures Redox extension as infected - the mozgest_20140215.xpi file that Jochen posted earlier in this thread. It complained about mozgestMouseHook.exe in the xpi archive and said it was TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen Trojan. Some AV programs are overzealous in detecting malware so it may be a false positive - or not. No harm seems to be done to my system but I haven't really used much this latest version of MG Redox apart from some quick testing, it sits disabled in the addon manager so I don't know it if would have caused any harm.

Virustotal reports infection by 6 AV applications.

I'm just posting this so that anyone interested is aware of that - and if it's a false positive then hopefully the threat can be disproved.

Post by 4711 »

Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

So I guess this function is used in your extension. But what is the conclusion regarding the AV alerts?
Gort

Post by Gort »

I note that version 1.2.2 of Mouse Gestures for Seamonkey seems to be stuck in a long queue waiting for a preliminary review for about three weeks. Sure, a queue is expected, there is so much the reviewers can be expected to do, but over three weeks seems a bit long and does make one wonder what's going on. Any idea how near to the top of the queue you are?

I'm not trying to be impatient or demand unreasonable action by the reviewers (I'm sure they've got their reasons and I'm fine with the version I'm using), but more puzzled about the delay. Surely it doesn't help the confidence of those creating extensions, especially if there's a bug in the current reviewed version that needs addressing, and is being held back due to the delay.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Yes, in the recent month the position in the queue moves very slowly, currently it's "11 of 139", and the speed is like one position per day in the recent week - very slow. I don't know what is going on and I don't remember the whole queue ever becoming so large, the maximum was 89, I think.

And in this situation I'm sort of stuck with any new releases - I can't even upload a new version now. Well, I can but if I do then the current version in the queue gets erased and the new one goes to the end of the queue so another 3 weeks... Actually, I have a whole new version ready with many new features and fixes but I can't do anything until 1.2.2 gets reviewed.

Yes, this is quite discouraging for developers, I don't know what's going on right now but I hope the problems are temporary. Maybe the devs are too busy working on australis? This is strange as I believe the extensions are the main power behind Firefox and Mozilla won't succeed if they don't have a community of people willing to make extensions - IMO that should be the priority and not fluff like australis, etc.
Gort

Post by Gort »

Thanks for the info. Seems very frustrating. It also seems that the review queue has sky-rocketed over the last few months, if these figures in a post at the Mozilla addons forum are what I think they indicate. Maybe it's Australis, maybe it's the Eich issue, maybe it's something else, but it's a bit worrying.

BTW, I can live without what I'm about to ask, but can I request two gesture options, please? Firstly, a gesture to open a private window. Secondly, a gesture to open the side panel (the one opened by F9). Don't want to complicate things for you, the extension is great as it is, but thought such gestures would be quite useful additions.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Actually, opening the side panel is already done in the new version that I have not released yet. I'll see what I can do about opening private windows :)
Gort

Post by Gort »

Lemon Juice wrote:Actually, opening the side panel is already done in the new version that I have not released yet. I'll see what I can do about opening private windows :)

Great news. Cheers. :) I look forward to the upcoming update.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Well, the queue at AMO is moving at a snail's pace - went from 11 to 8 in the past week. The developers at foums.mozilla.org say this is due to fewer reviewer volunteers at this moment and also they are prioritizing extension updates over new extensions to prepare for best compatibility for the upcoming australis. So it's logical to assume that a SeaMonkey-only extension will not get review priority since it's not relevant for australis...

Therefore I decided to make the next version of Mouse Gestures Suite available here for everyone to download if they want to try out new stuff. I have the new version ready and given the current pace at AMO I don't think we can expect it to be reviewed sooner than in a month's time (at best) so we have a long wait ahead...

This is version 1.3.0rc1 and will most probably be the one uploaded to AMO soon as 1.3.0 (unless some unpleasant bugs come up). This is quite a worthwhile update, I think, as it involves performance improvements for gesture trails and a number of new features and fixes.

Download: mouse-gestures-suite-1.3.0rc1.xpi
update: the new version is already available on AMO.

When you download this version from here you will still get automatic updates from AMO when versions 1.3.0 and later get published there.

Changes in 1.3.0 relative to 1.2.2:

* new action: Show/Hide Sidebar/Folder Pane

* new action: "Double Stack 2 Windows" - takes the current window and previously focused window and places them side by side each covering half of the screen. Works for all kinds of windows (browser, source view, mail & mail compose).

* new action: "Detach next tab and double stack windows" - detaches next tab to new window and places both windows side by side each covering half of the screen. Useful if you have two pages open in tabs and want to view them side by side. The window with the current tab will be positioned on the left half of the screen whereas the new window with the page from the next tab (to the right) will be positioned on the right half of the screen. If the rightmost tab is active then this action will work for the current tab and for the one to the left.

* new action: Open Private Window (which can also act like Open Link in Private Window)

* changed action "Double stack in new window" - now when no link was found under performed gesture the new opened window will be blank (before this change the action was not performed at all)

* pressing Shift while performing gesture will reverse background opening of tab/window for the following actions:
- open new tab/window in foreground
- open new tab/window in background
- open private window
- duplicate tab/window
- open selection in new tab
- search for selection in new tab

* option to disable ClickHeat scripts, which cause gesture delays [see note 1 below]

* Scroll Wheel Navigation - a few more actions can now be performed in succession during single scroll wheel movement:
- scroll to top/bottom of page (makes sense if both are set as scroll wheel actions at the same time so you can scroll fast to top and bottom)
- close document/tab (if "Allow repetition..." pref is set)
- undo close tab (if "Allow repetition..." pref is set)

* improvement: view cookies action now shows also http-only cookies and presents host name for each cookie

* improvement: delete domain cookies action now deletes also http-only cookies and asks for confirmation first

* when in full screen mode "Maximize/Restore" action now exits full screen mode instead of doing nothing

* enabled trails in addon manager and on about:privatebrowsing page

* allow Scroll Wheel Navigation to work in messenger and page source windows when "Perform Gesture Actions" option is selected

* last selected tab in Options is now remembered

* changes to some default gesture definitions

* drastically improved trail drawing speed, especially on large documents like http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/ - there was a long delay after every right button mousedown and trail drawing would consume a lot of CPU and be very slow

* increase scroll amount for page up/down actions because there was a bit too much overlap

* fix: when multiple gestures were defined for the same action only one was visible in Options and others were discarded on subsequent option changes

* fix: "close tab/window" action didn't exit properly from print preview

* fix: console errors when opening options

* fix ordering of new actions in preferences

* some other minor fixes, code clean-up and corrections in help

Notes:

[1] ClickHeat by Labsmedia (at http://www.labsmedia.com/clickheat/index.html) is a javascript library for collecting mouse clicks on web pages and then presenting them on a clicks heatmap. The problem is that this particular library has an inherent flaw in that it locks up the browser for half a second after every mouse click by performing a CPU-intensive loop that really does nothing apart from waiting. This short browser lock-up is enough to interfere with mouse gesture detection since the extension can't really trace mouse movements during that time. By enabling this option ClickHeat will be disabled on the sites you visit. If ClickHeat has been detected and suppressed then after every mouse button press the status bar will show message ClickHeat disabled!. A side effect of this will be that your clicks will not be sent over to the site owner but you can actually treat it as an advantage! This option is disabled by default because it affects the behavior of web pages you visit and can potentially cause some other side effects (but that is very unlikely - ClickHeat is detected by the presence of catchClickHeat() javascript function on web pages). Turn it on for best mouse gesture experience.

Some sites that use ClickHeat:

* toolserver.org - a site to which many Wikipedia pages link in order to present geographic coordinates of locations, for example: http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack. ... _type:city
* http://www.labsmedia.com/clickheat/index.html - the ClickHeat site

Unfortunately, there is no way for any mouse gesture extension to work around the problems caused by such bad-behaving scripts so the only practical solution is to simply block them (actually, this could theoretically be solved with a multi-threaded component for tracing mouse gestures but this is far beyond the scope of this extension).
Last edited by Lemon Juice on May 13th, 2014, 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Some news regarding the extension - version 1.2.2 has finally been reviewed and is available on AMO. I got a reply from the mozilla team that currently they are short of SeaMonkey reviewers and this is the reason why it takes so long (one of the reviewers that accepted my extension in the past no longer deals with SM extensions).

Version 1.3.0rc1 I posted in my previous post is now in the version history on AMO awaiting the review - it has number 1.3.0 and is identical to 1.3.0rc1 except for the version number.

And some news about the FLST (focus last selected tab) extension - slightly off-topic but it was mentioned in this thread earlier. A few months ago I contacted the developer and asked him to enable SeaMonkey support. And today he informed me that he has just released a new version of FLST that supports SeaMonkey out of the box! =D>
Gort

Post by Gort »

It must be your birthday, because 1.3.0 is now up as reviewed. Oh well, 1.2.2 was fun for a few hours. :D

BTW, great news about FLST supporting SeaMonkey. The modified version worked fine under SeaMonkey, so it's great that an extension author took note. :)
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Well, it's not my birthday yet but certainly it's my day :). Maybe they wanted to sweeten my days after such a long wait?... But the fact is that the review queue was unusually short yesterday so may be it's true they were all very busy with the Australis Firefox launch.