New PC, used Mozbackup, Thunderbird very slow.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
theshameoffife

New PC, used Mozbackup, Thunderbird very slow.

Post by theshameoffife »

I was recently given a new PC and so backed up my Thunderbird profile with Mozbackup. I've installed Thunderbird on my new PC (running Windows 7 professional), and imported my old profile using Mozbackup (which I've copied to my computer's C: drive). So far Thunderbird has been all but grinding to a halt whenever I try and open any emails in my inbox or view them in the preview pane. I've also been receiving 'Unresponsive Script' error messages. I've not activated the McAfee plugin though I do have the Lightning Calendar. I've tried compacting my inbox and sent items, and I always did this when automatically prompted before moving computer. I'm setup on a POP server through 1&1 webmail.

Any suggestions?
DanRaisch

Re: New PC, used Mozbackup, Thunderbird very slow.

Post by DanRaisch »

The problem could still be McAfee. There are numerous reports on these forums of performance problems that are eventually traced back to McAfee, either the plug-in or the program in general. You could try uninstalling that and replacing it with freeware like Avast for anti-virus and Comodo for a firewall or, if you prefer, another commercial product.

Although you migrated the entire profile over, the problem could still be an installed extension (you mentioned the script error) so trying Mozilla Safe Mode ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode ) would be worth a try also.
theshameoffife

Post by theshameoffife »

Hi Dan,

I uninstalled McAfee and that has done the trick.

Thanks very much.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.